NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Ski Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 7:54am
Rob,
Do you feel there's a problem with the EI? Ken is correct that the Prestolite EI is reliable. I have one in my 77. Yes Ken I ended up with an engine without points!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 8:14am
I think I just felt the earth shift on it's axis a little bit Pete
robdubbleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Rob,
Do you feel there's a problem with the EI? Ken is correct that the Prestolite EI is reliable. I have one in my 77. Yes Ken I ended up with an engine without points!!

No reason [at this point] to suspect anything's wrong with it. Just trying to get a grasp on what I've got on my hands already.

Received my new fuel feed hose and some other miscellaneous parts but haven't had a chance to put anything on yet. Got the carburetor off and it was full of crud so I'm going to have it cleaned and rebuilt by somebody who knows what they're doing. If I tried to, it'd take me a month...
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I think I just felt the earth shift on it's axis a little bit Pete

2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 2:50am
Quick update: My buddy is a shop foreman at a big local dealership's service department and he took my carb into the shop, took it apart and cleaned it in their hot tank and had one of his guys rebuild it (with the kit I supplied). Haven't gotten it back yet but hopefully good as new.

And a question: I'm probably going to replace my spark plug wires. The current ones don't look unusable but a few of the boots are cracked so I may as well go ahead and order some. Considering I have the Prestolite electronic ignition conversion, can you recommend a set of wires? The choices on skidim.com are not obvious (to a noob such as myself) which are the correct kit for my setup. I think it's the first one listed but want to make sure.

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 2:07pm
Can anyone confirm for me the plug gap needed for my engine with electronic ignition? I know the EFI engines require different plug gaps, but does the electronic ignition require different gaps?

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 1:12am
Annnnd another question: I know some of you have added a screw on type fuel/water separator. I'd like to do this but I'm not sure where to put it. Suggestions? I believe this would also work as a fuel filter, correct? When I got the boat there was an in-line fuel filter.

Here are some pics of my fuel pump area. The fuel line is currently not in place, as I'm in the middle of replacing it.

1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 6:35am
Hi Rob

I had a 76 that I put a filter/separator on and I put it in the front left corner on a bracket that mounted to the stringer up high enough so access was relatively easy and it didn't interfere with the engine box...

Can't help but notice that funny looking plumbing tee screwed into the front of the exhaust manifold. Looks like there's some epoxy around the threaded area too. I figure if it doesn't leak you might as well leave it alone since you might find hard to fix issues if you take it off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 12:48am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Rob

I had a 76 that I put a filter/separator on and I put it in the front left corner on a bracket that mounted to the stringer up high enough so access was relatively easy and it didn't interfere with the engine box...

Can't help but notice that funny looking plumbing tee screwed into the front of the exhaust manifold. Looks like there's some epoxy around the threaded area too. I figure if it doesn't leak you might as well leave it alone since you might find hard to fix issues if you take it off.

Keno, Thanks for pointing that out. I was totally unaware that wasn't an original part. The other side is the exact same. I don't believe there's any epoxy there, although it looks like it in the picture.

Anybody have any pictures of what it's supposed to look like?

Thanks!
1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:13am
There's normally a 90 degree fitting there.

3/4 inch pipe threads on one end and 1 inch hose barb on the other.

Some were plastic and some were brass

A picture of each

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 12:58pm
Ah thank you! No telling what the previous owners and their mechanics did to modify (more like jerry-rig) it. I'll keep an eye on it once I get it running. If it doesn't leak, I'll worry about it later.

Now my crisis is the thermostat housing. Rusted really badly and they're next to impossible to find.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic