NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wake rope from begginer skiers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wake rope from begginer skiers
    Posted: June-22-2017 at 4:36pm
Are there any issues with using a wake rope to teach beginner skiers?

I know I would want a ski rope for slalom but I don't have anyone wanting to slalom behind my Super Sport Nautique...yet.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2017 at 6:40pm
Found a post on another forum that says it's much harder to get out the water with a wake rope. That was my experience trying to ski last year but I just assumed it was because I got fat.
96 Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2017 at 7:27pm
I'm not buying it.

A little stretch isnt going to hurt, but a no-stretch rope isn't going to be "much harder". There's little to no stretch skiing off the boom and that's the best way to learn.

Form and good driving will make the difference.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:03am
I agree with Tim. A good driver can feel the skier and (coax) them up.
My tower and a short line has been helpful for beginners and if you get a real basket case the boom never fails.
I watched a drunk uncle drag his niece off the beach a dozen times last Sunday. Snatching her out of the sand on a way too big wake board with his deck boat and ski rope off one cleat.
I wasn't gonna interfere but the girl had moxie and wouldn't quit. I finally had enough and told her to get in the boat. My daughter lent the girl her own personal board, Cam did a little coaching and two pulls later the kid was riding. I have great kids, good gear and I can drive. Thats about all you need.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:27am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'm not buying it.

A little stretch isnt going to hurt, but a no-stretch rope isn't going to be "much harder". There's little to no stretch skiing off the boom and that's the best way to learn.

Form and good driving will make the difference.

Well Hollywood was also sceptical in the post I found on the MasterCraft forum but I can tell you that when I tried last year, getting up was particularly difficult and the post I read has alot of people saying they had similar experiences. In theory I would agree with you but my experience last year trying to ski combos with a wake rope was very much like what they described in the post.

While I don't doubt that good form or driving would help, I have neither and this post is specifically aimed at helping beginners ski and there seems to be a consensus that a wakeboard rope makes enough of a difference to warrant me buying a ski rope. I have purchased a ski rope and a new set of Radar Combos(I liked the colours) and will test the ski vs wakeboard rope once they all arrive.

The boom is totally different, you have alot of stability and upward lift which make the whole.experience much easier. That said I plan on buying a boom soon for this very reason.

96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:33am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

I agree with Tim. A good driver can feel the skier and (coax) them up.
My tower and a short line has been helpful for beginners and if you get a real basket case the boom never fails.
I watched a drunk uncle drag his niece off the beach a dozen times last Sunday. Snatching her out of the sand on a way too big wake board with his deck boat and ski rope off one cleat.
I wasn't gonna interfere but the girl had moxie and wouldn't quit. I finally had enough and told her to get in the boat. My daughter lent the girl her own personal board, Cam did a little coaching and two pulls later the kid was riding. I have great kids, good gear and I can drive. That's about all you need.

I agree with most of what you say but have you skied with a wakeboard rope? From doing a search the reports from people who have done it is that it made a much bigger difference than they expected. When I made this post I wasn't expecting the awnser to be that it was more difficult to get out of the water, I just thought there might be differences in riding with the different ropes.

I'm gonna test it and report back.
96 Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 1:53am
Competition slalom is the only time you want a stretchy rope.

Never put a slalom (stretchy multi colored rope) on a high pull unless you want the handle flying inside the boat.

That said, anyone can take ideal equipment and make skiing hard.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 10:28am
Never really thought about this before. We use a multi colored slalom rope for all skiing. Occasionally, when we are trying to teach someone that is large, expecting the handle to fly into the boat is SOP. What you're saying is we are much better off to use our seldom used wakeboard rope?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 10:59am
Yes. Wakeboard and barefoot ropes are low stretch. The downside to using them for everything is that they're generally pretty long. Have dave make up something custom with appropriate length take off loops.

There is no magic rope that will fix poor form and poor driving. The "consensus" is misinformed.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:09am
For the occasional Hulk, our 80' boarding rope will give a little extra distance for the rope to fly. No need for a special rope that'll seldom get used. Nothing like trying to pull up a strong 275# person that can hang on till the bitter end. I watch for the handle and accelerate if I have to. Do you remember the optional skull savers that some ski boats came with back in the '80'S?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:12am
The "special rope that never gets used" is probably a much more appropriate rope for anything besides barefoot and slalom... the few I made up are great for trick skiing and every other misc event we come up with. Probably the most used ropes we have!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:15am
After all these years I don't know if I could still turn around on tricks if I didn't have a stretchy rope. You're trying to set me up for failure for your uncle.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:09pm
Get with the times Brooster. Apparently smoking is bad for you now too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:15pm
Quit twisting up those slalom lines!

I think you're overstating the amount of stretch you're actually going to experience doing a 360... or getting pulled up on a pair of skis.

There's enough give in both HDPE and HTPE to do a pretty comfortable deep water barefoot start with a 10-15mph roll. I don't see it negatively impacting your tricking.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. I don't see it negatively impacting your tricking.

That's good, as I've worked hard to maintain my tricking skills all these years.

I guess you guys have never noticed the vintage multi colored slalmon lines Dave & Tom pack for tricking at reunions. We'll probably be sporting new lines after Dave reads this.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:46pm
I hope Larry (75 Tique) does not read this thread. All this talk about new ropes and such could have a negative impact on him. His ropes are all from 1975.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:58pm
Agreed with Tim and HW. Wake and BF handle a are also 15" vs. 12". The extra width is usually much more beneficial to beginners.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 2:00pm
I am better than your average wakeboarder and I cannot tell a difference between any of the types of lines. In my opinion, if you cant learn how to ski on a non stretch you were not going to get up on a traditional line either.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 2:32pm
I have also used my wakeboard ropes off the tower to teach new skiers to get up on two. I used the wakeboard ropes because we were teaching two to get up at the same time -- nothing like a little competition to facilitate learning.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I hope Larry (75 Tique) does not read this thread. All this talk about new ropes and such could have a negative impact on him. His ropes are all from 1975.

All this fiddle-dee-dee talk about this kind of rope and that kind of rope and what you need for what. I've got one rope and it does everything just fine for me.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 9:24pm
Larry,
Is this a test to see if anyone is observant? I see the issue!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 9:35pm
That ultra low profile rear towing attachment may only be an issue to you Pete
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 9:13pm
I have to confess Pete. I was thinking about you when I attached the rope back there. But you do win the prize for being the first to call me out on it.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 1:14am
definatly diggin' the handle on that line Larry. Nuthin like a good grip. Eddie has a BF line with a handle that is covered with white tape. My favorite by far. In fact I usually whine till he lets me take it to lake x....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic