Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat listing under power

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fultilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fultilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat listing under power
    Posted: July-06-2017 at 6:19pm
New to the forum, but not new to Nautiques. I use to work for a marine that was a dealer.
And when I was younger my family had a '94 Sport Nautique that a car landed on, but that's a story for another time.

I purchased a '89 Ski Nautique last summer.     We noticed it last year and again so far this summer.   The boat list to the right side under power.   

Now before you say that the driver needs to go on a diet, we've already played that out.
It's doesn't matter where the weight is in the boat, she leans to the right.

She does sit level in the water, however.   So am at a lose.
If we are out anchored, she does take on some water.   My guess would be a bad seal on the output shaft or rudder.   She is almost 30 years old.

Any advice would be appreciated.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 7:35pm
Which way does the engine spin. Sounds like it got repowered with an automotive engine spinning CCW (from the flywheel end). The more power used, the more it leans to the starboard side.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 7:41pm
^^ i would normally agree, but an 89 should have had a standard rotation engine paired to a 1.23 trans (allowing the same RH prop).

I'd like to see some pics of the boat (to verify year), and the prop.
Fultilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fultilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 10:48pm
It's a 89, with the original 351PCM and a standard 14x16 prop

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2017 at 9:10am
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Which way does the engine spin. .

Better yet, which way does the prop spin going forward looking at it from the aft?
Originally posted by Fultilt Fultilt wrote:

It's a 89, with the original 351PCM and a standard 14x16 prop

Robert,
Are you the original owner? Also, is that "standard" prop a RH or a LH? We've certainly know and heard of the bad effects of people dropping in LH (standard rotation) engines in DD 1:1's but how about a RH (reverse rotation) with a 1.23?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fultilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fultilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2017 at 4:16pm
More info pics

m

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2017 at 10:21pm
Based on his model number, its a RH propeller.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 12:47am
Taking on water....30 years old....could it be wet foam beneath the floor?
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 12:50am
Wet foam should make it list when sitting still, I would think. Give us a pick of the running gear from the back straight up. Is anything bent?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 1:04am
If there was water below the floor why would it sit level at idle or anchor, and lean to starboard under power? How long did marine engines sit around, because that intake was cast in 86? Engine was assembled in December of 88 according to the tag Have to assume it is a lefty with a reverse drive tranny and ends up at a righty prop by the picture.. Fins and rudder all straight and perpendicular to the bottom?
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2017 at 4:32am
Yeah-- right about the foam--would not change from sitting to running. A picture from the rear straight on so we can see the alignment of all running gear might show us if there's a bent fin, cutlass or rudder.
Fultilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fultilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:42am
I'll take some pictures of the running gear.
And I'll make sure to take some pics of it floating.

I'm starting to leaning towards the wet foam issue as well.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 8:23pm
You might throw a straight edge on the bottom. Maybe somehow it hooked on one side.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 12:29am
You stated that it looks level on the water, but use the ski platform as a reference. See if the platform looks level to the water. Also, if it is several inches above water you foam my not be overly wet. There has to be some wet foam for a boat that age, but if the platform is almost in the water that is a sign of wet foam.

You may be able to just tighten the shaft packing with a few turns of the nut. Too tight will burn the packaging. You will want several drips per minute. The rubber packaging needs to be tight. It is best to just change out both, but you may be able to get it through until winter.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 12:54am
Not sure if the 80's boats show this but you better see if you can have the factory records pulled up before you measure any list. Art pulled up my '95's last winter. Something like 24 pages long,included in the pages is the water test---   1/2 inch list from new
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

You stated that it looks level on the water, but use the ski platform as a reference. See if the platform looks level to the water. Also, if it is several inches above water you foam my not be overly wet. There has to be some wet foam for a boat that age, but if the platform is almost in the water that is a sign of wet foam.

Not so fast. Our 88 platform was pretty much right in the water from brand new. Depending on the location of the wet foam (if there is any) can lift a platform out of the water just as easily as lower it. Not a very good reference IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic