Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut replacement in Fish Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BMo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut replacement in Fish Nautique
    Posted: July-10-2017 at 3:56pm
Looking for a new strut for a 1987 Fish Nautique resto. Spoke to Correct Craft factory parts and they told me they think it was a proprietary part made by their own foundry. None in stock. Also checked with Buck Algonquin and they told me the same thing. Would prefer to find a new one than attempt to straighten the existing one, but it looks like a new one may be impossible.   Anyone attempted to have one remanufactured/cast by a local foundry? Any advice would be appreciated.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 5:01pm
Brian,
How badly bent is it? I've seen some pretty bad struts straightened. What bothers you regarding straightening? Post a picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 7:41pm
Check with Jody at Florida inboards link He had a fish he was going to fix up- don't know if he parted it or sold it. If you find one I still would not throw the old one out, I'd get it fixed if possible.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 7:44pm
Here is the sheet on what fits what

[/IMG]
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
BMo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 2:44pm
Thanks for the responses, the strut bend is barely visible, however, the shaft has worn one side of the shaft log and there is now a small crack in the shaft log on the worn side. The engine seems to be already adjusted to the other side to account for this. Hence, my belief the strut is bent, even though it is not obvious visually. I acquired the boat last Fall and have been working on it all winter, but had not yet had it in the water until last week when we discovered the crack in the shaft log.   Will post some pics soon.
I had a strut straightened a number of years ago on an 83 SN, but subsequently it was never quite right. Would prefer to have a new one but it seems the chances of finding a new one is very slim. Thank you Gary S for the lead with Florida Inboards. Will check it out. If anyone else has a lead on a Fish that is being parted out, I would love to get contact info.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 3:33pm
Remove the strut and re mount it favorably. There is a ton of information on doing this job on this forum. I had to add some washers and sand my strut to get it in alignment but it has been perfect for 3 years since.
The old strut will not fall off, they are glued on pretty tight.
I used wood door shims and knocked them between the boat and the strut. I kept working in more shims till It broke loose. The wood did no damage to my boat.
I cleaned off the old glue with my automotive gasket scraper which I keep very sharp.
Had to be careful not to cut into the boat bottom. This entire area is covered by the strut so I had no worry about cosmetics.   On install it is recommended by many here to use 4200 calk rather than the 5200. The 5200 is much harder to remove.
Do some reading though and get up to speed before jumping into this repair.
Your log can be repaired with labor and nearly no money installing new fiberglass.   Again this forum has former posts advising exactly how to do this correctly.
The name of the glue/calk maker escapes me but it is one of the major companies, Dow or 3M. Others will chime in.
Mark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 4:52pm
Mark,
3M makes the 4200 - 5200 series of polyurethane adhesive sellers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic