NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trick ski options

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 2:06pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

The whole "new vs old" conversation is really interesting but it's really up to the personal goals of the skier. I really struggled to progress in the course for the last 4-5 years. After getting some coaching from Chris Parrish and changing my technique things started to take-off. My theory was to straighten out the guy riding the ski first, then add a new ski if I decided to stick with it.   Last year I purchased my first new tournament ski and have made huge strides.

Point is - my goal was to be competitive in local tournaments so the investment is worth it for me. It's certainly helped me get to my max speed and shorten the rope.

If someone wants to free-ski or ride a lap around a cove/lake one a week then buy something used for a lot less $$$....more money for beer and gas.

Well put. My theory with slalom skis these days is that as soon as you start to get serious in the course you need to get on the best new or used ski you can afford. Slalom ski price structure is more about cost to build at small quantities vs. "skill level" these days. E.g. it costs a grand to make a new Goode. They sell for two grand. They take 2 weeks to make by hand. You will see them under ALL levels of course skiers. D3 has 7 employees. Each ski is made by hand in the US. They are expensive. They don't make cheap skis, they make GREAT skis for all levels. And so on. It's like buying a nice guitar or a nice trap gun or a nice car. There is no downside. If my kid got into guitar I'd give them a nice guitar ASAP. They wouldn't be banging around on some Sears Harmony guitar very long.

My wife struggled in the course on several "mid level" skis until she got a used 2015 Lithium Vapor (~350 bucks maybe but 1400 new) and saw immediate improvement. Runs the course like crazy now and loves every minute of it. I see this repeatedly.

We live in AMAZING time to be a course skier equipment-wise. Anything within the last 5-7 years is going to be much easier to ride and learn the course on for ALL skill levels. Ditch the CDX, the Phantom, the Truth, and the Monza, etc. as well as any other crap from that era. These were finnicky old fiber+carbon with aluminum top skis that maybe did require an expert to ride (?) but won't help anyone at any level these days. Make them into a dock chair and be done with it. You won't see ANY kids at tournaments with garage sale-level equipment or fiberglass skis even if they are skiing 15 of at 24.9mph. They will be on something graphite and probably have a hardshell binding (gasp).

There really is no valid argument that old outdated equipment is fine at any level approaching serious-about-the-sport these days. The new-ish stuff is just too good.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 2:41pm
Someone probably said the same thing about the 20# EP comp plastic skis from like 1980.

It didn't take god given talent or expert status to slalom ski 10 years ago. Everything changes except how hard and long you work at it.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Any ski with rails will track straight.
Any ski with a hard edge will cut.
Ankle support will yield the most improvement in control.

I don't think anyone is saying buying a competition trick ski is a bad idea where as in slalom it will hinder you. 180s and 360s aren't even scratching the surface of real trick ski potential. A crappy ski with a good binding will get you pretty far.

Completely agree....I just can't get myself to replace those super sweet adjustable bindings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic