NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 SN GT40 Refurb questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95 SN GT40 Refurb questions
    Posted: August-16-2017 at 2:08am
Hi, new to the forum and to Correct Craft. Just purchased a 95 SN which runs and drives well, but let's just say the previous owners weren't too concerned about cleanliness or proper repairs. She is quite dirty, inside and out with quite a few battle scars. Though the interior (vinyl only) has been replaced sometime in the last year or two, it appears they rarely, if ever, wiped the boat down and the new vinyl has mildew stains everywhere. This would be question #1 ... what is your experience with products or home brewed remedies for getting it clean again.

Second, gel coat, of course. As with the interior, the gel coat wasn't taken care of very well either. Again, never a towel dry and I have a sneaking suspicion that she spent a lot of time propped up in the side yard under a tree. Without a cover. As evidenced by a bunch of leaves I have cleaned out already from every crevice you can imagine. While the gel coat isn't terrible, it has lost a noticeable amount of it's shine and there are a few areas that look fairly dull. I know vinegar water will cut through the water spots, but what might your suggestions be for buffing, polishing and wax.   I will also need to fill in a few deep scratches so any insight on a brand of gel coat patch would be appreciated.

Finally, the mechanical and electrical. Wow. Don't know what else to say. While she runs, one look and the fuse/ breaker area and under the engine cover and just about anyone would be asking HOW???   The phrase "rats nest" comes to mind. Needless to say this winter will be filled with many projects. But the wiring has got to go ,,, it's really one of my biggest pet peeves. Nice, logical and orderly bundles. My OCD, I suppose.
Anyway, my first question here is if anyone knows what the 3rd wire into the battery compartment is?   It's a large wire, perhaps 4 ga, and has an inline "time delay" fuse, as is printed on the fuse. It was disconnected when I picked up the boat and I asked the guy what it is/ was and he really didn't know either other than to say it wasn't needed any more, part of some old system or something that CC had gotten rid of several years before ... or so he was told when he bought the boat.

Well, that's it for now, though I'm sure I will be returning often.   ANY help or guidance with any or all of these would be greatly appreciated!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 4:46am
I also have a 95 Ski Nautique so Welcome Aboard.
First, you get no creds without providing PICTURES.   Hey we have to start somewhere.
I have fought a mold issue before successfully but it is a mess to do.
You will get several more ideas but hit your local Walmart and buy a large bottle of Murphy's oil soap.   This stuff has been around nearly 100 years and still works well on seats and saddles. It leaves them soft and supple and you don't even have to wash it off when done. I have tried many products but this does the job the best in my limited opinion. Wash all your upholstery well with this stuff and wash it into your seams where all the sewing has been done to keep your seats in one piece. This stuff does not age the threads. It is cheap, a couple capfuls in a quart of water will wipe down your entire interior.
This will get off most of the dirt and some of the mold. Now you can see what you need to work on.
The next step is dangerous to the interior and your skin and lungs.
To get the mold out of my boat I mixed a strong mix of bleach and water.   Maybe a cupful in a half gallon of water. I wet a small rag, wring it out till it does not drip. Any Drips will stain or bleach your carpets. Put down protection. Old Towels etc.   Protect your hands, they will burn if exposed to this stuff.   Have another bucket right there with clean water in it and another rag.
Wipe down a small area with the bleach solution. Let it work a minute or two then wash off with the water rag. Assess the progress and if needed do it again. Some area's will clean right up with one application. Some take several applications.   Totally Avoid all of the seams and threads. The bleach will cause them to fail in a short time.
I used a scrub pad on some really bad areas to get into the pattern on the seats.
Once you are happy with the appearance of the small area wash it down with the plain water and then Murphy's oil soap solution again. It will help keep your interior soft. Work the Murphy's solution into the threads really well.
I think I had another container with water and baking powder in it to neutralize the bleach before the final Water wash and then the Murphy's wash.
Bleach is bad if you don't remove or neutralize it will keep burning.
Bleach is very dangerous, you can't breath the fumes it will damage your lungs so work outside or use a fan.   If you spill the bleach everything it touches will be toast.   Same if it gets on your clothes. Don't mix Bleach and cleanser like comet or ajax, it makes an gas that can and will kill people. Many have made that mistake.
I started with a small area when I cleaned my boat. Did not plan to do much more. It was working well so I did another small area. Suddenly my hand started itching then burning.
I had a minor burn on my skin. Had to use good gloves for the rest of our job.,
My hands peeled like a sun burn a few days later.

We had to put our boat outside to do a home project a couple years ago. When the project was done I pulled the boat in the garage and almost cried when I opened the cover and discovered it had leaked and the entire interior was molded badly. It was gross.   I was thinking full interior replacement at first.   Started cleaning and it kept getting better.   3 years later that same interior looks very good. I have two or three areas that show shadows or discolor where the mold was really bad but in general it looks almost brand new.   I wipe it down with Murphy's oil soap and water a couple times per year and it feels soft like new still.
I read all I could find about Mold removal before doing the job in my boat. Almost all the products I found commercially use bleach as the active mold fighter so I went with my plan as described.   Go with gloves, be careful, ventilate and you might save your interior also.
I should be able to find pictures of my before and after but it may take a while. My phone fell in the lake over the weekend with most my pictures in it.   I may have posted the pictures already on this forum but that was 3 years ago, I don't remember.
I should mention that although successful I bet I had 30 hours into this salvage job.
Less than $10 in cost but 30 hours!

I believe the second power wire you refer to is the main power to your Dashboard fuses.
This is where most the power to your boat comes from other than starting power.

I hope you get this sorted out.
Mark
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 10:24am
You could try some babes seat soap for a non-toxic option. I've had good luck removing light moldy spots. On the site it says to leave it sit 30 seconds before wiping off for heavier spots. You could use the babes first, to see what your working with before moving to the harsher options http://babesboats.com

That disconnected wire likely used to be for the engine ECM. If you poke around this site, you'll find that the fuse setup was found to be unreliable and there were workaround fixes. So, the remaining wire and fuse was probably just left there.

As far as the rats nest of wires, if it's running, I'd be leary of just tearing it out. You can't get any sort of readymade harness for the gt-40 that I know of. You may wish to go wire by wire until you have a strong sense of what goes to what.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 10:30am
If that wire is disconnected and everything is working then the Pleasurecraft TSB has been completed. Too early to remember think it was the ECM feed. Several threads from the past about sanding and buffing the gel you'll just need to do a search, do that before you repair the gel color may change
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 10:33am
Hi MrMcD and thanks for the reply - lots of great info on the interior. Friends and family think I'm a bit too obsessive about "the little things". Well, each to their own, but I'll just say I really hate to ride in any of their vehicles. My boats, on the other hand, I've always taken to another level entirely. Those same people would joke they hated to ride in my boats because I was SO picky about keeping everything so clean, neat and orderly LOL.

Anyway, I was planning on posting some pics after I got her cleaned up a bit. It's still going to be a before and after kind of thing since there is a lot to do to get the boat as clean and "new" as I would like. But honestly, I just couldn't bring myself to post any pics of her in the condition she was. Perhaps I'll post a few tonight of the current condition, Still, folks will have to look past the trailer as It's in poor shape as well and may be one of the last projects I tackle.

Last night was spent removing all of the interior panels to deep clean behind and make it easier to clean the vinyl. Good thing too, as I found that when the interior was replaced they only put about half the mounting nuts back on, thus explaining why they seemed to flop around more than I thought they should. I also discovered that there are indirect mood lights behind the panels, none of which work of course (add that to the list) and of course the storage for the anchor light, which I assumed was missing since neither I nor the former owner could find before. Actually, I'm not sure anyone has ever used it or even knew of its existence - looks like it had been up there for 20 years.

3rd wire? Hmm. could explain why a lot of the switches wouldn't work. Strangely though, a couple do. Yet another thing to investigate and fix.

Again thanks for your reply, hopefully I can get more to chime in with some further insight and personal experiences.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 4:26pm
Glad your making progress.   The 3rd wire answer was a guess on my part so go with our more experienced guys for the answer. Sorry to mislead.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 6:00pm
Christines only recomends using Dawn dish washing soap. The sell a soft brush you can put on a drill to deep clean the pores of the seat. Look at Christines web site for things they recommend not to use. Also order lots of 303 protectant. Good luck.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 6:47pm
Like Gary said the third wire is for the ECM if it runs without it it has been updated.
Some of the accessory switches may not be wired to anything, they would accommodate
optional equipment installed at the factory.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 6:56pm
Please post before pictures too,it's always fun to look at before and after pictures! And if you ever find a wiring diagram for a 95 please post that too!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Like Gary said the third wife is for the ECM if it runs without it it has been updated.

Oh no Paul I never said anything about a third wife- sounds like trouble to me........
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 11:34pm
Damn auto complete.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 3:16am
Hi everyone and thanks for all the info. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, just real busy with work, and of course work on the boat.

After reading so many posts about the 3rd wire I investigated more thoroughly and discovered a matching snipped wire in the engine compartment, along with several others that I'll likely need help identifying later. A few fairly stern tugs did reveal that it was in fact that wire. Snipping both ends and tossing that mess overboard was at least a start.

Went over the entire hull with vinegar water to take off as much of the water spots as I could and it already looks much better. Later when I have more time I'll get out the wet sanding paper and buffer. But for now, the rest of the season is beckoning me to cut up some water first LOL.   

Also scrubbed with vinyl cleaner, then Murphy's trying to clean the interior. Vinyl cleaner, not much. Murphy's, a bit better but still not really touching those pesky mildew spots and stains in the creases and bottom sides of panels.   Well, I suppose it's time to break out the plastic, rubber gloves and a fan to move the air and try the ol' bleach water trick. I removed the rear seat and backrest and both side panels to reduce the risk of dripping on the carpet then tried the center removable seat bottom first, just in case... it would be the easiest to recover if something went wrong. WOW, cut through that mildew quickly and after washing off the residue it looks like new once again.   It took 4 1/2 hours to complete the entire job, but well worth it!

I know everyone wants pics, so I'll do my best. First time posting pics on a new forum is always a new adventure since it seems every forum has a different way of doing things.

Interior, before. This is what was literally all over the vinyl:

And after ....

I don't really have a good "before" pic of the exterior, but here she is in the garage after the 2 hours of scrubbing with vinegar water:
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 4:56am
Wow, your boat is coming back to life. The seat bottoms look great.
Welcome to team Red. That will be a great boat when you get it sorted out.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 1:01am
Ok folks, update to the ongoing repairs, updates and such. After a somewhat disappointing Saturday last week where a coolant hose burst not 5 minutes into the day, I got the boat back home and decided that kind of surprise wasn't really welcome a second time.   So I went ahead with the plans to gut the electrical mess inside and under the dash and start from scratch. Well, it's still a work in progress in that I WAS going to make custom carbon fiber switch panels from some old stock I had in the basement. But that stock seems to have vanished (Actually, I think it got lost in my son's garage) and was forced to temporarily reuse the [ nasty ] existing panels, so you'll just have to imagine the new carbon fiber panels. But it's been a very busy week. And then to come home and spending till midnight and one o'clock every night to get it finished by tonight ..... but I did indeed get nearly everything on my list accomplished, sans rewiring the trailer and replacing all the broken marker lights with LED's.

New switch panel, moved to the right of the steering wheel
Added depth sounder with air and water temp
New deck lights
New ski hold lights
Added second battery, battery switch and fuse block
Cleaned and repainted the engine
New blower and bilge pump

Need to replace all of the gauges before next season as well as finishing the dash with carbon fiber panels. I think first up after the panels though is going to be the sound system. One of the previous owners removed the stereo - I guess it didn't work - and when the interior was redone they mad all new panels from composite and didn't cut out for any speakers.   So, that brings up another question for you guys. Other than the one speaker hole at my feet ( of all places) where has everyone been cutting in their speakers? I plan to start with just 4, with more to be added to a tower when I purchase one.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 6:33am
Nice work. If you feel in behind the combing pads there should be factory cutouts that you could use for speakers. At least there was in my 2001 SAN. Rather than cutting the vinyl I mounted them behind the pads on each side.

D.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 11:27pm
Thanks for the reply D.   Problem is all the upholstery frames were replaced with new composite copies, sans the holes. So, it seems I'm free to cut where ever I choose.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 6:35am
Pics of the OEM speaker mount locations. Passenger side Front and Rear speakers both sides of the rear seat. 1995 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic