Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trick ski options

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trick ski options
    Posted: August-12-2017 at 4:14pm
Trick skis appear to be very expensive. The only one I can find is the $650 Radar. Are there any cheaper options for trying it out?
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 4:26pm
always some on ebay. You say "trying it out?" You've never done it? I suppose you can start on one but a lot easier to learn on 2. Learn the basics like 180s 360s handle passes....Then move to one.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 6:09pm
Never trick skied. I get up on 1 slalom though, and I have been wakeboarding this year. Maybe the trick ski is more my speed. I don't know. Always want to try new things.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 6:41pm
To me, one trick ski is like standing on a bar of soap. I never got too far on them. 2 ski 180s, 360s, 2-ski backward start, drop a ski backwards. The next step was one ski turns. Could never do it and lost interest. Wasnt my favorite. If I stuck with it, I probably would have gotten it, but I wasnt compelled to put in well over 10o attempts over 2 years like I was for long line back deeps for barefoot. I think I like the speed element. Never excelled at wakeboarding either, and surfing I dont even have any interest in trying. Im not going to drop $140,000 (not that I could) to do a 10 MPH sport. I'm certainly not poo-pooing trick skis. As an "olds cool" guy I'm all for any of the original 3 event endeavors.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 8:12pm
My advice would be to get a real trick ski. The main players are D3, Quantum, and just recently Radar with the Gravitron. There is a HUGE difference between a "combo" pair of trick skis and an actual real trick ski. Keep an eye out on Ski-It-Again for one. It's important to get the right length based on your weight. A 43" is really what a full grown male would be riding on. They don't come up often because people hang on to them for a LONG time once they get them. You'll generally see only shorter ones for sale as kids grow up and move on to bigger ones. Mine is almost 10 years old and I bought it brand new. Incredible investment over that span of time. They also hold value like crazy.

I'd ditch the pair and go right to a single trick ski. I realize this will be unpopular advice but YMMV.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 8:30pm
When I was writing my comments, I was thinking there was someone on here who was going to poo-poo me because he never did two tricks, went right to one and did real well with it, but I couldnt remember who it was. Just came back to me, but like Joel said, YMMV.

While were on the topic, I've never skied in my life. I think I might want to give it a try, just to see if I like it. I guess if you can ski OK on an OK ski you can ski really good on a great ski, so I was thinking of going out and getting this one to learn on. What do y'all think?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 9:09pm
Thought I clicked on the PN forum for a minute The OP just posted the other day that he thought a boom was too expensive and now we're talking 700+ trick ski's ?? Just keep an eye on eBay etc for some, they will turn up. I don't think I paid more than 50 for a pair of Connelly's a few years ago.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 9:11pm
Larry I realize that your primarily a Barefootin guy and if you're gonna get into slalom skiing then that Connelly GT is a step in the right direction. I'm a RADAR guy myself so I'd suggest a Vapor Pro,...A little steep at $1800 blank but I figure if you don't like it or slalom skiing then I'll take it off your hands for half of what you paid for it. It is a used ski after all.

As far as trick skis go I think your suggestions are spot on and I might have to start looking myself. I guess these old Cypress Garden Trick skis I bought off a UGA ski team trick skier for $40 aren't any good.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 10:14pm
Ok, I'll bite. I started off by buying a pair of O'Brien Pro-Tracs years ago. Started on two briefly, then used one of those combos after that. About six YEARS later I finally got a real trick ski. SO. MUCH. EASIER. Had I gotten the real ski earlier I would have progressed more rapidly and easily. It's not a matter of getting "higher performance"/"hot shot" equipment "too early" with trick. It's about having the right tool for the job and half a recreational combo is not the right tool for the job. Same thing I'd say for a slalom skier. My advice to the OP is with the intent to help him save time and effort and get better faster. I work hard at this stuff so that's the perspective I'm coming from.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 10:24pm
Okay M3Fan I'll bite, what is the brand of the real trick ski? I had a pair of Kidder combo's years ago that finally broke, and would like to get something new to try,   But I haven't seen much out their that I wanted to try.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

Okay M3Fan I'll bite, what is the brand of the real trick ski? I had a pair of Kidder combo's years ago that finally broke, and would like to get something new to try,   But I haven't seen much out their that I wanted to try.

By "real trick ski" I mean any trick ski that is meant to be used as a single ski from the past 30 years or so, not half of a combo pair. Really anything from a 1985 Kidder Graphite to any modern day single trick ski. Any year D3 CustomX would be a great buy and is a de-facto standard. They made them for years and years. They don't come up for sale often used in bigger sizes, as I mentioned, but if you keep your eye out you might be able to find one.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thought I clicked on the PN forum for a minute The OP just posted the other day that he thought a boom was too expensive and now we're talking 700+ trick ski's ?? Just keep an eye on eBay etc for some, they will turn up. I don't think I paid more than 50 for a pair of Connelly's a few years ago.

Correct, and I am saying $650 is too expensive as well, especially since they don't include boots! Also, spending $500 on a boom that will be used rarely is different to me than a board/ski that would be used much more often, and by ME. Barefooting scares me, otherwise I would consider the boom.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be keeping my eye out. I wish I was better at spotting vintage deals. I have a 20 year old HO slalom 68" CDX-1 with high wraps - sometimes wish I had done something different. I was made fun of a bit when I did a slalom class last year. I've still never run an actual course, and I'm not in my 20s anymore, so it really doesn't matter.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Netdewt Netdewt wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Correct, and I am saying $650 is too expensive as well, especially since they don't include boots! Also, spending $500 on a boom that will be used rarely is different to me than a board/ski that would be used much more often, and by ME. Barefooting scares me, otherwise I would consider the boom.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be keeping my eye out. I wish I was better at spotting vintage deals. I have a 20 year old HO slalom 68" CDX-1 with high wraps - sometimes wish I had done something different. I was made fun of a bit when I did a slalom class last year. I've still never run an actual course, and I'm not in my 20s anymore, so it really doesn't matter.

Gary,
At least Nate's progressing from this stage:

I have been towing kids in the tube .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 12:21pm

I have a 20 year old HO slalom 68" CDX-1 with high wraps - sometimes wish I had done something different. I was made fun of a bit when I did a slalom class last year. I've still never run an actual course, and I'm not in my 20s anymore, so it really doesn't matter.

Exactly, Dont let them get to you. As CCF's crown prince of vintage equipment/cheap, when people rib me, I just laugh along with them. I've always been a proponent of not needing equipment that is 5 times better than I am. I recently posted this commentary on "another" site when someone posted the pic of this skier.

I've got a 41 year old boat that cost less than the speakers on a new wake boat, a free 20 year old ski, a $200 boom, $100 fly-hi, $75 barefoot suit, $75 dry suit, none of which, I dont think, have kept me from reaching my potential.

Disclaimer: I am not sayng that if you want to ride a slalom ski, you are perfectly fine with that ski with the rear toe from your 40 year old Cypress Gardens combo, you wont get anywhere with that, I am just saying you dont need pro equipment to be a weekend warrior, like I am.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 5:03pm
I like it. I appreciate the pep talk.

Kids still like tubing... :) but they are becoming more and more interested in ski/board sports. It took about a year and a half of encouragement and coaching to give them confidence and skills, but I now have an 8 and 9 year old skiing, wakeboarding, and kneeboarding. They are asking me to do it rather than pushing them!

M3Fan, or others, anyone know about this O'Brien? https://www.ebay.com/itm/272793876028
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 5:47pm

M3Fan, or others, anyone know about this O'Brien? https://www.ebay.com/itm/272793876028

That one looks like half of a combo pair to me.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 3:27am
I was recently shopping a set myself and found the same... 2 of my kids (10 and 11) were at a 2 week camp in middle of PA where waterskiing is an activity... mind you their gear is that of the 80s lol... daughter said Dad... I did a 180 on these weird looking skis and son said we were riding this boogieboard thing you can jump while kneeling on... like the thing in pappy's shed... It dawned on me they never lived in the 80s-90s... I toyed with idea of buying a set but like Joel feels... after two rides on some combos we would be looking for a decent trick or throw them in the garage next to the kneeboard from 1986.

I rode tricks twice and a single trick maybe 4 or 5 times cause we needed people to score points in tournaments. Just couldn't get into it. Unless you are taking to the next level, just not as appealing as footing or slalom to me. Wakeboarding or wake skating I can do now and again. That being said, it would be cool as hell if one of my kids picked it up and master it... just don't see that happening not living on a lake.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 11:44pm
Thanks. I'll just watch eBay and Ski it Again. There is a Kidder Redline on eBay now but it's a 42".
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 12:29am
M3Fan,

My 16 year old has been working on her trick skiing this summer with a $80.00 pair of Craig's List Combo / Slalom Trick Skis, EP's by Connelly. She is already able to get up on one and she is very early in her development of Trick Skiing. I agree with the points you have been making on this post. I am looking for a used D3, or Quantum in a 42" for her to move up to.

I feel that you have brought up some great points and it is what I have been seeing this summer play out with her. She kind of sort of got bored with Combo Trick Skiing and has moved to one trick ski (using the combo set). She also has been hanging out with some college skiers and this is the next step in progression.   

What I am trying to say, is I agree with your comments.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 12:34am
Netdewt,

One of the best investments I every made was in a used boom for the boat. I have taught so many kids and adults how to ski from the boom. Each year, I do a knee boarding event for the local foster kids from the four surrounding area counties. We have gotten many kids up on knee boards via this program and the boom.

It is a very fun thing to turn the kids on to the sport. The boom is the ticket in getting these kids addicted to the water and water sports. Once the kids could knee board, and ski, they never looked at tubing again.

Used booms come up on Craig's List and E-Bay all the time..

Donald
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 10:49am
Donald, where is Natalie in her trick ski progression?   Is she completing her 2 ski surface turns yet? Both 180s and both 360s? Just curious.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 11:32am
You can do surface turns on any old trick ski.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 11:50am
That's where I am heading with this. Not to dispute Joel, he is a lot better at this than I am, I am just putting my position out there for discussion purposes. If Natalie is not doing all her surface turns on two, I dont think she needs to be worrying about 1 ski or the quality of the ski - YET. Lots of people talk about "trick skiing" and get up and go straight on a pair of trick skis. I am kind of amused at a lot of gatherings, everyone gets all excited about multi man "trick ski" runs, that amount to nothing more than forward combo runs. I have yet to see anyone turn around. (tho I know a few folks here that can and do). Riding forward on trick skis (or ski) is not trick skiing....it is skiing,,,just on a kind of slippery ski. I know Natalie is working on her slalom skiing, but I dont think she is starting out on a $1500 ski 34 mph and 38 off. I think she is probably working toward that goal. Trick skiing is no different. It is a process, might as well go in order.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Donald, where is Natalie in her trick ski progression?   Is she completing her 2 ski surface turns yet? Both 180s and both 360s? Just curious.

Larry,

She can do 180's at will. She can also do 360's but not at will yet. She may hit it one out of four times or so. She just so busy with other stuff we have not been hitting it hard lately. we will tomorrow AM.

My tubing is improving.

Donald
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 3:16pm
Well that sounds good. Maybe it is getting close to time to move on. Feel free to ignore my rant.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 5:22pm

Trick skis appear to be very expensive. The only one I can find is the $650 Radar. Are there any cheaper options for trying it out?

Try ski It again .com

We go through. about one trick ski a year. Stephen just second placed at nat's in M2 trick and my daughter was 3rd overall W2.
Stephen rides a 44" masterline hard edge while Monica rides 43" soft edge D3. Stephen gave up his toe pass about 5 years ago and now does two high end hand passes. Monica still utilizes a hand and toe pass.
wish I had something to pass on unfortunately these skis are pretty br0ken and used up by the time these two need new one's
You all think trick skis are expensive try purchasing a pair of new 90" jump skis.   
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2017 at 6:41pm

I know Natalie is working on her slalom skiing, but I dont think she is starting out on a $1500 ski 34 mph and 38 off.

Larry,

Natalie is skiing 25 mph and 15 off and getting all six balls (not mini course). We got a smoking deal on a 2016 women's new HO CX, 65", new bindings with help from Eddie with HO at the Nautique Swerving Weekends. Better than any other deal then I could find elsewhere.

Donald .

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 2:31pm
I have to agree with the points above but the determining factor is where he wants to take his skiing.

To Joel's point, if your goal is to progress quickly, learn 4-5 new tricks next summer and run a "trick Pass" then by all means buy a higher end ski either used or new. We have a young kid at the lake who struggled to ride a single combo trick around the lake and never completed a surface 180. Put him on a used Connelly and learned 4 new tricks in about a week. The ski was purchased at a tournament from an older, very decorated tournament skier for $50.00. Good investment if you ask me.

To Larry's point, if you want something fun to ride then search eBay. I still ride my EP-360's in tournaments but I'm just out there to have fun. Not much desire (yet) to get serious about trick.

The whole "new vs old" conversation is really interesting but it's really up to the personal goals of the skier. I really struggled to progress in the course for the last 4-5 years. After getting some coaching from Chris Parrish and changing my technique things started to take-off. My theory was to straighten out the guy riding the ski first, then add a new ski if I decided to stick with it.   Last year I purchased my first new tournament ski and have made huge strides.

Point is - my goal was to be competitive in local tournaments so the investment is worth it for me. It's certainly helped me get to my max speed and shorten the rope.

If someone wants to free-ski or ride a lap around a cove/lake one a week then buy something used for a lot less $$$....more money for beer and gas.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 3:28pm

I am kind of amused at a lot of gatherings, everyone gets all excited about multi man "trick ski" runs, that amount to nothing more than forward combo runs. I have yet to see anyone turn around. (tho I know a few folks here that can and do). .

No offense larry you don't come to many gatherings, and when you do you typically stay the one day mid day when the water is blown out and people are wasting time.   Ive seen multiple runs at gatherings where everyone was backards at least a time or two and more than one people deep started that way - judging other peoples skill levels or interest by a mid day multiple run where everyone had a beer stuffed in their vest would be a classic case of undersampling.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 3:41pm
Any ski with rails will track straight.
Any ski with a hard edge will cut.
Ankle support will yield the most improvement in control.

I don't think anyone is saying buying a competition trick ski is a bad idea where as in slalom it will hinder you. 180s and 360s aren't even scratching the surface of real trick ski potential. A crappy ski with a good binding will get you pretty far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic