Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM Thermostat Housing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
frydaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frydaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM Thermostat Housing
    Posted: August-06-2017 at 9:51pm
I have a 1966 Barracuda with a 351 PCM. I removed the thermostat housing looked into the outlet, to the recirculation water pump, and it looks like there is blockage. When I say blockage, it is blockage of water flow from the intake manifold. But, it looks metallic like it should be there. My questuon is there a water baffle inside of the housing in the outlet to the recirculating water pump?
Thanks,
Frydaddy
Frydaddy
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 10:39pm
A picture's worth a thousand words so here's a picture

If you're talking about the hole at about the 2 o'clock position in the picture and the baffle is cast as part of the housing..........then yes it's supposed to be like that

Hope your housing is prettier than the one in my picture

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 10:56pm
Ah great Ken,I go out to my boat take it all apart only to have you beat me to post!

lower thermostat housing
[/IMG]

upper thermostat housing
[/IMG]

As Ken says both are open ,no restrictions
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 11:00pm
Gary and Ken,
Chris's engine is a 351 Merc. Differences???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by frydaddy frydaddy wrote:

I have a 1966 Barracuda with a 351 PCM.
Frydaddy

That's not what Frydaddy said in his first post of the thread Pete

But I did find an old post where he said it was a 233 Mercruiser so who knows

I had an old junker laying around Gary so it was easy to get the picture.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 11:10pm
Looking down the hole in my picture there looks to be an obstruction, but it's part of the casting and water can flow around it to get to the pump like Gary said. It was built that way.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Frydaddy

But I did find an old post where he said it was a 233 Mercruiser so who knows.

I suggest taking a look at his diary entry - I did! So, is the Merc marinization different?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Frydaddy

But I did find an old post where he said it was a 233 Mercruiser so who knows.

I suggest taking a look at his diary entry - I did! So, is the Merc marinization different?

If it's a Merc, it's a lot different on the cooling side of things. About 6 miles of hoses to and from the exhaust manifolds and a very different thermostat housing too.

Maybe it's a Merc engine with a PCM cooling system and aluminum Interceptor manifolds.

He mentions the manifolds in his diary entry.

Sounds like a real mongrel, my kind of engine, I like it
frydaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frydaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 2:26am
It is a Merc engine with a PCM cooling system and aluminum Interceptor manifolds.

It originally had a Chrysler poly engine. I switched it out with a 233 MerCruiser. I used the aluminum manifolds so I could continue using my fiberglass dog house.

The blockage would be in the lower piece. See attached picture. It's kind of in thr middle.

content://media/external/file/25305
Frydaddy
frydaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frydaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 2:49am
Here is the photo. Thanks for the reply. I have overheating issue and also have a restriction in the middle of the lower thermostat housing. I will remove.

Frydaddy
RichieG66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieG66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 12:06am
anyone find them being made? or anyone who has them in stock? so tough to find
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 12:41am
I'm about 1-2 years ahead of you,I looked everywhere. Ended up with a very nice used one. Ebasicpower showed they had them,took my money then about 3 weeks later said they could not get it. I suspect they are just a drop shipper for some parts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
RichieG66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieG66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 12:54am
yeah they are even listed on ebasic power through google search but say not available. but if you search the part directly on their site they wont show up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic