NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet drive
    Posted: August-05-2017 at 3:10pm
Looking at a 79 mustang fir a friend water test revealed reverse gear but no forward gear boat has been sitting 10 years any thoughts
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2017 at 5:13pm
Show the seller what a new trans costs and deduct that from the sales price. At the minimum it needs a rebuild
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jay SE IN. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 3:10pm
I just rebuilt mine last month. It wasnt too bad. Downloaded and printed the manual at the library. New gaskets and drive clutches was about $185. Clutch plates very simular to GM turbo 400 . But the previous poster is correct. Tell them what a rebuilt one out the door costs. ($1700?)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Jay SE IN. Jay SE IN. wrote:

I just rebuilt mine last month. It wasnt too bad. Downloaded and printed the manual at the library. New gaskets and drive clutches was about $185. Clutch plates very simular to GM turbo 400 . But the previous poster is correct. Tell them what a rebuilt one out the door costs. ($1700?)

Was the pump in spec? A clutch pack and gaskets are not a rebuild!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 3:32pm
Yes. I have over 40 years. experience working on automatic transmissions.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 3:34pm

Yes. I have over 40 years. experience working on automatic transmissions.

Automotive or marine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 3:35pm
I was trying to encourage someone. Not tear them down. Im done now.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Was the pump in spec? A clutch pack and gaskets are not a rebuild!!

Pete, could you please elaborate??? Where did you find the pump specs, and how do you check them??? Are you talking about pressure specs or dimensional specs??   Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 6:49pm
Pete's gonna learn us all about Borg Warner's.

Don't forget, he thought that a car auto like a C6 or Turbo 400 had dry clutches not too long ago.

I figure Jay knows what he was doing with whatever Pete wants to call the job.

I remember you asking the same question before with no answer back Duane
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 7:42pm

I just rebuilt mine last month. It wasnt too bad.

Jay, Good for you that you took the initiative to tackle your own trans. I too did the same as you and now have over 25 hours on mine. Most people with mechanical ability and the tools can achieve success doing their own and avoiding huge charges.   One member keeps harping about the pump being so much of a problem and that it needs rebuilt to be a "Complete" rebuild. A pump can be purchased new for around $150 and takes a total of less than 3 minutes to install. You have to either install the old one or the new one anyway so it is no big deal   The Velvet Drive is a very simple design. Takes an afternoon to "Rebuild"   Duane
ps. stick around, it sounds like you have a lot of knowledge that you could share with us..
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pete's gonna learn us all about Borg Warner's.

Wrong Ken! I'm the one who wants to learn since pump tolerances aren't published. So Ken what are the max clearances?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 8:27pm
I have rebuilt several automatic transmissions, and I am by no chance an expert. But what I have learned so far is the clearance in clutch packs has been set up by the steels thickness. So as long as you replace the steels with the same thickness you should be good to go. If not then try again. The clutch packs I have been working with have about a .040 window in the tolerances between tight and loose. I agree rebuild your own and save the money. I hear everyone say don't run synthetic transmission fluid. We have been running Amsoil ATF for over 25 years in our 88 2001 Ski Nautique with no problems. Good luck with the transmission rebuild.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 8:44pm
I don't throw out the same stupid comment to every guy that asks transmission questions Pete. Like Duane and Jay a few posts back, I 'll actually encourage somebody and tell him that he can do it with a manual a few special tools and the desire to try it. Seems like I told Duane he could handle it in spite of your discouragement a while back.
And Guess what....................he did it and made some special tools that he'll duplicate for anybody that wants them for a reasonable price.

You don't know the tolerances, I never claimed to and they aren't in a B/W manual either like you said.

So why do you ask Jay a few posts back if the pump clearances were in spec ?.

You're just spewing sheet( that's the Mexican pronunciation by the way) doing your usual job of trying to make somebody feel like they know nothing and can't have possibly taken their transmission apart, fixed what was wrong and have it work ever again even though your transmission knowledge is lacking to put it politely.

You never saw a tolerance from Eric posted other than a look at score marks on the pump housing surfaces and if you could feel them it was probably replacement time. That may not have even come from Eric, might just be one of those things I learned over the years that may or may not be true, but it works for me.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

. I hear everyone say don't run synthetic transmission fluid. We have been running Amsoil ATF for over 25 years in our 88 2001 Ski Nautique with no problems. Good luck with the transmission rebuild.

Frank

You're not supposed to say that you use synthetic ATF, on CCF That's a well kept secret among those of us who do

You'll get jumped all over (or we both will) for that statement.

It's easier to say "Yep use Dex 3"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 9:11pm
Ken,
Your comments are well taken. Thanks. If I ever do find out the pump tolerances, I'll be sure to share them just like you share all your knowledge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 9:21pm

Ken,
Your comments are well taken. Thanks. If I ever do find out the pump tolerances, I'll be sure to share them just like you share all your knowledge.
Damn Pete, lighten up a bit... Not everyone is an engineer as you, but some of us just might be able to learn to repair if given the chance...Positive Mental Attitude....First you learn how to do IT, Then you learn how to do it Correctly...Food for Thought
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 9:39pm
nice to see you back Doc!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 9:44pm
Eric had you guys fooled, evidently still does, he even hinted to that notion at one point.
I guess he figured, if people were such an expert, they would be able to figure it out themselves in short order.
Keep it....from sinkin'
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 10:18pm
OK, can you guy's enlighten me on the trans fluid, my fading memory is that Eric always recommended against synthetic, because it is too slippery iirc?? I have spewed that advice ever since and certainly won't any longer if that is not a fact??
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 10:47pm

Ken,

I doubt that you will ever find the tolerances for the pump. My recommendation is to inspect the pump for wear and replace if you think it is needed or use the existing. The only function of the pump is to provide pressure to the forward and reverse pistons to lock up the clutches----period. So a "REBUILD" is basically to replace the seals and the clutches as needed. Guys, it ain't rocket science!! If I can help with special tools I will do my best to help.   Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 10:48pm
Just me speaking, but many years ago I rebuilt a transmission that was given to me, put it in the boat and after hearing all this talk of "too slippery" etc figured I'd find out for myself.

I put in some synthetic Dex 3 equivalent and have never had a problem but it's a lot easier to say "use Dex 3" and you won't have any problems.

I'm on a very strict maintenance routine with this trans by the way. I check the fluid every now and then and I haven't changed it in at least 700 hours.

Kind of a torture test.

Myself, I'm happy with it but the choice to use it is up to the owner. I did it because it was a free transmission that I spent a little on to fix it so if I screwed it up, no big deal.

Go to the MC website and there are plenty of people using it with no ill effects and probably the same on PN or the Malibu crew. They probably change their fluid though   

I've kept my mouth shut cause I figure if somebody switches and has a problem of any kind it gets blamed on the synthetic ATF and some clown named Ken O.

I figure if it's got to meet a spec it doesn't matter if it's synthetic or dino based stuff as long as it meets the spec

All I can say is "don't do it because I do it." cause I like to do things like this to find out for myself.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 10:52pm
My gear was a metal box full of rusty water I dragged out from under a shipping container in Fort Myers. The fwd clutch was welded together and the main plates and pumps tattooed with corrosion. I put a kit in it and dressed all the flat surfaces on a granite slab with wet and dry. That was ~400 hours ago. Seems to work OK. I borrowed a few special tools from a friend.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 10:53pm
Thanks KenO,     Truer words were probably never spoken,   thanks. Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

My gear was a metal box full of rusty water I dragged out from under a shipping container in Fort Myers. The fwd clutch was welded together and the main plates and pumps tattooed with corrosion. I put a kit in it and dressed all the flat surfaces on a granite slab with wet and dry. That was ~400 hours ago. Seems to work OK. I borrowed a few special tools from a friend.

^^+1
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 11:24pm
By the way Pete

You have a package coming USPS if the post office people can find your house. Should be there Thursday

The address way up there in the Northwoods didn't come up in their computer .
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 1:53am

By the way Pete

You have a package coming USPS if the post office people can find your house. Should be there Thursday

Keno, send Pete some love..............
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

nice to see you back Doc!
Glad to be missed, tho not much has changed with the pecking order here..........Move on, nothing to see here...
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 6:37am

Just me speaking, but many years ago I rebuilt a transmission that was given to me, put it in the boat and after hearing all this talk of "too slippery" etc figured I'd find out for myself.

I put in some synthetic Dex 3 equivalent and have never had a problem but it's a lot easier to say "use Dex 3" and you won't have any problems.

I'm on a very strict maintenance routine with this trans by the way. I check the fluid every now and then and I haven't changed it in at least 700 hours.

Kind of a torture test.

Myself, I'm happy with it but the choice to use it is up to the owner. I did it because it was a free transmission that I spent a little on to fix it so if I screwed it up, no big deal.

Go to the MC website and there are plenty of people using it with no ill effects and probably the same on PN or the Malibu crew. They probably change their fluid though   

I've kept my mouth shut cause I figure if somebody switches and has a problem of any kind it gets blamed on the synthetic ATF and some clown named Ken O.

I figure if it's got to meet a spec it doesn't matter if it's synthetic or dino based stuff as long as it meets the spec

All I can say is "don't do it because I do it." cause I like to do things like this to find out for myself.

Good stuff Ken.
I did kinda the same thing with my last 98 Volvo S70 turbo. I beat the snot out of that sucker for 409K miles when a teeny bopper rear ended me which the insurance company promptly totaled out on me.
The last time I changed oil in it I ran it 8K miles between changes and in that 8K it was down a half qt. of oil. I insisted on using nothing but that piece of crap orange Fram filter that everybody chastises just to make a prove a point. Never mentioned a word about.
It was still one of the fastest cars I ever drove from a rolling start to about 100MPH when the insurance company came and loaded it on a flatbed.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 6:51am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

By the way Pete

Keno, send Pete some love..............

Some love and we'll call it an EI reversion kit or something like that so he can change his Tique back to points if he wants to.

Might come in handy in something like a nuclear blast with all that EMP radiation that supposedly kills electronic stuff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 7:25am
Ken,
Yes, that point plate will come in handy when North Korea sends their love over to us. Thanks for thinking of me. BTW, leave it up to the USPS computer system to not recognize the address! They deliver every Monday through Saturday to this box on hwy. 32 Three Lakes Wi.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic