Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holman Moody 351 in 1973 Southwind

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RobertB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holman Moody 351 in 1973 Southwind
    Posted: August-03-2017 at 12:08am
Hello all,

After lurking the CC forum for a while and lusting after a CC boat for decades, I am finally getting a barn find Southwind 20 that has not been out for 12 years or more. I am aware that there will be issues, but I think the boat is basically sound.

One thing I can't figure. How is constant flow achieved through the manifold logs? It looks like the raw water pump pushes into the heads, I can't see how the flow bypasses the engine/thermostat when cold? Maybe there is not a thermostat in the housing? Pretty crazy, looks like the raw water pump is driven directly off of the crank!

The constant flow path is pretty obvious in my other 351 boat - a '76 MC Stars/Stripes with commander marinized engine..
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 12:28am
I do not know the answer to your question, but I do know that a 351 Homan Moody is a very nice find. Personally, I would pull it and put it in a Mustang or Skier (69-72). You have come to the right place for that boat and motor. Soon your questions will be answered. I love the sound of the HM Powered Boats.

Very nice.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 2:12am
Water is bypassed thru a drilling in the thermostat cover,the one with the manifold hoses connected to it.
[/IMG]

Thermostat is mounted in the normal Ford location,the water is bypassed thru the hole at the black arrow going into the cover and out to the manifolds. I believe this is traditional Ford cooling practice. Water enters the block first then into the heads. Then through them and into the intake manifold,then out the thermostat. Exhausts are not HM but close. Interesting pulley arrangement usually found on later model HM's with a circulating pump.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
RobertB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 8:56pm
Thanks all for the inputs. I guess the system works, but seems like the flow through the system would be variable, and seems like there would need to be a good bit of flow through the engine even with the thermostat closed.

The manifolds are Nicson, look good, maybe aluminum, will check.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 9:24pm
Problem is there is too good of flow,your very lucky if you ever see 120 on the gauge.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jay SE IN. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 3:19pm
Enjoy it! I had a 70 Southwind with a 318 for many years. Lots of freeboard when the kids were real little. I felt safe with those high sides. Now that they are 27 31 33 they are happy to be in the Ski Nautique. Those are great big water boats. You cant hardly get a wave to come over tht bow.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Problem is there is too good of flow,your very lucky if you ever see 120 on the gauge.
I too am working on issues with my H/M set up...Gary, how large is your by pass hole in your thermostat housing ??
RobertB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 11:29pm
She cleaned up pretty well! Somewhere along the line, the hull was painted from baby blue, excellent paint job. I think the deck is painted also, white on white. The teak will look great soon, really like the teak on the ski side storage.

Have not treated the vinyl with anything. Am sure the dash will look better with some stuff.

Any recommendations for vinyl preservation? It is soft and in great condition other than just being deeply dirty.

Left to do: change impeller, change fuel hose (was cracked at fuel pump inlet), change drive fluid. She did fire with a little start fluid down the throat.

Gotta love the searchlight!

JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 11:50pm
I have the blower vent cover if your interested
Old school goin back to school!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 12:03am
Here is a list of what many here have used-
Boat bling
Babes
303 protectant

Wonder if your original colors were similar to my Mustang?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 9:15am
Welcome Aboard. I like your find! Enjoy it!
Js
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 4:21pm
Enjoy the boat, Hurry summer is not over yet.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 10:44pm
Many here use the 303 cleaner and protectant. Also, 303 fabric guard on the Sunbrella covers and such.
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 10:54pm
wow....very nice!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 4:04pm
For vinyl cleaning, Totally awesome from the dollar store or ZCare LVP Marine cleaner, use a soft bristle brush where needed, rinse well. Once clean a healthy coating of 303 protectant.

Boat looks great
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

For vinyl cleaning, Totally awesome from the dollar store or ZCare LVP Marine cleaner, use a soft bristle brush where needed, rinse well. Once clean a healthy coating of 303 protectant.

Boat looks great

That's LA's Totally Awesome that Quinner's referring to, best bang for the buck.............ever.

At the real dollar stores like say Dollar Tree it's a buck a bottle and it works well on all kinds of stuff.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 8:14pm
No telling where Quinner uses that stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic