NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat launch etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 2:03pm
My wife has been hit on at the ramp because she can back the trailer straight. She reminds me of this once & a while . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

My wife has been hit on at the ramp because she can back the trailer straight. She reminds me of this once & a while . . .

Mrs jbear (Patti) can back the trailer and or load the boat. Very helpful and she looks way better than me while she is doing either job. I have had way more than one guy approach me in the parking lot asking "how did you teach her to do that?"

When we lived in Avon Ohio Larry there was a boat launch on Lake Erie.....Miller Rd launch ramp. Patti and I used to get Subway and go down there just to watch. Hilarious and at times..a bit sad. Way to many fights between husband and wife in front of all the kids at the end of what was otherwise a fun day.

john

"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 2:26am
If by myself at a ramp or without competent help, I let others that are dropping/loading go ahead of me if they don't have docking that doesn't block ramp, even though I can drop and load by myself much faster than the typical husband wife combo...

Trailer line dictates order.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Ya. and Dreaming when you let her run with it, you let her run with it. Mr. Hall is good boat driver. Actually a very good boat driver. But she does not think like me. Never will. 99 out of 100 times, she pulls the boat on an off of trailer great. That other 1%, can either hold my tongue or get a divorce. If she were to total the boat, would not be worth price of divorce or price of my emotional stability as I actually love my wife. It's a boat. *************** happens. Very hard for me to accept sometimes, but it is the truth. If she happened to total the boat. which will never happen, not even close to the importance of wife and daughter.

BKH

Totally agree Brian! Mrs. dreaming is a better docker than I am, just not as confident about it.   The trailer on the other hand... That is going to take a bit more practice.   She is good at pulling the boat/trailer out of the water though.   We make a good team, and once we have more boating days under our belts, I am sure she will be a rock star boat loader... or trailer backer, or both.   
Heck... she will probably be a better driver than me all the way around.
ac505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2017 at 7:23am
Unfortunately there are idiots everywhere. My dad taught me one very important thing,"there is no arguing with stupidity" so agree that we should get on about our own business and help others where needed.

Reminds me of a situation years ago, we were out on my old MC on a choppy day early spring and on this day my prop shaft decided to snap resulting in a 1" hole below the waterline. For those that have not experienced this, a LOT of water soon comes into the boat And without wetsuits on I would say you have tops 10 minutes in the water before you have bigger problems to deal with so needless to say I was a little flustered. Fortunately I managed to get a tow to shore by the local rangers, I had my bilge pump running constantly and quickly rerouted the ballast pumps to draw water, so unless we had an electrical failure we were good. Arrived back at the ramp under tow, and understandably the ranger helps us get to the front of the queue.on the dock. In this situation we kind of have priority over both boats moored and those queued with trailers. But OMG did I receive torrents of abuse whilst I hastily nipped past all those waiting to pull out the boat out. Even after explaining we were sinking, people still felt they had priority; there were two slips so we weren't really holding anybody up and we were out the water in only a few minutes.
This was where my dads wise words came to mind.....

cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2017 at 2:05pm
Mostly our ramp runs smoothly, 3 lanes, lots of tie ups out of the way. Once in a while a young person that doesn't know how to drive a boat with "deer in the headlights eyes" will be left blocking a ramp while holding a boat in place by hand, no ropes in sight or life jackets. The driver has left to go get his trailer, unaware I suppose there are 10 rigs in line in front of him coming back from the parking lot.. I feel it is best to just work around this person, but my wife will take a rope over and talk to the person and help tie them off somewhere. She's an RN, and has a very calming influence on people.. I would probably get arrested or in a fight with the driver.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2017 at 3:59pm
When I'm in bad mood all I have to do is go to my local boat ramp and before I know it I'm cracking up.
The weekenders
there was this one time where the guy forgot to hook the boat to the trailer and gunned it well the sound of the IO dragging on the ground I will not forget lol
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2017 at 6:34pm
I witnessed same thing but guy stopped with nose of boat just barely on trailer & outdrive holding up stern.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2017 at 10:52pm
Having read all that, I tend to take newbies mistakes and bumbling with a grain of salt and if it seems they need a pointer or two, perhaps offer a nugget now and then, if they're open to it.   Let's face it, we've all been the newbie at one time.

HOWEVER, stupidity, carelessness and rudeness from folks that should obviously know better gets under my skin as well. But in over 40 years of boating I really haven't run into this very much. Count myself lucky I suppose. Newbie stories however .....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic