NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pesky Ski boats

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pesky Ski boats
    Posted: August-15-2017 at 7:33pm
So last night a buddy called to take me up on my offer to go fishing (I actually wondered if I would ever use the Bass for it's intended purpose...). So I loaded up the Bass and off we went. Beautiful night, very little wind, nice flat water. Boat ran beautiful, we rode it around looking at a few spots before settling in to fish. Trolling motor ran good. Cracked a beer and really enjoyed the night.

UNTIL - some guy in a boat called a Malibu goes tearing back and forth, roaring up one side of the lake, turns around comes roaring back. I don't know what they were trolling for, they went so fast and they were using humans for bait. It was VERY loud, annoying and a lot of waves!

I know Pics or it didn't happen,

I even caught a fish!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 7:36pm
Nice fish Steve. Is that all they have in those southern Wi. swamps they call lakes? BTW, thankfully that ski boat had the "M" word on it and not one of ours!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 8:28pm
Further south that's called bait
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 8:59pm
Nice!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 9:09pm
I've always wondered if you were hiding fish poles when you were using it as a barefoot outboard.    Mystery solved.
Keep it....from sinkin'
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 9:41pm
Funny story, I also posted on facebook and one of the racers at Blarney's Island posted that his buddy wondered what was up when he heard something "Snotty". Its a good description of how this motor sounds and apparently I was the one making all the noise - HA! The water was so smooth it was good to see at least one crew out enjoying the smooth water skiing it up, and they were actually no where near us. GREAT night on the lake!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 10:15pm
Steve, what are you running on the back of that FN? Mercury? XR?
That thing probably drives nice. Never driven one. Used to be in the Bass Boat business years back.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 10:22pm
Yeah, probably more like....

At least if it was on my lake.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Steve, what are you running on the back of that FN? Mercury? XR?
That thing probably drives nice. Never driven one. Used to be in the Bass Boat business years back.

Jim - that is probably what I SHOULD be running - that would make a real nice package. Boat came with an really tired Merc Black Max 135 (2.0 litre). I have since upgraded to Racing OffShore EFI 2.4 Litre, it might also have received some high compression heads and some larger pistons when I rebuilt it last summer, but the stickers on the cowl still say 135...

It drives really nice to about 70 mph where it promptly begins to chine walk like nobody's business. All though last night we must have hit 75 (because that's the speed on the highway when the door on the live well opens up), so loaded for fishing (2 trolling batteries, trolling motor and gear) and two guys, really counters the engine torque apparently - no GPS running so who knows really how fast. Much slower out of the hole with all that weight too.

Anytime you want to drive it let me know.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 11:27pm
Somebody has some photoshop skills!

Larry if we had a lake that looked like that anywhere near me, I never would have took up barefooting, consequently never would have broke my neck and then of course never would have bought this Bass Nautique - ok, well maybe not that last part, I alway sort of have had a thing for the BN...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 12:00am
Steve sorry I mistakenly referred to the Bass Nautique as FN above (had fish on the brain).
That is a fast motor. Most bass boats will chine walk above 70. And there are those who can drive them above that speed. I am not one of them.
Don't worry about going above 70....it is fast enough!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 10:10am
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Steve sorry I mistakenly referred to the Bass Nautique as FN above (had fish on the brain).

Ha, that is silly, no need to apologize, we all knew what you meant. Some day I would like to have a FN too. So many boats, so little time...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic