NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Search

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Search
    Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:35pm
Sorry for the bombardment of posts but you've all been really helpful and I'm scratching my head... The boat's original trailer is long gone and I'm having no luck finding one that looks appropriate. Has anyone been in this situation? I've got nothing in the boat and I don't want to spend $3500 on a new trailer.

At this point it's looking like I may have to find an affordable dual axle steel trailer and modify it to do what I need. It would be time consuming but if I made a cardboard pattern that matched the hull and fabricated bunk supports to fit the profile I think I could end up with a quality product. I'm doubting that anyone has an electronic or print profile of the design at different points measured down the hull. I'm thinking 3' long treated 2x6 sections one set of 4 toward the bow and 1 set toward the stern would be ideal. I don't think 2 sets of 2 would be enough to spread out the weight -- or would it?

Imagine the look on the former owner's face seeing me float in an innertube under the dry docked boat with cardboard and a razor knife trying to make a pattern!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by WinterTurtle WinterTurtle wrote:

Sorry for the bombardment of posts but you've all been really helpful and I'm scratching my head... The boat's original trailer is long gone and I'm having no luck finding one that looks appropriate. Has anyone been in this situation? I've got nothing in the boat and I don't want to spend $3500 on a new trailer.

At this point it's looking like I may have to find an affordable dual axle steel trailer and modify it to do what I need. It would be time consuming but if I made a cardboard pattern that matched the hull and fabricated bunk supports to fit the profile I think I could end up with a quality product. I'm doubting that anyone has an electronic or print profile of the design at different points measured down the hull. I'm thinking 3' long treated 2x6 sections one set of 4 toward the bow and 1 set toward the stern would be ideal. I don't think 2 sets of 2 would be enough to spread out the weight -- or would it?

Imagine the look on the former owner's face seeing me float in an innertube under the dry docked boat with cardboard and a razor knife trying to make a pattern!

For anyone not wanting to go back and search Greyson's previous posts, he has a Southwind 18

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:54pm
Sorry! Classic mistake...

It's a Southwind 18, suspected to be a 1979 model, with the 351.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 5:41pm
Will a CC#3 fit???      My 1978 Mustang 17 has the original trailer under it and it will be for sale in a month or so. I am going to make a new one for it.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 7:15pm
#3 will not fit the v-hull.

#3DV OR #4DV is what you want. Shame, as I just sold a #4 last week, I had it listed for several months. Pm me, I may know where to find another. Where are you located?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 2:43pm
Bought a trailer today! I never would have thought the trailer market would move as fast as it does -- and I'm glad the search is over. It's a 93 FourWins trailer that looks to have been setup for an I/O.

1979 Southwind 18 351w

Not Running - All Potential!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 2:47pm
Anyone modified an I/O trailer like this for inboard use before? It rides pretty low so I don't really think dropping the rear crossmember and using the original bunks will work. I think I need to raise the bunk height somehow.

How low beyond the bottom of the hull does the rudder / prop equipment hang?

My dad thinks I should make some vertical bunks like these.

1979 Southwind 18 351w

Not Running - All Potential!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic