Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat launch etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Trailers should be what forms the line not boats, Like many at the public launch, he was clueless

Exactly how I have always operated.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 12:32pm
Trailers should be what forms the line not boats, Like many at the public launch, he was clueless
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 11:47am
I'm siding with GottaSki and try to go about my business with minimal interaction.

If someone needs help sure I'll jump in otherwise you do your thing I'll do mine. I have little patience at the ramp.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 11:44am
You didn't do anything wrong. He was obviously clueless.   You shouldn't have to chat with people at the ramp and find out their intentions. Talking to them could cause more problems depending on the persons attitude. If there wasn't a trailer waiting or he wasn't going to the dock he should get out of the way.   Just part of having fun at the ramp!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You can't change the past but can change the future.

Next time pull up beside other boat on the water & see what his plan is.

Glad for you it didn't escalate.

Have to agree with this, a friendly Hi, and a little conversation as you're getting next to him to see what he's planning/thinking.

Who knows what the reply back would have been, but he at least wouldn't think you were cutting in front of him without at least asking.

Who knows, you might have ended up helping him since he was alone
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 11:00am
Don't worry. Every day is like that for people like him, everywhere they go, the world sh|ts on them, because thats the color classes they wear.
Dunkin's
Gas Station
Deli
Bank
County Fair
its endless
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 10:55am
You can't change the past but can change the future.

Next time pull up beside other boat on the water & see what his plan is.

Glad for you it didn't escalate.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:58am
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:56am
I've been around boats most of my life. I can launch/land in a few minutes. I'm also a non-confrontational person. If there is a clear order I am supposed to follow, I do, but I also don't like waiting around if there is no reason to.

Tonight at the launch I was heading in for the evening. A boat was in front on me (red) between 2 buoys (blue), but generally I don't consider the boats waiting there to be "in line" for anything except a dock spot, which there are only 2. I assumed the boat in front was waiting for one of those, or waiting for his buddy to back in a trailer.

The launch also has these side bumper things on the outside edge of each launch spot (green). They are wide enough to walk on but have no tie downs. People use them all the time as extra dock space as long as they don't need to tie off.

So, without thinking about it, I just went around him and grabbed a spot on the side bumper to go get my truck. Once I was backed in, he had just gotten his dock spot (he was alone) and was heading to the parking lot. I realized he was mad. I said I'm sorry, didn't need a dock spot so thought I would keep things moving. I said I'd be out before he got back. He said "Bull*************** and you know it. You passed me in line."

I was pulling out as he rounded the corner to back in his trailer, no problem. So I went and parked to pull the plug and clean up. That took another few minutes.

When I was ready to leave he pulls up right in front of my car and blocks me from driving forward, clearly as retaliation. We had my 3 kids and the neighbor kid with, I didn't want to stick around and attempt another apology, so I just backed up (quite easily) and left. He gave me a G-rated thumbs up as I passed by.

Next time I guess I will be more careful and talk with other boaters at the launch, but until he started acting up, I really didn't think I had done anything wrong. I only took space that was not being used.

What do you think? Did I budge?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic