NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pete has come out of the closet

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pete has come out of the closet
    Posted: July-22-2017 at 10:01am
I bet that got some attention but it's true sorta.

After all these years of picking on EI conversions and touting the advantages of points he has finally admitted that his 77 Tique has a Prestolite electronic conversion kit installed in it.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Rob,
Do you feel there's a problem with the EI? Ken is correct that the Prestolite EI is reliable. I have one in my 77. Yes Ken I ended up with an engine without points!!

He's probably been doing some durability testing of the thing for the last 15 years or so before going public with this.

GaryS might have an idea how many hours of run time this would be..

The other thought is that it's always run so good that he never looked under the cap and when he finally did he found an electronic setup

But anyways Pete...............congratulations on your entry into the late 20th century

PS If you need a points plate and the advance plate with the point cam to carry for spares, I'll send them to you, no charge
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 10:59am
Way to go Pete!

Now we need to find out if he still has a ballast resistor . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Way to go Pete!

Now we need to find out if he still has a ballast resistor . . .

Chris,
Good question! To be honest, I've never taken a close look for a resistor. I certainly will when I install the point plate, that Ken graciously offered!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 12:20pm
Better check type of battery you have also
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 2:53pm
Let's get it all out. The deck is painted on the 77 too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 3:10pm
Vinyl decals, 1.5 wide observer seat, PLATFORM... craziness.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 3:54pm
That's the wife and kid's boat right Pete?

They don't have to keep it original.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

That's the wife and kid's boat right Pete?

They don't have to keep it original.

Ken,
Yes, basically the boat was purchased for the wife and kids. They had outgrown the 140 I/O and the Tique was/is perfect for their needs and our lakes. I was disappointed to find some irregularities when I went to pick it up but I had committed to the purchase, had the cash in hand and did not want to start the search again. The big plus was the PO had already done a complete proper stringer job that I didn't have the time to undertake and still have a boat in the water for that summer. Besides the vinyl hull graphics, the biggest disappointment was the painted deck. Even worse is the paint used turned out to not hold up. It's almost as if the hardener wasn't added because any gas spilled immediately eats the paint and even sun screen softens it!

BTW, I never purchased or needed a boom for the Tique (or any boat) to teach skiing. There are tens of thousands out there who learned to ski before booms came out and still do learn without. Drivers who do use booms as a crutch to teach I put into the "wuss" category!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 6:12pm
OHHHHHHHHH the humanity !!!!!!!!!! All that I thought and believed in, I must now rethink.    Has any one checked to see if there is a frame oil filter on the engine?
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 6:38pm
You'd have to check in person Don,pictures could lie. He could use his HD employee discount,buy Frams then go to the paint department and get a spray can.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 6:45pm
OMG!!!!!!!! Mr. Original has an EI conversion!!!!!
Jesus, I'll bet he bought it from AutoZone thinking he'll improve performance.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I'm not really sure it wasn't original? Ken, was PCM using the modules in 77?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 9:39pm
I'm trying to come up with a witty way of saying NO but I'm obviously not too sharp right now, so just NO.

Maybe your boat got an early prototype, first one ever built, that sounds like a pretty good story
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 9:58pm

I'm not really sure it wasn't original? Ken, was PCM using the modules in 77?

ROFLMAO....Seriously Pete, you need to take the same advice you normally pass on to everybody else. Check the reference section. PCM engines in 93 still had points unless you opted for that awesome technological masterpiece called Protec.

So like Ken said....NO.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 10:07pm

ROFLMAO....Seriously Pete, you need to take the same advice you normally pass on to everybody else. Check the reference section. PCM engines in 93 still had points unless you opted for that awesome technological masterpiece called Protec..

Seriously Eddie, before you accuse me of not taking my own advice, I did check both the reference section and even searched out the Prestolite. I do not feel your ROFLMAO is warranted and very insulting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 11:33pm
Lotsa Pro Tec love there Eddie, a little touchy Pete?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 8:36am
ROTFLMAO!!! Pete has a resto mod. I thought it was just the TeeNee under the '58 that wasn't original. What's next, one of those YHs on the Dunphy is a dummy?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 9:38am

ROFLMAO....Seriously Pete, you need to take the same advice you normally pass on to everybody else. Check the reference section. PCM engines in 93 still had points unless you opted for that awesome technological masterpiece called Protec..

Seriously Eddie, before you accuse me of not taking my own advice, I did check both the reference section and even searched out the Prestolite. I do not feel your ROFLMAO is warranted and very insulting.

Sorry Pete,
My lite hearted attempt at humor with Ken's admitted absence of a witty response. It was not intended and if misconstrued, I humbly apologize.

Eddie
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!! Pete has a resto mod. I thought it was just the TeeNee under the '58 that wasn't original. What's next, one of those YHs on the Dunphy is a dummy?

Now there's the right idea, block off the aft one that is a leaker and leave it on so you have the original look. One barrel is sufficient.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 9:59am
Don't let them get to you Pete. Theyre all jealous.
Js
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 12:51pm

Sorry Pete,
My lite hearted attempt at humor with Ken's admitted absence of a witty response. It was not intended and if misconstrued, I humbly apologize.

Eddie, Certainly nice of you and being the bigger man to apologize but I hardly think it was necessary, just like I dont think it was necessary for Pete to get all whiney and snowflakey, for two reasons. 1 - he dishes out enough criticism and insults that he should be able to take it and 2 - you were hardly being critical and insulting. You were obviously joking. My goodness, if I got my knickers in a bunch every time we got a laugh at my expense, I would have packed up my d*ck Pope Jr ski years ago and gone over to the Bu Cru. No need for you to feel guilty just because someone peed in Pete's Cheerios that morning.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 2:19pm
I remember when Sebastian (Kapla) said to Pete: "so, keep it original with non-original parts" - I don't remember just exactly which parts we were talking about but I do remember LOLing for a few minutes.

My turn!
So, the "Correct Craft" font on Petes Atom is the wrong one, Billy also has it wrong on the Dart. That particular font was ONLY utilized on the blue burgee.   I sent that font file to someone a long time ago and evidently it wound up in wrong hands for the wrong purpose.
Also we have the incorrect rail feet for the deflector rail on the '77 Tique, But, it's an ebayliner so not really Pete's fault.
That's all I got for now.   I'll re-examine the pics and find more if ya'll want - if not I'll just pre-apologize to Pete now cause he really does help a whole lot of folks and I think he cares more about other peoples boats than they do.

Keep it....from sinkin'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 7:41pm

Sorry Pete,

Eddie,
Thanks for the words. They are very appreciated. I should be the one to apologize since I overreacted. Thanks again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 7:45am
Two of my co-workers came into my office to check on me... Apparently I was laughing to hard reading this page.
Friggin' great read!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 11:41am
We're seeing some raw emotion in this thread ........ I think I need a hug.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

We're seeing some raw emotion in this thread ........ I think I need a hug.

Here ya go

It's almost scary thinking about where this thread could go from here
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 2:06pm
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 2:31pm
Maybe we're all a bit Ei-curious.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic