Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Family reunion skiing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Family reunion skiing
    Posted: July-21-2017 at 12:19pm
I'm heading to my wife's family reunion next week (everyone gets their own cabins in the same area). It's always a good time. People often say they might try skiing, then back out, or refuse, or worry they are imposing my boat time and avoid asking to try.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to encourage people to get out and ski? This group is really competitive and may do it if there was some sort of game. Has anyone tried something similar?

I also wish I had more coaching skills. I think I have kids down pretty well, but coaching adults from the boat is a special skill I have not mastered.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 12:33pm
ages?
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 1:20pm
Some teenagers, but they have a boat and live on a lake. Some 20s, 30s, 50s, 60s, and grandma is 80s but I don't expect her to do anything on the boat, haha.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 2:06pm
Have a boom?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 2:53pm
Find the most likely to succeed candidate, once they are up and skiing others will follow. If skiers are skilled enough pull in pairs, that also works well if you have someone timid of the water or afraid of the fish.

When teaching, as the driver do not over throttle at the start and pay close attention to your speed once up
Seen many new skiers/boarders have a tendency to stand up too quickly, slow steady rise at start. Be sure they do not pull in on the rope, keep your arms out in front at waist level, straight arm or slight bend at elbow

If teaching wake board most common problem I see is plowing, make sure they do not have the board perpendicular to the water at the start, when people struggle with that I have found telling them to point their toes at the back of the boat helps. If they really struggle try a very slow pull at the start.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 3:42pm
I concur,
Double and tripple skiing is total blast for everyone, well, except for the rope man. but good midday camp fun.

That said, Best indicator of success i've found is if one can squat down azz to grass while keeping their feet flat and somewhat forward, then they can ski with is short time.

Indeed, better less throttle then more. Just takes one bad inflated story back at camp, spreads fast what a maniac you are.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 5:42pm
Or you can be a complete jag off of a driver making it nearly impossible for anyone else to ski thus making you look like a total bad ass.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 7:40pm
No boom. They are expensive and I don't have an interest in barefooting, so an extended pylon seemed like a better purchase.

Any suggestions on acceleration speed and cruising speed for combo ski and wakeboard beginners?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 8:04pm
Boom is a 1000% difference maker... I've taught a lot of people to ski and would not consider trying to teach someone without it. *Maybe* if someone was REALLY athletic/coordinated and REALLY motivated I could be talked into it, but I'd never try to entice people into it. Lots of frustration would be guaranteed.

HW's advice might be better.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 10:26pm
Booms aren't just for tubing, quinner tubes from his.

If you like spending a ton of time circling around to your non-skiing skier don't get a boom.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 10:47pm
Expensive- look for a used one and someday when your done sell it on,someone will want it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 10:47am
We had a huge family reunion 2 years ago on Lake Anna. Same age group as yours and a lot of young kids as well. At the beginning of the week lots of non skiers by the end of the week almost the entire family had tried or was skiing including my 70 year old mom!

The boom was an awesome tteaching tool , it gave the new skiers the steady support to get up that first time, allow d them to get the feel of what the skies were going to do and can get coaching from the boat as to form. After 3 successful up and outs on the boom I would attach a 5' handle. Same thing 3 successful up and outs and it it was time to go behind the boat.

Nice easy pull outs and slower speeds help. Make sure everyone knows hand signals that way if they want a little more or less speed you aren't left guessing.
Little kids are probably in the middle teens for speed, older kids and adults are in the low to mid 20's.

Fly high is good to have more people in the boat for support and good old family hazing!

We have another reunion coming up in 2 weeks and I can't wait to see who is ready to step up their game and see how many we can get up at once!
Old school goin back to school!
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 1:26pm
Not much luck. People just wanted to tube for the most part. I did get my wife's 60 year old uncle out waterskiing.
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 12:00am
Sorry to hear rodents chewed holes in the tube over the winter and made a nest out of the tube tow line. Such a shame......
Old school goin back to school!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 8:14am
Late to the game on this as the event has passed but another plug in investing in a boom. Wished I had bought one 15 years ago when my girls were small kids. Both my girls learned how to slalom off the boom. I'd suggest kneeboards in the future as they are pretty easy to master and tons of fun for two up boarding. My girlfriends kids (16 & 18) Kneeboarded for hours at a time on a recent 4 day weekend with some ski buds. They absolutely loved it and couldn't get enough of it. Her son even gave trick skiing a go successfully. Too much fun to be had going tubeless.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Or you can be a complete jag off of a driver making it nearly impossible for anyone else to ski thus making you look like a total bad ass.

Can't believe I missed this a few weeks back. HW that is absolutely hilarious.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic