Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tower Knob for 99 Sport with Flight Control Tower
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tower Knob for 99 Sport with Flight Control Tower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sbrian26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrian26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tower Knob for 99 Sport with Flight Control Tower
    Posted: August-09-2017 at 12:27pm
I lost the knob securing the folding Flight Control Tower on my 99 Sport Nautique.

Does anyone know the thread size for the fluted knob securing the tower?

I'll likely not get the Nautique dealer one at $55 when similar fluted knob can be obtained for < $10. Hoping someone knows the thread size off hand.

Thanks!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 12:49pm
White Lake Marine in White lake NC, AKA www.nautique parts.com has them for the FCT2 your tower might be a FCT1 if it was an OEM tower. You save 10% using discount code PND. They are a site sponsor. It is worth a look.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:12pm
FCT1 did not have knobs, just Allen head bolts, likely a replacement tower, either OEM or NDT.

Go to Menards and get a handful of bolts in the size range with various threads, use those to determine what you need. Want to say its around 3/8" iirc.
sbrian26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrian26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:24pm
I'm the second owner -- the OEM tower came installed form the dealer (was not added later) and It is definitely an OEM model FCT with knobs. I know the boat was purchased new from the dealer as I am friends with the original owner --- The tower folds over and originally had two (sprung) non-removable fluted knobs. Over the years one of the knobs lost it's retainer and was able to be removed. (I just realized I could have simply gotten a new hog ring to retain it however didn't realize this until it fell out the other day into the lake.   Oh well. I see the replacement at White Lake nautiqueparts.com -- it is $55 + shipping [but is still not the same as the oem knob with spring]. This is same cost as my local dealer Sun & Ski. Amazon has similar fluted knobs (of course not apples to apples) but for < $10 I'll give them a try. I'll have to pull the remaining original knob and/or measure it for comparison. -- I saw also in this forum at one time someone was selling billet knob replacements but they don't seem to be offering them for sale anymore. Not really a high volume part I assume.

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:46pm
Got any pics of the knob????
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
sbrian26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrian26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:58pm
I'll post pics\specs of the original knob and any replacement I find in case someone else with an old boat needs it :)
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 2:13pm
Want to say Tachyon (seller of the SDBM in the CCF store) use to offer a billet knob, call Rick there and he likely will know the thread size or call New Dimensions and see if they sell knobs or know the thread size.

Factory tower in 99' was a Gen1, the Gen2 came out in 2000, that is not to say the Gen2 did not end up on some 99's via factory or dealer. Either way your tower is not a Gen1.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 2:25pm
Duane, this is the factory knob:

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 6:34pm
How many? Can they be polished aluminum knobs with S/S studs?? They can be reproduced.    Let me know if I can help.   Also McMaster Carr may at least have the plastic piece.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
sbrian26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrian26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 7:23pm
Not sure yet but this (or similar looks applicable) I believe the fluted knob is also pretty easy to source as you mentioned. I suppose I'd have to go without the retaining ring or have machined. I'd likely just put a lock washer in front of the knob and be done with it.

Source Grainger - Shaft

Source Grainger - Knob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 8:00pm
Let me know if I can help.    Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic