NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 throttle body

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 throttle body
    Posted: July-18-2017 at 12:56pm
Hey guys. im having a small issue with my gt40. Currently the boat runs great at all RPM from idle to top speed. However if i run the boat on plane and then come off the throttle quickly to pick up a skier etc. the boat drops back to neutral but the RPM stay running at the higher RPM when the boat was towing. I have replaced the throttle cable, shift cable and tried disconnecting the servo for perfect pass. still i have the issue. I have been having to reach back and pull the lever on the throttle body towards the bow to get the boat back to idle every time a skier falls. By process of elimination im thinking that the spring in the throttle body may be worn out and losing its ability to bring the boat back to idle? I looked it up and i would have to buy a whole new throttle body for 500 bucks!!!!!! holy cow. ridiculous considering you can pick up a ford throttle body for a couple hundred bucks just about anywhere (obviously i wouldnt do that). i have found quite a bit of corrosion on the throttle body and it is filthy!!!!! i think the previous owner ran the boat in brackish water.

so my question is have any of you had this happen before? anyone cleaned their throttle body? should i buy a new one? :(

ps. all the cables were run in the same locations as they were from the factory so i dont have any weird bends etc that might cause the cable to bind.

thanks!
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 3:16pm
where is lewy2001? he always has an answer :)
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 3:41pm
I assume you have some speed control?   You really need to clean that throttle body - its got to be pretty corroded - a return spring may also be needed but not before that thing moves free and easy and doesn't get stuck.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by jellison jellison wrote:

where is lewy2001? he always has an answer :)

Most likely sleeping he's 15 -16 hours ahead of us
I would venture a guess that the throttle body is not a marine specific part anyway see if it has a ford part number cast into it and google that and see what comes up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I would venture a guess that the throttle body is not a marine specific part anyway see if it has a ford part number cast into it and google that and see what comes up.

I was gonna say what Gary said, but he beat me to it so I won't say it
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 11:26am
i found a part number and tried to run it..... came back with nothing. also i checked a non marine throttle body and see that the cable mounting lever looks different than the cable mount on the marine version.

I got some throttle body cleaner that is approved for ford throttle bodies last night and pulled the throttle body off the intake before the storms came in. So i will give it a good cleaning tonight and see if it helps.

If it is the return spring... have you ever had to change one? looks easy but i would imagine it has a low tolerance for error. haha.
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 12:34pm
Just ran the part number by a local Ford performance shop here in Orlando. Bad news. looks like the throttle body is specific to the boat :(

He said he has seen this so many times here in orlando that it makes him sick. He even quoted the model number to me before i could give it to him! UNREAL! so if cleaning it doesnt work then i am stuck paying the ridiculous price from the dealer. ugh. What happens when there are no throttle bodies left at the factory?! So frustrating. Guess i will look into the spring replacement option as well.
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 12:40pm
I'd give Jody at FL Inboards a call. It seems like the type of thing he might potentially have laying around at his shop.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 12:48pm
First clean it, remove corrosion, get her loose. You might be able to add a throttle return spring from a carb setup if you cant work anything with the original spring that works. There were not too many ford 351s running around on the streets fuel injected with a single throttle body setup so it doesn't surprise me that its an industrial/marine only part.   But not much to go wrong with it either.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 12:55pm
so you are saying if the cleaning doesnt work i could add a spring? is that in addition to the existing spring that is on the throttle body all ready?
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I'd give Jody at FL Inboards a call. It seems like the type of thing he might potentially have laying around at his shop.

just gave him a call. we will see what he says. thanks for the reference.
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 12:58pm

i found a part number and tried to run it..... came back with nothing. also i checked a non marine throttle body and see that the cable mounting lever looks different than the cable mount on the marine version.     

Any Ford numbers on it? Many Ford "marine" parts are in fact from their industrial division. They just didn't make a part just for one use,marine to them was small potatoes. Post up some pictures,I'm not like Ken who will go out and pull his apart to check parts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 1:34pm

Any Ford numbers on it? Many Ford "marine" parts are in fact from their industrial division. They just didn't make a part just for one use,marine to them was small potatoes. Post up some pictures,I'm not like Ken who will go out and pull his apart to check parts.

part number is F1JL-CB
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 2:57pm

part number is F1JL-CB

That's only a partial part number,

The whole part number is F1JL-9E926-CB.

You can find that on the internet.

F1 means it was first made in 1991

J means it was for the industrial power products division

L tells that the same division was responsible for the design

9E926 is the numerical designator for a throttle body

CB tells which release or revision it was.

A quick check found one for a mere 426 bucks but with some searching you might find cheaper or a used one
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 3:45pm
nice find!!!!!!!! ive been hunting for the full part number and could only find the PCM number

PCM # is ra035029

in case anyone wants it.
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 5:56pm
found the throttle body for 360 bucks. im going to install the cleaned throttle body i have here on friday and run the boat a bit. if that doesnt work at least we know where to find a replacement....

https://pittauto.com/item/FOR%20F1JL9E926CB?catlist=478&parent=262
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:16pm
That's the same one Google found for me.

I must have misread the price or couldn't remember it 2 minutes later .

I think a cleaning job will work................hopefully
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 11:08pm
throttle body cleaner worked wonders. im going to put it on the boat and see if it works friday morning. thanks for all the help everyone!
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 4:32pm
update: so i got the throttle body installed. boat started up fine and idled really well. I didnt notice that my idle was a bit high before the cleaning. I got my timing light out and checked the timing to make sure i didnt need to correct anything. (reason being is that I installed a new distributor a few weeks ago and timed the boat with a high idle). Boat was timed out great. Went to go run the boat and had to put it back in the boat house due to a storm creeping over the lake. I will get to run the boat at full throttle tomorrow so i will post another update after church.
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 9:45pm
I know this is an old thread but after removing and cleaning the throttle body, did you have to replace any gaskets? If so, where did you find them?
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 12:26am
Recent thread link on gaskets
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic