NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia to Wisconsin wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gbymers@gmail.com View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbymers@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Georgia to Wisconsin wanted
    Posted: July-13-2017 at 2:15pm
I need to find someone who might be traveling from Georgia to Wisconsin (or close) who might be willing to pick up a Nautique windshield and drop it off near Madison WI. Any EAA pilots headed to Oshkosh possibly. I found a windshield for my 1999 Air Nautique project. It's very expensive to ship this and I don't want UPS or FedEx to break it, so anyone out there that is headed north from Georgia, let me know. It would be a huge favor. Thanks Gary
Gary
1970 Mustang
1995 Ski Nautique
1990 Ski Nautique
1960 Century Resorter
1984 2001 Ski Nautique
1994 Sport Nautique
1999 Air Nautique
1997 SNOB
mslitti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslitti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 12:12pm
Did you try U ship I just had a windshield shipped from New jersey to Michigan for $150
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbymers@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 1:00pm
Thanks, good idea!
Gary
1970 Mustang
1995 Ski Nautique
1990 Ski Nautique
1960 Century Resorter
1984 2001 Ski Nautique
1994 Sport Nautique
1999 Air Nautique
1997 SNOB
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 1:57pm
I think the key to any shipping is going to be how the windshield is packaged.   I would suggest pool noodles around the perimeter of the windshield frame, cut a slit in the bottom and then squish down over the aluminum.   tape that to the window with some duct tape.   I would also suggest that a wood crate would keep the window from getting crushed if someone stepped on it or stacked another box on top of it.   a couple of vertical supports within the box to keep it from getting crushed would be really helpful. its a large, hard to ship item for sure, if you do use USHIP, make sure they are insured for the full value of a replacement and you could end up ahead, even if it does break in transit.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbymers@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2017 at 4:06pm
Most excellent advice, thanks for taking the time to describe this
Gary
1970 Mustang
1995 Ski Nautique
1990 Ski Nautique
1960 Century Resorter
1984 2001 Ski Nautique
1994 Sport Nautique
1999 Air Nautique
1997 SNOB
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbymers@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 11:40am
Just a heads up to anyone that is shipping large packages, I had an engine cover shipped from Georgia to Wisconsin via Greyhound bus freight and it was $110. Also had a port side windshield with center section sent from a different location in Georgia and it was $90. The shipper does have to find a Greyhound frieght location and bring it there and you have to pick it up from one - the closest one for me was in Milwaukee, so it is a bit of a pain, but UPS was quoting $300 door to door.
Gary
1970 Mustang
1995 Ski Nautique
1990 Ski Nautique
1960 Century Resorter
1984 2001 Ski Nautique
1994 Sport Nautique
1999 Air Nautique
1997 SNOB
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 3:19pm
sounds like you were resourceful and were able to make it work.   Nice job, and thanks for the tip.   the long dog has been mentioned here before, but I didn't know about the shipping depot location issue
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 8:58pm
One thing to say about shipping Greyhound, they are not the brightest bunch do deal with. It took over an hour to get the clerk to figure out where to ship his engine cover to. The wife was way over Greyhound when she was done.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbymers@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 11:06pm
That is very true. When I went to Milwaukee to pick up the parts, just by coincidence both of the big packages I found and had shipped there arrived within a week of each other so I was able to get both at the same time, the staff was incredibly inerpt... And the crowd hanging around the place was a bit sketchy, but to save approximately $400 in shipping total I was more tolerant than usual.
Thanks again for your effort to make that happen. I really appreciate it.
Gary
1970 Mustang
1995 Ski Nautique
1990 Ski Nautique
1960 Century Resorter
1984 2001 Ski Nautique
1994 Sport Nautique
1999 Air Nautique
1997 SNOB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic