NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ZDDP Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2018 at 7:57pm
yes, so far sounds like 10w-40 or 15w-40 , just have to look at the data a little closer to get apples to apples. specs have changed , epa regs have changed so you almost have to throw alot out the window and hope the man following too close behind you.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2018 at 7:59pm
Pete, AMS Oil has a ZDDP line for old engines. I've never used it as we use either VR1 or Straight Rotella in our boats. I have used AMS Oil 15-45 in our Malibu since new. I used to use it in my trucks, but no longer do as it is a PIA to find a shop that stocks it. Plus its expensive!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 4:49am
Rotella and Delo are on the shelf at Walmart, SAMs and most parts stores and has the ZDDP in 15-40W. Less than $20 per gallon. Not hard to find and it works.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 7:42am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Rotella and Delo are on the shelf at Walmart, SAMs and most parts stores and has the ZDDP in 15-40W. .

And the HD even stocks it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 11:23am
I was referring to the sae 40W not as easy to find it "on the shelf" not any current engine that probably specs it besides some tractor or generator. its got delo 40w last time I changed it after I bought boat last year.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 11:38am
Straight 40 is the factory specified oil for most any Detroit 2 stroke.
Had the darnedest time trying to convince the fd leadership till i showed it in black and white, and they were still skeptical. typical.

So, sniff out where 2s detroit owners go, we'll fine the straight 40W
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 2:02pm
Just to state a fact, Detroit designed those 2 stroke Diesels 50 years ago and that 40W was probably the best option, back then. 50 years later in 2018 if you go to any Diesel Repair or Parts house you see 15-40W on the shelf.   These Brand new Diesel engines still require the ZDDP in the oil so even the 15-40W has it and these Diesel repair and parts houses do not stock straight 40W any longer.
Buy Joe Gibbs or Royal purple if you wish but the 15-40W Diesel oil will work for you just fine.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 4:04pm
Back in the second post of this thread last summer there was a link to this thread that talked about changes in diesel oil.
CK-4 is the latest rating, it's been around for about a year now and some but not all CK-4 oil is lower in zinc with levels of about 800 or so ppm

Rotella T-4 and Valvoline Premium Blue 15w 40 diesel oil both have high zinc levels still in spite of their CK-4 rating.

Chevron Delo and Mobil Delvac, I 'll let you read the charts

With the previous rating of CJ-4 it was safe to say that any 15w40 diesel oil had the zinc levels people are looking for. With the advent of CK-4 it's now a crap shoot.

You can still find CJ-4 diesel oils with good zinc levels, you just have to read the labeling on the bottle and look at thePQIA link here to see what they have for zinc/phosphorus levels in the stuff they tested.

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 4:32pm
Like I've said before,   add a can of Lucas ZDDP additive to your favorite oil and forget about it.   That is what it is made for.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2018 at 5:05pm
Thanks for the link Keno.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Like I've said before,   add a can of Lucas ZDDP additive to your favorite oil and forget about it.   That is what it is made for.

+1 on what Duane sez...
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

+1 on what Duane sez...

1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 8:47am

At $14.00 a bottle/per oil change, I'll stick with using oil that already has ZDDP in it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 9:53am
I'll still use VR=1 and not worry about it.. BUT if your favorite oil does not contain enough zinc then this is an alternative.
Must be a cold hard winter to have beat this thread so long, and to have done it last year also.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 10:30am

Must be a cold hard winter to have beat this thread so long, and to have done it last year also.

Duane,
I'm sure it will continue with more winters in the future!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 11:08am
I'll stay away from the Lucas I saw them on the questionable list on the independent testing, i never was a proponent of putting in additives to oil BUT I have seen how will the Archoil helps my injectors in powerstroke during startup.

If I go away from the Delo 40, I probably end up using 15w40 marine & diesel amsoil since I can use the same in powerstroke and buy in 5 gallons at a time @ 133 for my dealer price.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

15w40 marine & diesel amsoil since I can use the same in powerstroke and buy in 5 gallons at a time @ 133 for my dealer price.

Great price. I pay $90~ for 2.5 gals at NAPA.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 11:41am
$9/qt, ouch.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 11:48am
I didn't know you can buy Amsoil at Napa? Thought it had to be through a dealer.

I used the Amsoil Diesel & Marine 15-40 in a Suburban diesel that I did a test on with the help of an Amsoil dealer, we did uoa on every change. It's an outstanding oil.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 12:05pm
For you midwest guys, Menards has VR-1 for 4.99 a quart and a .55 cent rebate til the 27th. Blains Farm and Fleet usually carries it for 4.50 a quart.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

$9/qt, ouch.

Yeah, but we get 2-3% increase in RPM with it!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 12:20pm
But I know where to get the decals that increase my HP
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 12:22pm
That's not as good.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 4:46pm
ZDDP is actually only specd at break in so its a moot point now really. Sure probably a higher number is better with a flat tappet. Would have been nice if they used roller motor instead.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

ZDDP is actually only specd at break in so its a moot point now really. .

Ross,
Lots including myself have a different opinion. I have seen first hand the damage done when non ZDDP oils were used on well broken in flat tappet engines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 6:34pm
Ross, Pete is correct. If you don't want to use zddp install a roller camshaft and lifters.
Flat tappet cams need zddp for protection against wear.
Mark
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Ross, Pete is correct. If you don't want to use zddp install a roller camshaft and lifters.
Flat tappet cams need zddp for protection against wear.
Mark

Ross,
Hopefully you haven't gone to a non ZDDP oil!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 8:19pm
OH NO! I better go order a new ZR409 right now just in case!!!!!!! Anyone got a spare Python motor !!!!???
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 8:40pm
If you guys are gonna disagree with Roscoe, could you at least get your info straight.

You talk about motor oil with no ZDDP................all MOTOR OIL has ZDDP in it. Some have more than others

The newer passenger car motor oils have 700 to 850 ppm zinc and the generally accepted magic number is around 1100 to 1200 ppm for older flat tappet engines.

I figure, to each his own, if Roscoe wants to run a lower zinc oil he can take his chances, it's his engine

I'm still trying to figure out why the Jeep Cherokee I had that fell apart around the engine was still running just fine with 250,000 plus miles on low ZDDP/zinc oil of around 800 ppm. No camshaft /lifter issues, just good old salt related rust issues.

Here's a link to the PQIA website where you can look at the oils they tested and see zinc and phosphorus levels in both the passenger car oil section and the diesel oil section

PQIA
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2018 at 8:24am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you guys are gonna disagree with Roscoe, could you at least get your info straight.

You talk about motor oil with no ZDDP................all MOTOR OIL has ZDDP in it. Some have more than others

Jeeze Ken, now I guess we'll need to start even more ZDDP oil threads!! One for old school off road high ZDDP oils and another for new school EPA approved catalytic converter protecting low ZDDP oils!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic