Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dripping exhaust manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TurboZinke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZinke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dripping exhaust manifold
    Posted: June-23-2017 at 3:56pm
Well 3rd post this week trying to get this boat into shape! I changed the impeller yesterday on my new to me 1987 SN 2001 with 351W. When I fired up my boat, just for a few seconds without water hookup, I noticed that it was dripping from the bottom of the exhaust manifold. Then I noticed that there is some kind of JB weld or something on the bottom of the manifold. The leak was slow, just dripping. The other side of the engine does not have any kind of sealant on it but it also was dripping from the manifold. I guess it has a crack in it too.

Does anybody know of something like JB weld that is made for repairing these? Is a small drip that big of a deal?   Thanks!

Cy
Never miss a good chance to shut up ~ Will Rogers
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 4:04pm
Just curious, but where did you buy this boat? What color is it? I looked at one last year when I was looking that leaked and had JB welded exhaust manifolds.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 5:19pm
mine leak a little as well. exterior leaks aren't that big of a deal...the water is leaving the exhaust some way or another. However, manifolds that have cracks are more likely to develop cracks in the interior jacket which would be a very bad thing (water gets into the engine).

I repaired mine with some JB weld as well that helped for about a month. I ended up keeping my eye out for boats that were being parted out and nabbed a pair. I then took them to a machine shop to have tested and resurfaced. I haven't noticed a change in boat performance or temps between the cracked manifolds and the non-cracked ones.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 5:27pm
Cy,
It sure looks like someone didn't or did a poor winter layup at one time and then tried a epoxy repair. The repair can work but it does take some prep like grinding out the crack which in this case it sure looks like it wasn't done. The big worry as mentioned above is an internal leak from the water jacket into the exhaust cavity. At the very least, the manifolds should be removed and pressure tested. You do not what water getting into that engine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TurboZinke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZinke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 5:36pm
Thanks for the help fellas,

If I have an internal leak then it would be getting into the oil right? I changed the oil 2 days ago. I drained about 4 quarts and it did not appear to have any water in it.
Never miss a good chance to shut up ~ Will Rogers
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by TurboZinke TurboZinke wrote:

Thanks for the help fellas,

If I have an internal leak then it would be getting into the oil right? I changed the oil 2 days ago. I drained about 4 quarts and it did not appear to have any water in it.

Cy,
I still suggest pressure testing to be sure unless you just want to take the chance. That "repair" sure looks like a back yard hack job to me!! BTW, if enough water drains into a cylinder, you can also hydro lock and that can cause even more damage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by TurboZinke TurboZinke wrote:

When I fired up my boat, just for a few seconds without water hookup, I noticed that it was dripping from the bottom of the exhaust manifold. Then I noticed that there is some kind of JB weld or something on the bottom of the manifold. The leak was slow, just dripping. The other side of the engine does not have any kind of sealant on it but it also was dripping from the manifold. I guess it has a crack in it too.

Sounds to me like you're dripping water after a few seconds of running the engine dry.
Why don't you hook up the water and run it to see what you have for leakage, It'll probably be different

Then after you run it for a while, you can check the oil and pull the spark plugs see if they're wet with water and turn it over with the starter and see if any water comes out of any cylinders. And, yes you can have water in the cylinders from internal leaks in the exhaust manifolds without getting it in the oil

Any way you look at it you're rolling the dice. It's your call
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 8:44pm
+1 Here's an idea- Just go get new ones,they are still available. Some day they might not be,PCM does not seem to care about other Ford parts they made to convert them to marine use
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

+1 Here's an idea- Just go get new ones,they are still available. Some day they might not be,PCM does not seem to care about other Ford parts they made to convert them to marine use

+1 or at least start saving for them. Your NEW pair should last you the rest of the boat's life as long as you don't run in salt and properly winterize.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic