Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 intermittent loss of power at speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:34pm
I can tell you that when I pushed the button the 60amp, it clicked. Then it started. Before that, it would crank away and not start.
Now, that was 8 hours later so maybe it was a heat related issue.
But, I can tell you with certainty that the breaker clicked when I first pushed it. And now it doesn't. Is there a way to manually trip the breaker so I can test things further?

Thanks for the feedback.

I was the same user name before. That's why I asked. Same user name, same email address. The system had no info on me at all.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:32pm
That 60 amp breaker is the main breaker for the whole electrical system.

If it tripped you wouldn't have been able to crank the engine over

You could crank the engine so it wasn't really tripped.

Sounds like something in the ignition system heated up and over time cooled down and when you tried to start it later it started with that component cooled down.

Or maybe you lost fuel pressure due to a relay or bad pump.that's starting to fail

If it happens again I'd be looking to see if it has spark or not when it doesn't start, to help narrow things down.

Who were you before you became a new guy again?

chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 4:16pm
As a side note, did the site go through some changes.
I know I had an account here years ago, but it didn't recognize me or my email, thus the new user status.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 2:54pm
relays are cheap, breakers not so much... verify before replacing
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 2:43pm
Yes, I thought about that also. Considering this boat is almost 20 years old, might not be a bad idea to replace breakers & relays.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 2:07pm
I'd suggest that you put an amp clamp on the breaker "in" wire.   check for amperage and see if you are actually drawing more than you should be, or if the breaker might be getting weak.   the breakers do fail, so it may just be time for a replacement.    I hope that's the issue, it's a pretty easy fix.
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 1:51pm
Hi,
I have a 1998 ski nautique with a GT40.
The last 2 times out, I've had the engine skip at speed. I was running about 32mph pulling my wife and then it skips for a second and my speed drops to around 28pm, then it picks up again and runs ok.
Last time out, it did this, then we retrieving the skier, I killed the engine. It would not restart. It was turning over, but not firing. I actually got a pull in. Later when I was home looking at things, I pushed the 60 amp breaker and it reset. Sure enough, hooked it up to water and it ran just fine in my driveway. Wish I would have thought of that on the lake.

So, the question is what trips the 60 amp breaker?
I'm wondering if something is starting to fail, thus drawing more amps.

I read through the poor man's GT40 diagnosis thread and didn't find anything similar.
The boat had the low pressure fuel pump replaced 4 years ago. Also had a new cap, rotor, plugs. Also, the filter in the FCC was replaced.

The relays on the back of the engine have not been replaced. Original as far as I know. I bought this boat in 2007.

Thanks,
Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic