Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just Picked Up a Twin-Engine Fish Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
NautiqueJeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Picked Up a Twin-Engine Fish Nautique
    Posted: July-19-2017 at 9:18pm
Some of you will recognize this one from the boats for sale on this site, and may be familiar with some of the work the previous owner did on it. I can't wait to get started on this thing!

This one is a 1981, and the previous owner says that it was the first one built. I have not been able to verify that yet, but I am working on it. I think one of the others is a 1980, but I am not positive.

The previous owner started a very nice restoration. He removed the floor and replaced the stringers with all new composite stringers, and gelcoated the entire bilge. This work looks great!

He also installed a custom-made 75 gallon fuel tank that will be under the floor (instead of at the transom), and modified the deck a little to open up more space behind the console. He installed dripless shaft seals, and part of a hydraulic steering system. This work looks very good!

The original 3.8L V6 engines were completely remanufactured, and it looks like the work was very nicely done.

The bright work is removed from the boat, but most of it was stored in a shed and is in decent shape.

Now for the bad stuff...

Unfortunately, the previous owner got sick and was unable to complete the restoration. The boat sat outside since 2014 just south of Ft. Lauderdale. It was not covered, and someone removed the carbs from the engines and tried to cover the intakes with plastic bags and rags, but that didn't work. The bags deteriorated in the Florida sun, and the rags offered no protection from water. The engines have zero hours since rebuild, but they are both completely locked up now, and will need to be rebuilt again.

The center console is complete, but in need of restoration.

So, the plan is to get the engines rebuilt again, install the floor and spray new gelcoat on the floor and entire top deck, restore the console, mount the gauges, rewire everything, and get it in the water!

Here are some pictures from the restoration work the previous owner did. I'll add some current pictures in the next post.

Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 9:21pm
Here are some shots from when I loaded it up to take home.

Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 9:24pm
My gelcoat/fiberglass guy is going to squeeze it in over the next two to three months (he gave me a much better rate if I didn't need it done immediately).

We're doing the following:

Complete new floor (in sections, removable)
    Rework the entire top deck, which is pretty messed up. Lots of holes and raw fiberglass patches.
    Rework the entire center console
    Sand and buff hull sides
    Repair bad exhaust hole in hull (fiberglass and gelcoat) and install SS exhaust tips

Here's a shot of the bad exhaust hole.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 9:26pm
Well, I got proof the other day that the boat was built for Camp of the Woods, a Christian camp in New York. According to Woody, this was because New York state rules indicated that camp boats of this type were required to have twin engines! Larry and Art helped track down the build sheet on the microfiche at Nautique.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 9:53pm
If that bad boy were mine I find 4 3" stainless exhaust tips from parted out 80's boats and put all straight out the back instead of those Y's
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 10:12pm
It had that originally! Not sure why the previous owner changed it.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 10:49pm
Jeff,
I'm with Gary on the exhaust. As long as your glass guy is working on the hull, I'd sure consider going back to the original. Maybe when the PO installed the hydraulic steering, he thought the exhaust routing would interfere?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 12:08am
I'll just say 2 things and then keep my mouth shut For some reason or another everyone who is a ocean runner thinks hydraulic steering is the end all to all end alls. Some units can be hard to steer and they create more complexity when it's not needed,this just from a big outboard experience. The other thing I don't like but I don't think you would run into Jeff if your not offshore is the single tank. You have two engines and one of the advantages of twins is if one quits the other one can get you home. Take on one bad load of fuel or have a wave come up the back and water gets in a fuel vent,neither engine will run. Separate tanks,fill them up at separate times would help to eliminate that problem. It is what it is just get yourself 2 good water separators/filters and carry spares.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 12:24am
Very good point on the two tanks. In fact, the PO had planned to install two tanks, but he must have changed his mind at some point. Here's his original layout plan. It definitely has some flaws (like engine placement for one), but it would have allowed for two tanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 12:38am
As for the exhaust routing, I think it might have been done due to the way he modified the deck to extend the floor on this boat. I don't have a great picture of it, but you can see in this shot that he cut out about 14" of the deck and set up the stringers so that the floor could extend to the transom. Most Fish Nautiques have the deck come straight across just behind the rear cleats. I think the modified floor in this boat might have hit the original exhaust. Who knows???

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 1:47am
Nice find, these are cool boats and with twins. Whoa.
Yoy have a hell of a lot of planning and work to finish but it can def be worth it in the end.
Not a lot of room under the deck of these things. First thing i would wonder about the exhaust is if those 45s are design3d to stop surge or if it is just an open junction to combine exhausts. Usually people dont do stuff like that for no reason. It may have been done to fix a past issue. I know my fish the waterline was very close to deck height at the motor and those motors having logs instead of risers i would be really thinking about that.
It was one of the things that kept me up at night when i owned my fish, or when i was drift jigging in rough seas or leaving the boat on anchor and going diving. I always worried i would go to start and hydrolock one of these days.

Dual tanks wouldnt be my biggest worry though. Get 2 Raycor filters, one for each engine and like stated. Carry spares.
And thats a nice steering system. closed hydraulic so it doesnt use a pump off the motor, the helm and piston are a closed loop. Is it a big upgrade? Yes, is it a necessary upgrade? Def not. But it is there so keep it and be happy!
Look forward to seeing this progress.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 7:24am
Cool find. Shame things like this happen, sitting and locking up two new engines! Good luck with it and keep the pictures coming!
Js
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 8:02am
Definitely a cool addition to your fleet of CC's Jeff. You gonna keep the 81 Fish once you get this one completed? Seems that Pinkham Point has some sort of Home Port of infectious disease. Anyone who spends a bit of time there seems to always end up with a Fleet of Correct Crafts and with that being said. I'm sure you can always upgrade those V-6's and go with a pair of V-8's and that thing would fly! Keep us informed on her progress.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 12:17pm

Neat project!

Are those 60 degree engines? Buicks?

I concur, that exhaust solution needs some pondering
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 12:42pm
These are Chevy 3.8 (229) 90 degree engines. From what I can find, these are the approximate specs:

110 hp (82 kW) at 4,200 rpm      170 lb·ft (230 N·m) at 2,000 rpm      3.736 x 3.48 inches       8.60:1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Definitely a cool addition to your fleet of CC's Jeff. You gonna keep the 81 Fish once you get this one completed? Seems that Pinkham Point has some sort of Home Port of infectious disease. Anyone who spends a bit of time there seems to always end up with a Fleet of Correct Crafts and with that being said. I'm sure you can always upgrade those V-6's and go with a pair of V-8's and that thing would fly! Keep us informed on her progress.

I am keeping the original Fish Nautique for now at least. I may sell it after this one is finished to recover some of my restoration costs on this one.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 1:21pm
One thing you might want to look into is to see if the marine parts from those engines will let you use a 4.3 Chevy V6 block,some are rated at around 200hp and are used to replace 302 Fords.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 1:28pm
Interesting. I'll look into that!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 1:44pm
Jeff,
Are the original engines counter rotating?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 1:47pm
Yes
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 1:55pm
I was curious so I just did a on line search for 4.3 marine engines. LOTS comes up including RR. LOTS of remans too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 2:40pm
If that tank system is new, it seems like you might be able to put a divider in the center of the tank, effectively making it two tanks.    Then plumb a fuel pickup, Fuel level indicator and a fill and a vent on each side, voila, separate tanks, and no real re-design of the existing space.   super cool project! .   
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:03pm
I think we're all living vicariously through Jeff...

effit, twin LM4's!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I think we're all living vicariously through Jeff...

effit, twin LM4's!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/twin-jet-boat-for-sale-ft/6216050019.html
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:12pm
Jeff,

I've been following this on PN too, and this is such a cool find. I can't wait to see it all come together, looks like a fantastic starting point.

In the Supra (boat) world, there was a guy with an Allegro, which was a VERY limited production cuddy cabin 20' inboard direct drive, like, maybe as few as 10 ever made. He searched for this boat for years, having spent time on one as a kid, and he finally found one - it turned out to be the actual boat from his childhood. Sadly, it burned up in a forest fire maybe as recently as last year, so he's back on the hunt again.

This seems like a similar needle-in-a-haystack find, and I'm sure you will take good care of it. Congrats.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:29pm
Pretty cool boat. As a former Supra owner, I paid a little bit of attention, but never saw or heard of the Allegro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 4:06pm
I had no idea Supra made a boat like that. Very cool!

I wonder how big of a tank would fit in the center section in front of my 4" bulkhead...

Fabcon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 8:57pm
Nice start to a great boat
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1984 Barefoot Nautique (Parting Out)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 1:26am
Well, I have some good news. After filling the plug holes with PB Blaster for a couple of days, the port engine now turns freely! I haven't tried to start it or anything, but I'll count this as a win for now!

Hopefully the starboard engine will free up soon as well. We'll see!

stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 12:23pm
That's great news! I saw your other Fish Nautique is up on ebay...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic