Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical Problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Problem
    Posted: June-17-2017 at 8:41pm
I've got an electrical issue with the boat, but it gave me 'good' indicators on the way out.

Here we go:
Launched Boat.
It was difficult to start (which is unusual for this boat).
After warmup ~ I thought it was running a little rough.
Rode around for about 5 minutes, and confirmed that it was running a bit rough.
Then I noticed that the alternator/charge gauge was reading 15 volts (16 is the max on the gauge). The gauge normally reads 12-13 volts.

So I turned around and hightailed it back to the put in.

It as we pulled up to the dock it died, and it is completely dead stick now. Turning the key does nothing. There are no gauge readings.

The bilge does work when you engage the float switch (but that is hotwired off the battery).

I think the alternator/ charge reading is a clear indicator, but I'm not sure what it is indicating..... Where should I begin troubleshooting?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
Stringer replacement job completed July 3 2014.
Exterior painted June 2015.
The Trailer is next.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 10:47pm
Sounds like your voltage regulator quit regulating

This diagram courtesy of TRB should help figure out where you lost power

Your regulator is probably part of the alternator based on what I think the year of the boat is. This diagram is for the alternator with an internal regulator.

iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:43am
Boat is a 1985 Ski Nautique ~~~

So when regulator fails, alternator must be replaced?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 1:03am
No you can have the regulator repaired or replaced. Look for a company the repairs starters and alternators,not one who just changes them out for a new one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 1:41pm
I replaced the Alternator. Electrical is still completely non operational (no blower.... no nav lights, engine will not start).

Had good current to the solenoid, but nothing after when I attempted to crank.

Replaced the solenoid. Still no current past the solenoid, no blower, no nav lights..... completely dead electrical system..

It's July 4th. What is going on with this boat? Anyone have any ideas?

What am I missing.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 1:53pm
Is the start relay (solenoid) engaging? When you turn the ignition key to the start position, are you getting power to the start relay coil? If not, get volt readings backwards to the NSS and then to the ignition switch. Are you getting power on the load side of the main breaker?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 2:15pm
Look at the diagram and find the 20 amp breaker on the dash that supplies 12 volts to the key and everything else up there that has power or in your case doesn't have power.

Pete has already mentioned the 50 amp breaker on the back of the engine, you need to verify power coming out of that to get power to the dash breaker.

If power isn't getting thru those breakers, everything you describe will be the case.

Your key won't have power to energize the start solenoid and your instruments etc won't have power either

You probably really mean to say "good voltage to the solenoid" not "good current to the solenoid"
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 2:21pm
40amp Breaker?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Is the start relay (solenoid) engaging? When you turn the ignition key to the start position, are you getting power to the start relay coil? If not, get volt readings backwards to the NSS and then to the ignition switch. Are you getting power on the load side of the main breaker?

Man you guys are quick. There is no solenoid click or attempt to engage when you turn the key (but there is no power to the dash either so blower doesn't work, etc.   

I have power going into the 40amp breaker, but when I attempt to start, no power comes out the other side.

I'm thinking this may be the problem.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 2:29pm
40 or 50 , the big red button on the back of the engine, try to reset it by pushing the big red button thencheck for 12 volts into it and 12 volts out of it, if you have that then check the dash breaker which should have 12 volts in and 12 volts out.

One other thing would be your big 8 pin plug at the back of the engine, sometimes the contacts get corrosion on them and if you unplug it and plug it back together you might see some corrosion. Clean the pins and do the checks again.

I'd check the breakers first
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 5:19pm
It was the breaker.

I had a choice between

West Marine's
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/motorguide--50-amp-manual-reset-circuit-breaker--10352748?recordNum=1
(that was only $14.99 and available for pickup at my local store,

or

waiting until Monday to order from Skidim:
http://www.skidim.com/CIRCUIT-BREAKER-40-AMP/productinfo/R153006A/

(which matches the original part but is significantly more expensive at $63.97).

I went the West Marine route, because I was still "troubleshooting' and also due to its cheaper price point, and immediate availability. It worked so I installed it.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Happy Fourth!

iPlan out

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 5:44pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 6:26pm
I think I will ~~~ I used the West product as more a troubleshooter ~ since Skidim was closed today.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 7:10pm
At least you put a breaker in there

Some people would have hooked the 2 wires together and been on their way.

I figure the breaker opened due to charging system issues that you resolved with the new alternator

It seems like some of those breakers only open once and never reset when they get older

Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2017 at 3:34pm
listen to Pete and Keno-Ski Dim has factory original parts made for the boat your driving-you get what you pay for!!!! good luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2017 at 9:13pm
N3 had the OEM breaker for my boat for about $20 less than the SKIDIM version of the same breaker... I hope N3's is as good as the ski dim one, but better than the boat US breaker that I threw away after 6 months of sitting in the garage.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic