NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 Nautique Morse Control adustment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95 Nautique Morse Control adustment
    Posted: July-27-2017 at 8:53pm
I am curious if the drag on the Morse Throttle Control can be adjusted.

My 95 works well but I found it will not hold speed at any RPM under 1200 unless I apply pressure.   We towed a boat in on our last outing and I had to hold the throttle to keep it at 1200 RPM for an hour. Above 1,500 RPM it holds just fine at any higher speed. I am wondering if this could be adjusted to hold at any RPM as I choose? I had to replace a throttle cable years ago but have never attempted to adjust the Morse Throttle control.
I appreciate any tips on this.
Thanks
Mark
gdenkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdenkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 12:13am
Mark,

There is a set screw that acts like a brake that you can adjust.

Once you have removed the throttle mechanism cover, you will see the friction device. The throttle should remain where you set it.

Throttle Brake Adjustment
The control mechanism is equipped with an adjustable friction device (brake) for the throttle cable to prevent throttle creep. If needed, the friction device can be adjusted by turning the adjustment screw clockwise to increase braking and counterclockwise to decrease or remove braking. Any adjustments should be made with the control set at 1/2 throttle and the gear engaged. Gear shifting is not influenced by the brake.

Hope this helps.

94 Ski Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 12:54am
Thanks for taking the time to respond.   I have the Morse MV 2 and the instructions that came with my Nautique and they don't show or speak of an adjustment in the MV-2?
I did see that option in the newer version, MV-3?

I did more reading about this today and many said they just remove or run a lighter return spring on these 95 era engines.
Thinking about this I went out and lifted my engine cover and started thinking about how it is set up. Remember 1995 is the first year of the 351W Pro Boss Fuel Injected engine. I think a few things were done that were not ideal as they figured this out.
The throttle spring position is one. The fuel pump connections are another. But heck, I really like this boat.
I removed the OEM spring mount because they routed it through some of the engine wire harness and it rubbed on the throttle cable.
I made a new mount that bolts to the valve cover and moved the spring away so it does not rub anything. It is a straighter pull on the spring and throttle now. I adjusted the spring length so it has nearly zero pressure at idle and now, at least in my garage the throttle holds position with the new set up. I will get it on the water for a real test later.
Funny thing is, I searched this forum for anyone else that had this issue and found a post I had written on the same subject 3 years ago. Old age I guess.
I will try and attach pictures showing the spring change.
gdenkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdenkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2017 at 1:57am
Nice work, sounds like a fix.
94 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic