Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atom Skier
    Posted: August-14-2017 at 12:04am
Went out to borrow a tool and came home with this beauty, Im thinking its an Atom or Aqua skier. Can anyone assist me in identifying this boat? Been looking in the references and thats what I came up with. Thanks!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 12:14am
Did they have a HIN number way back then?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 6:04am
Brian,
My first thought was the boat is a CC Jr. and an Aqua is a second thought. It's not an Atom. By the looks of the dog house with the raised port side top, I'd say it has or had a Gray Fireball 4-90. The engine has twin down draft carbs that stick above the top of the basic block. What's in it? No HIN's back then. Look for a serial # plate. On a stringer next to the engine, inside the dog house or on a forward port side hull side frame. Nice find!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 9:52am
interesting, Ill check of that today. Thanks Pete
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 9:57am
Did the juniors have a ski pylon?
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 11:05am
Good question on what engine is in there. Do you think the dog house is original and if so I'll never worry again about having a bump up for a down draft carb. Our 1950 junior has no pylon. Wondering also what the length is. By the looks of the steering wheel it is from the 50's. Looks like the hull plywood may be sound. Is the top deck 1/4 in ply or 3/8? Seems to be devoid of a routed detail on the top deck as well.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Brian82683 Brian82683 wrote:

Went out to borrow a tool and came home with this beauty,

how in the world do you explain that to your wife?     sweet boat though, it will look really pretty when its all dressed up again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Good question on what engine is in there. Do you think the dog house is original and if so I'll never worry again about having a bump up for a down draft carb. Our 1950 junior has no pylon. Wondering also what the length is. By the looks of the steering wheel it is from the 50's. Looks like the hull plywood may be sound. Is the top deck 1/4 in ply or 3/8? Seems to be devoid of a routed detail on the top deck as well.

Jack,
Pylons back then were all optional on the small CC hulls. Here's the price sheet that shows the 4-90 available in the Jr. So, the bump out on the top of the dog house would be original. Yours no!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 7:19pm
The boat is 15'6" and here are some engine pics
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 10:14pm
That's her Pete. Same as our Jr Utility engine except with the downdraft carb setups. Guess that's how they gained the HP. I believe ours is 15ft 6in also. I am surprised to see the stem area looks a s good as it does. Alan can attest to there being not much integrity there usually. Down along the chine specially near the drivers seat there may likely be problems also. Ours led to a pretty complete rebuild of many areas and new hull material. I think the deck on ours may be original and it is 3/8 ply. Still in reasonable shape. It becomes a labor of love and can stretch over many years LOL. I think many camps in the New Hampshire and Maine area had a few of these boats for campers use and they seem to show up with some frequency. Ours came from West Ossipee, NH.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 10:17pm
The best part was, when I turned down out street she was on her way home and was behind me...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 10:17pm
Brian,
That's the Gray Fireball 4-90 and I'd say is the original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

That's her Pete. Same as our Jr Utility engine except with the downdraft carb setups. Guess that's how they gained the HP. .

Jack,
The Fireballs also had light weight flywheels and the HP was rated at about 800 extra RPM's at the "red line". BTW, I understand the 4-90 also didn't come with a warrantee!.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 10:42pm
Sounds like they use to overrev them and a few blew up. The 4 75 will be just fine thankyou. Brian the boat is sweet. We were pleased to get ours and I think it will be more fun to operate than many of our others when it's more about the ride then water sports. We saw a little flathead 4 where we were yesterday and I was cool to hear just zipping through the water.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 11:45pm
Yea I'm looking forward to starting it this winter, or tomorrow...lol. so is it definitely a junior? or possibly an aqua skier, what are the differences in the two boats?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 7:55am
Brian,
Any luck finding the ID/serial # plate? It would confirm the model but it's a CC Jr.

I just noticed the ballast resistor indicating the PO was running on a 12 volt battery. Is there a battery in it? Have you tried cranking the engine over?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 7:39pm
the only plate I could find was on the tranny Ill post a pic soon. Other then that I couldn't find one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 7:46pm

the only plate I could find was on the tranny Ill post a pic soon. Other then that I couldn't find one.

Brian,
That's not the ID plate for the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 7:49pm
I realize that, where are they generally located, Maybe I'm not looking hard enough
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 8:50pm

where are they generally located, Maybe I'm not looking hard enough

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brian,
No HIN's back then. Look for a serial # plate. On a stringer next to the engine, inside the dog house or on a forward port side hull side frame.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 9:12pm
I just checked both stringers front to back, nothing....So for now we can call it a 1954 CC Jr. I agree, a very cool find. Hopefully I can do her well, have some research to do on where to even begin ....

no seriously where do you begin on this, someone apparently beat me to the restore and sistered some plywood on the ribs...but then left it outside long enough to rot them out.

The port side stringer under the passenger side of the bench seat has a crack in it....the stringers over all look alright considering.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 9:15pm
A few more from when I started to dismantle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 9:21pm
The plywood gussets at the knees and keel are original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 9:24pm
good to know thanks! thoughts on that stringer?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 8:43am
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 10:31am
Hey Brian,

Do you have any back story on the boat? What town/lake did you find it?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 10:48am
My earlier post seems to have disappeared. I was saying that watching this thread is like a walk down memory lane. Probably need to remove the plywood skins to do the repairs. I had many pictures on my topic but Photobucket ruined some of that. It's been four years since we started ours but only work on it at times.
I have posted the Gray Marine serial numbers. This should help you Brian to determine the year of the boat.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 12:56pm
No story at all, Im looking in to that though. I found it in a wooded lot and brought it home. Got stung by wasps and had to deal with my wife lol
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 1:10pm
Anybody familiar with the Atom enough to know if that sole (floor) is original, I always thought they were plywood...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Anybody familiar with the Atom enough to know if that sole (floor) is original, I always thought they were plywood...

Steve,
Yes, plywood is original. The PO of Brian's Jr. did some back yard work on the forward end with looks like T&G Fir porch flooring!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic