Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder for San Juan

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BartC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BartC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder for San Juan
    Posted: August-08-2017 at 3:53pm
Looking for a rudder to fit my San Juan. Rudder post is 1.25" diameter. Please PM me if you have a rudder that might fit or know of a source.

Thanks.

Bart
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 8:51am
Marine Hardware most probably built it. Check with them if you have to go the new route.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
BartC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BartC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 12:08pm
Scott,

Thanks for the tip on Marine Hardware--Nautique wants about $700 for a new rudder! I was fortunate to locate a good used Chris Craft rudder that is a perfect fit for less than half the cost of a new one!

One thing I learned is that the tiller arms on many rudders have a tightening bolt that extends through a groove on the side of the rudder shaft so that the rudder can't slip out even if the tiller arm becomes loose. Correct Craft didn't use this design and it cost me a new rudder.   

Bart
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 12:17pm
Instead, cc used 2 bolts (one to clamp the tiller arm to the rudder shaft and another holding it down from the top) which were then safety wired together... performs the same function. It sounds like maybe your safety wire wasn't in place, which allowed both bolts to loosen up?
BartC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BartC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 2:50pm
The problem was that the tiller arm broke where it clamps around the square end of the rudder shaft. Strangely, the bolt that clamped the tiller arm was missing entirely so I really don't know what happened but a close inspection of the break indicates that it had been cracked for some time before finally breaking off.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2017 at 4:07pm
Same rudder as a ski nautique
woodyelc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic