Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Slipping // Milky pink

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Charlie1717 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Slipping // Milky pink
    Posted: June-21-2017 at 11:56pm
Hi All!

New to the forum and boats and need some help! I've read a good amount on the forums and it has been very helpful, so I'm sure this has been discussed, but am hoping to get some additional help

Boat: 1984 CC Southwind

What's going on: We just started storing our boat at a slip. It didn't have an automatic bilge, but I did add a float. There were a few days that it had a decent amount of water in the bilge (just over the bottom of the engine).

It didn't have any issues the first time we took it out. But 3 days later (today) when we went out, the transmission started slipping and didn't want to engage. I then noticed a milky pink fluid in the bilge. I checked the transmission fluid which was also pink and milky. This leads me to believe the trans got water in it.

My question: What do I do now!?
My thought is to drain the transmission fluid, refill, run, drain, refill, run, drain, etc until it is clean.

Is it too late? Did I already do some damage having water sitting in the trans?

I've read a lot of people replacing the oil cooler as well- should I do this as well? Not 100% where this is either.

Thanks for the help in advance!
--
Charlie
1984 Southwind
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2017 at 12:03am
A tranny flush is pretty cheap, so go for it.

The oil cooler can be tested with air pressure (15 psi max), hold under water & look for bubbles.

Follow the oil hoses coming from tranny, they lead to the cooler.

Did you determine where the bilge water leak was?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2017 at 6:40am
Charlie,
Welcome to CCfan.
Damage to the trans sounds like it's yet to be determined. Follow Chris's fluid change recommendation and stay away from synthetics. Damage really depends on how hot the trans got. High heat warps the clutch plates so they no longer grab and continue to slip. .Was the trans cooler drained for winter layup?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2017 at 9:41am
I would start with changing the fluid. Harbor Freight makes a cheap siphon pump to extract the fluid. You then need to refill to the mark. Hook up a cooling water hose to the engine and fire it up. Let it idle a couple minutes in neutral. Make sure that the prop shaft bearing under the boat is wet with water or dish soap and put it in forward gear for maybe 5 seconds of so and then into reverse the same. Do this several times (making sure the prop shaft stays wet). Then go back to neutral and let it idle a minute or so. Shut down and extract the fluid again. Repeat this several times to clean out all the milky fluid. Refill to proper level and lake test it. You may be lucky and have no internal damage done.
By shifting into forward and reverse will help get the fluid circulated thru the forward and reverse pistons. Assuming that this is not the first time out this year since winter storage then I would not be too concerned about the cooler being the source of water entry.
Good luck and feel free to PM me for exchange of phone numbers. I am only 35 minutes away in Morgantown.   Duane   .
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2017 at 9:53am
Change the fluid and you may have to do it twice to get out all the water.   Then pray for the best. You could test the cooler for a little extra piece of mind.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
TedR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 7:33pm
Charlie, I had the same issue with my transmission slipping/failure a few years ago. Turned out that cooling water was leaking into the from the hydraulic/water cooling line into the bell housing. Once that was replaced, it worked fine.
Charlie1717 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 12:37pm
Hey All!

Thanks for the advice and tips. I went down this past weekend and siphoned out the transmission, refilled, ran the boat, drained, refilled, etc 3 times. The fluid cleaned up after the third flush.

I then took it out on the water and it ran great. No slipping at all. I pulled it out of the slip and brought it home. I found a leak that appears to be coming from the exhaust hose near the back of the boat. It had a decent stream into the boat, which is why the boat filled with water pretty quickly.

I'm going to try and stop or slow that down as well as install an automatic bilge pump. My current float switch is mounted too high and the bottom of the trans and engine sit in the water.

Thanks for the help everyone!
--
Charlie
1984 Southwind
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 1:26pm
Yeah you should expect to have to dig out both of those exhaust hoses and replace them ASAP.   When they start to leak they can blow out pretty quickly and then you have a 3 inch diameter hole in your boat and then you sink... it ruins the day.   Always remember TNTD (try not to die).
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 2:06pm
Charlie I as well as many others here agree with Joe on replacing those exhaust hoses ASAP. A bilge pump will not pump enough for the potential hole and is not the answer.to the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic