FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CCF Product Review - NautiCurl Wake Shaper

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CCF Product Review - NautiCurl Wake Shaper
    Posted: July-10-2017 at 6:03pm
I know that wake-surfing is not everyone's preferred past-time on the water but I find it fun and a very social aspect of using my Correct Craft.

I'm always interested in unobtrusive ways to improve the performance / versatility of my '97 Sport Nautique and was considering a wake-shaper for surfing. I was surprised at the price of some of the options and the fact that they did not float. I couldn't imagine paying $500 for a wake-shaper only to have it disconnect and then sink.

I was going to follow some of the DIY instructions but still was faced with the idea of using either a tether or risking it sinking if it became detached.

I then found that NautiCurl was coming out with a floating wake-shaper. I reached out to them and they were happy to send me one to test. I received it last week and, with the help of my 12-year old son, put together a short video of the test.

In general, it's very well made, simple to install/uninstall on either side of the boat, significantly improves the wake and it certainly floats.

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 10:43am
Keith,
Nice Vid !!! Loved it...
Did you find this thing coming off at all, or did it stay firmly planted??
My DIY one wont stay on the 211. Even after an alcohol bath to get the wax off..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 12:49pm
Hey Dave,
Yes, stayed firmly attached. I was skeptical that it would especially giving that I mounted it over the graphic pint-stripe on my boat but it never came off on it's own.. I used it all weekend, mounting and remounting several times and even switching sides (my brother-in-law surfs goofy). Not one issue.

The design may help with keeping it attached. If you notice it has more surface area against the boat than it does in the angled wedge. The hydrodynamics may help push it into the boat putting less stress on the the suction attachment ... I will admit however that I really have no idea if this is true..

The materials may help as well. It is not made of plastic but rather aluminum alloy. It's rigid and very strong. Although I'm sure it flexes under the pressure of the water, it must flex far less than if it were made of plastic which I would guess helps with the integrity of the suction cup seal.

-Keith

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2017 at 5:48pm
Thanks Keith! Nice video. - Fred
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 12:10pm
Keith,

I have a buddy with a 2005 SV211 that I ski with who is not a CCFaner. Thanks for the review he is going to pick one up. I also ski with a buddy who has a 216 that will likely want one. I am not a surfer, but I am a player. My kids are surfers and I built a suck gate for my two friends to share just for fun. Also, so my kids can surf their boats.   

I like the fact it has replacement parts and FLOATS. Other threads show they have good customer service.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I like the fact it has replacement parts and FLOATS. Other threads show they have good customer service.

Nothing new Donald,Quinner's wake shapers have been proven in use for years. In the off season one got a hip another is scheduled for a knee.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 10:23pm
CQ's wake shapers cost more than $200 to feed.
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2017 at 6:27pm
Keith,
What is your ballast setup with the Wakeshaper?
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2017 at 6:38pm
I have just one 800 lb bag across the back seats. This alone makes for a pretty good wake. Adding several passengers (adult passengers) completes my ballast setup. I typically have one adult on the engine cover, another in the the observer's bench and one in the jump seat (and one driving, of course).

The best part of the wakshaper is that the boat no longer needs to be weighted to one side. You can weight the boat evenly.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2017 at 6:39pm
I'll put the kids in bow or on the floor.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 4:14pm
My buddy with a 2005 SV211 picked up one of these earlier this week. We tried it out last night for the first time. It was an improvement over the Suck Gate that I built last year. Suck Gate would throw a big roster tail against the hull right at a rear vent. This would cause the back compartments to get wet. When we stopped last night the compartments were dry. The unit never came off and was a ton easier to take on and off than the homemade suck gate. The wake was larger, cleaner and more defined. My buddy felt it was worth the $249.00 with shipping and float attachment.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 4:29pm
You guy's with the newer boats do have deep pockets. Some of us have to make do with old clunkers from the last century....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:40pm
Gary,

The key is not to own a newer boat but have friends with a newer boat. Do not socialize with poor people if you want to ride on a newer boat Maybe poor people with good credit in my case.

Remember what your mother told you? Choose your boating friends wisely.   

Donald
Mountain_Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:14pm
Keith, new to the forum, and like to see someone else has family surfing!! We just got our Nauticurl after lots of research and wanting the floating one. We Love it. With the older Nautique we only run an additional 220lbs of Ballast and it made a huge difference in our wake / wave for surfing.
1980 Ski Nautique
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 8:23pm
I see the changes in the wave, but let's see yall ride the waves.

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 12:22am
I feel like this is all my fault lol.

Nice vid Keith thanks for the review. . I Know you're always super busy but if you're ever in the area with some spare time you're always welcome to come down to Mousam for a Sunday morning surf. Been contemplating a wakeshaper for the 210 but I know some guys who have lost theirs. This may be the hot set up.

Mike

Edit: Just checked and they appear to be temporarily sold out. I may need to " borrow" yours
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Mountain_Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2017 at 7:07pm

Went out for a surf with the family last night and did a little more work dialing in the wave. The Nauticurl does a great job on an older boat that can't really carry a lot of extra ballast to make a very surfable wave.
1980 Ski Nautique
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2017 at 7:51pm
I guess we are gonna have to start surfing. Cam wont be able to ride a wakeboard for at least a year.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2017 at 7:55pm
Cam has a smallish thruster, can that be used to wakesurf? or do I need to buy more stuff?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
ceruzziracing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceruzziracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2017 at 1:57am
Keith, I don't know if they are looking for/want any feedback but my first thought was wow, might be hard to see in certain light even if it floats. A little day glow orange on it would be the ticket. Just my $.02
scloud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 8:25pm
I bought mine off a guy who also sells them on Ebay. $130.00. I tied a rope around mine, attached to a couple of bouys that are placed inside the boat. If it falls off just retrieve the bouys.   Mine has not fallen off yet.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 12:17pm
Scott, you can also buy a retro-fit float for an older NautiCurl for only $19.99.

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 12:53pm
Keith,
Following up on your original post and with Donald's friends review, I too invested in this wake shaper. With little success in keeping the DIY one on the boat, after the very first application to the hull, the Nauticurl had us surfing on the first try. While we are still trying to figure out how to elongate the wave, the 211 is finally doing it !!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Keith,
While we are still trying to figure out how to elongate the wave,

Moj'

In my experience you have to move to or add weight to the front to get some more length.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Keith,
While we are still trying to figure out how to elongate the wave,

Moj'

In my experience you have to move to or add weight to the front to get some more length.

Tried about everything so far with little success joe.. Still working on it..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 11:25am
So I have been using a suck gate in call kinds of positions with pretty much the exact set up and boat that Keith is talking about and cant get much of a surfable wave. Maybe need the nauticurl. I still get the best wave just listing it hard which I hate but those are my best results.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 11:53am
Here's my son surfing behind our '97 Sport this past weekend. The NautiCurl makes a huge difference. We had our 800 lb bag across the stern seats. Otherwise only my daughter (100 lbs) and I were in the boat.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by *mtrbtr* *mtrbtr* wrote:

So I have been using a suck gate in call kinds of positions with pretty much the exact set up and boat that Keith is talking about and cant get much of a surfable wave. Maybe need the nauticurl. I still get the best wave just listing it hard which I hate but those are my best results.

I started out that way and said screw it. To frustrated and wasted to much time. With the Nauticurl, the wave was instantaneous.. Invest, you'll love it..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2017 at 2:12am

Even after an alcohol bath to get the wax off..

hmmmm......whata visual......

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 4:05pm
Mojo and others,
So what about these do you think makes them better than a suck gate?
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic