NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tranny not engaging?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tranny not engaging?
    Posted: July-13-2017 at 11:41am
76 Ski Nautique. Last year she ran beautifully, after replacing a broken throttle cable. Last night, I ran the engine, and found that the tranny was not engaging. Well, it did finally, but at around 1600 RPM, both in forward and reverse. The prop shaft spins pretty freely, although I admit the bushing are long overdue for replacement. I can't think of what the problem might be, sitting mothballed over the winter. Fluid level looks fine. Any suggestions?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 11:46am
Sounds like an improperly adjusted throttle cable. It should not be advancing prior to transmission engagement.

There are some set up guidelines in the Morse manual in the reference section.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Sounds like an improperly adjusted throttle cable. It should not be advancing prior to transmission engagement.

There are some set up guidelines in the Morse manual in the reference section.

Sounds like that to me too.

You could unhook the throttle cable from the carburetor and then shift into forward/reverse and see if it goes into gear at idle speed.

If that doesn't work, you could also unhook the cable from the transmission shift lever and shift it by hand to see if it goes into gear any better

If it does go into gear normally at idle doing the above things, then your cable adjustment needs attention.

If these things don't work, then you have internal transmission issues
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 12:50pm
Insert a pivot in a wrong position?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 1:40pm
Check out this thread for proper Rigging of the cables as well as the above comments.

Throttle Rigging
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 4:59pm
What/where are you suggesting that the "pivot" position is wrong?

Just to iterate what I did after taking the boat out of hibernation. I removed the exhaust manifold and risers (never done in the life of the boat), to inspect. Exhausted manifold gaskets were severely deteriorated. Cleaned everything up and reassembled. New valve covers installed. Some new coolant hoses, some other generalized cleaning, new belts. She started right up and runs okay. Did have to replace the 14-year-old battery and installed an inline on/off switch on the positive cable from the battery for a few reasons. Last year I inadvertently posted that the engine had 4000 hours (typo?); she actually has only 1470 hours.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will get to work on the ole babe after work today.
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 5:20pm
I played around with the problem this am. Unhooked the tranny cable and manually engaged it forward and back without issue. Thank goodness it's not a tranny issue! Spoke with the prior owner who had the boat for most of it's life, and assures me that we are still dealing with the original cable!! The throttle cable I replaced last year as it broke. The steering cable he replaced about 6 years ago because it broke. So . . . . these leads me to ask, could the problem lie in the old cable, being probably dry and not travelling freely and smoothly? My 1st post I mentioned that the tranny would not engage until about 1600 RPM. Now I've got it down to about 900 RPM. maybe when I stick it in the water tomorrow things will be different? Any suggestions?
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 5:23pm
At 41 years old I'd say the cable should be replaced. Maybe Pete would disagree due to "throwing parts at it".
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 5:28pm
You need to school yourself on how the Morse mechanism works. There is a part of it that if it becomes sticky or is installed backwards can cause the throttle cable to move too soon before the gear engages. Unlikely a gear cable issue unless the cable itself is stretching which is highly unlikely.

Or like Tim said, it could be an adjustment issue with the cables (most likely the throttle cable adjustment).
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

You need to school yourself on how the Morse mechanism works. There is a part of it that if it becomes sticky or is installed backwards can cause the throttle cable to move too soon before the gear engages. Unlikely a gear cable issue unless the cable itself is stretching which is highly unlikely.   

I totally agree. Here's a thread on servicing the MV1 but unfortunately all the pictures are gone due to the damn photobucket issue. Yes, why through parts at it that aren't needed! But, I will say do check your shift cable. BTW, I have 53 year old shift and throttle cables in the X55 and they are in fantastic condition. The brass ends were needed several years ago but that was all.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 5:02pm
I would like to especially thank TRBenj & Keno for their guidance in the right direction, and a general thanks to all others who gave me some ideas to go off of.

It turned out that I had routed the throttle cable inappropriately after reinstalling the exhaust manifold and riser, Somehow it was enough to case my problems. After rerouting the cable and a little fine tuning to the throttle linkage at the carb, I was able to dial everything in to where the prop begins to spin with the slightest advancement of the throttle lever. Had it in the water and what an amazing difference!!!

Again, thanks everyone!
Tony
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by tonyosis tonyosis wrote:

I would like to especially thank TRBenj & Keno for their guidance in the right direction, and a general thanks to all others who gave me some ideas to go off of.

It turned out that I had routed the throttle cable inappropriately after reinstalling the exhaust manifold and riser, Somehow it was enough to case my problems. After rerouting the cable and a little fine tuning to the throttle linkage at the carb, I was able to dial everything in to where the prop begins to spin with the slightest advancement of the throttle lever. Had it in the water and what an amazing difference!!!

Again, thanks everyone!
Tony

Just give yourself one big attaboy and a pat on the back for figuring it out, we only got you started on the right path
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic