NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Identify this I/O

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Identify this I/O
    Posted: July-28-2017 at 12:38am
A guy I work with is looking at this boat, his neighbor is offering it to him for 50 bucks. Obviously very rough, but he's a guy that doesn't mind projects. The kind of box stringer system is different from what I'm used to seeing, clearly some rot and doesn't look all that strong to begin with. He's wondering if he sister'd up some of them and glassed over if that would add enough strength assuming the current system isn't completely rotten.

Can someone identify the straight 6 160 HP for us?

My quick reaction was to tell him that for relatively short money he could buy a boat close to turn key and not have a giant project in front of him, but then again it looked kind of interesting. Transom appears to be solid. Anyone know anything about a Tom Sawyer Tri-Sonic? Here's a link to an album with some pictures, at this point I've completely lost the ability to post pictures here so this is the best I can do.

Pics of Tom Sawyer
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 7:45am
Your link doesn't work, you've just lost it completely.

Just as a wild guess a 160 HP straight 6 in a boat has a real good chance of being a 250 cubic inch Chevy.

Reliable with a capital R for the most part

Some IO "stringer" systems are completely different from a straight inboard with a lot of the beefy area right under the engine and they don't necessarily have stringers that run front to back or maybe as Pete would put it fore and aft.

Pretty much a structure to hold the FLOOR up and add some strength to the hull that sounds like what you're describing as a box stringer setup

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 7:55am
Ken,
Your guesses are always good ones and I'd say you are correct. The HP is the best clue but without it, I would have gone back farther in time to an Interceptor with the Eaton outdrive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 12:36pm
Sorry I'm so inept with this these days guys. Please try the link again, it seems to work for me now.

I was all set to talk him out of it but the more I looked the more I felt it might be a project he could complete with a minimum of engine/outdrive work, would be more focused on building a new floor and putting the interior back together. I should mention that I didn't see them, but he said the owner has the seats and engine compartment enclosure so he wouldn't be starting from scratch on those interior items.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 1:09pm
David,
Ken nailed the engine and I/O ID.

As far as sistering the stringer system and then glassing them over, in general that's a bad idea in my opinion since the condition of the original is in question. He's going to have to do some exploring to find out the condition.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 2:34pm
Pete, I tend to agree, what I'd like to determine is if he could safely run the boat without addressing the stringers at this time.   I know that's not the best long term plan, but would be better than him diving into a project he may never finish.

Any thoughts on whether an old outdrive like that could be run without too much trouble? I told him he'd likely have to replace the bellows, not sure what else to look for.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 3:16pm
Pay the fifty bucks, sister the stringers, use polyester from Walmart and have some fun. When he tires of it sell it to someone on Tom Sawyer Fan ๐Ÿ˜‰
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 4:00pm
He's definitely leaning that way Gary. I'm just trying to really warn him of the level of work it needs, make sure the cheap 50 buck price doesn't blind him to the hours and hours of work before he can use it. I think the project is more promising than I first thought when he was describing it. I have to admit that the old straight 6 got my attention, cool motor to have.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 4:16pm
I added 3 more pictures that show the dash and the hull. They didn't upload last night. I tell you, I'm feeling like a freaking genius with this picture upload stuff.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 5:11pm
With no interior at all its an upside down proposition as a viable boat. Its a rotten POS that will suck the joy out of summer and your will to live. With no nameplate marque recognition it will live and die as a craigslist killer of dreams. Just a basic rebuild of the drive will cost more than that thing will ever return.
Be a friend and talk your boy off of the ledge.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 6:37pm
Well it does have the interior, supposedly. But I think your point is well taken and it's definitely where I started out. Maybe I'm being sucked in as well, I look at it and if it was me I'd have no problem getting the mechanical side sorted out, I think with modest work I would have it running, gauges working, and find out the condition of the drive pretty quickly. The interior work does give me pause, and I'd hate to see him putting good money after bad trying to bandaid it together.

I'm talking to him shortly, will relay the pitfalls and see where he's at with it.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 7:30pm
Good luck David. Sorry to be a turd in the punch bowl but I see it daily. People hire me to evaluate their dream boat, I tell them its crap and will hemorrhage cash at a a frightful pace for time eternal and they still buy the goddamn thing. Shake my head, cash the check and go do it again tomorrow.
Nothing more expensive than a free boat, or a $50 boat I guess. That guy needs a nautique.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 8:11pm
No apology needed! I really do appreciate the Straight Talk. Also, to say this again, I won't be involved in the restoration of this boat. I may, if asked, enjoy getting the engine rotating in clean oil and working towards starting it up, I'd have fun with that, but that would be it. He's a really good guy and I just want to see him succeed, not get bogged down as you suggest. So, I'm recommending he pass on it but knowing him have a feeling he already has his mind set on giving it a try.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 8:18pm
That model was my 1st boat. Mine had rotted stringers when it was 8 years old. Did the sister repair. Worked for the rest of the time I owned it.

The boat didn't have good torsion strength, imo. Could have been all the rot, i guess..

For $50 you can part it out & be way ahead of a rebuild.
โ€œBeer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.โ€

Ben Franklin
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2017 at 2:04pm
Pretty sure that a MerCruiser 160hp = 235ci Chevrolet
                                                     165hp = 250ci        "
                                                     200hp = 292ci        "

So, If your friend is receiving a Tom Sawyer plus 50.00 cash, he's still getting hosed rather harshly.   Unless his new hobby is throwing away perfectly good un-used dollars.

I would suggest finding some other brand that at least has some popularity and or a tinge of collector value.   

There is a marine salvage yard not too far from me which is full to the brim with Tom Sawyers, Mark Twains, IMPs,

If I was closer (geographically) to your friends neighbor, I would offer to haul it off for right around 600.00 and that would include any leaf raking or refuse removal underneath the spot where the Tom Sawyer was.

Keep it....from sinkin'
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 1:02pm
He decided to grab it, I think his mind was made up before even asking my opinion. I'll update on progress assuming he doesn't think better of this once he evaluates the project.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 1:47pm
Too bad he did not put his efforts towards a Ski Nautique, At least he would have had something to start with.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

Too bad he did not put his efforts towards a Ski Nautique, At least he would have had something to start with.

I don't think an inboard is the right choice for this guy. I/O or outboard makes more sense. An 18' center console or regular helm, open bow boat would be perfect, He wants to trailer around, fish with his wife and kid, would be on waters he doesn't know well.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 8:58am
Plenty of nay sayers here, but since he got it, I'd get the engine running and make sure it spins the outdrive before getting into the stringers/floor.

If nothing else he'll get an education on boats.

Like you said, not everybody needs or wants a ski boat/ inboard. Most of the world doesn't when you get right down to it..

Wish him luck and help him with the engine. Those in line 6's are fun and pretty easy to work on.

And BTW for Dr CC, do a little checking you'll find plenty of 250 cubic inch 160 HP Mercruisers were built. They became 165 HP with an intake and exhaust manifold change in later years
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 10:38am
Yes Ken, right after I said that I realized the year for the 235 was earlier than the Tom Sawyer.   Like '62-'63-'64    The boat is probably right around '68-'69

Keep it....from sinkin'
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 3:13pm
I try to talk friends out of buying boats all the time, they rarely listen.

It looks like the transom could be OK but it's hard to say from a couple pictures. At least the little bit of plywood edge you can see doesn't look rotten and I don't see spider cracks on the transom from the outside. That's my biggest concern with an I/O, as far as the amount of work required to pull the drive and engine, repair the transom properly, and reinstall - plus those stringers...

That said, it does appear to have some cool vintage original hardware. As was said above, see if the motor runs and the drive turns, shifts, etc. before spending more than the cost of a basic tune-up.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 10:56pm
It seems like JohnB had a Tom Sawyer. He is familiar with them. My father in law had one too. Before my time.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic