NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Am I crazy or is my neighbor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ETALLEN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETALLEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I crazy or is my neighbor
    Posted: August-16-2017 at 11:50am
So my hunt for a 16' Correct Craft seems like it is soon to be over. A fellow member has offered to sell me his 79 ski tique. Boat looks complete and through the video sent the stringers appear to be in decent condition and I plan to pickup the vessel mid September, worse case scenario first weekend of October. I had assumed that I would plan on just ripping out the floor, motor, foam and stringers and start over
After being guilted into helping the new neighbors install 3 french door units ( helping meaning I did all the work they held tools and brought beer) I find out the husband is part owner of a boat repair shop that specializes in restoration of older fiberglass ski boats. So he views the video and tells me the stringers sound really good and recommends once the boat is back home to drill some 1 3/4" inspection holes through the fiberglass in the sides of the stringers every 10-15". If everything looks good drill down into the stringers and cpes the crap out of it, pulling the foam and reglassing the inspection holes . Says his pristine 2001 was done the same way 9 years ago without any issues.
I'm not one for cutting corners but what are the chances a 79 has decent stringers? if they are wet/waterlogged what are the chances they will dry out without rotting later on down the line. It all just sounds to good to be true.
Sense I don't have the boat yet I'm just preparing myself with options and knowledge
the final price is always cheaper when the beer is free
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 12:17pm
Ethan,
Its really going to depend if the boat was used, how hard, where it was stored, etc etc.
How many hours are on it? Its not to say you couldn't find a boat with perfect stringers, but a boat that old will certainly be suspect of wet foam and subsequent stringer damage if used as it was intended to be...
You really have to get into it and do the investigative work before making a plan.
And no, the foam once saturated will not typically dry in time, and the more water logged the foam is, the more stringer issues you'll usually see... They go hand in hand.
Good, luck.. Of course pics here are always great, we can see what you have there.. Sounds like you'll give the boat the proper attention. Great to hear...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

ETALLEN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETALLEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 12:48pm
The floor and foam is definitely coming out either way. The neighbor also recommended issuing the rubber flashing that is installed as a shower base before and then sealing then adding in new foam. Anyone heard of this concept?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 1:02pm
Nope... All I see there is more trapped moisture... Water is going to come into the boat, it has to have a clear way out to the bilge/drain.. No liner, just rebuild to factory specs and go boating..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

ETALLEN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETALLEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 1:20pm
Kinda what I was thinking. Maybe a PVC weep hole leading to the bilge that could be plugged or 2 extra transom drains is floating around in my head. Do you see a problem going back with 1/2" marine grade ply floor epoxied both sides cut to fit thar are removable? Or am I reinventing the wheel?
Also I plan on using some 10/4x14"x16' sapele or 2x12x18 Sitka spruce that I had left over from a few radius staircase jobs in the past. Sapele is a little bit heavier than the Douglas fir but it seems to have a better rot resistance from my experience. I tend to be a hoarder when it comes decent lumber. Both are kiln dried and have been sitting in our oven room at work for years( 20'x2' oven to make radius pvc exterior trim). It's been properly stored and with some light work will be straighter than any Douglas fir I've ever seen
ETALLEN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETALLEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 2:32pm
One other thing, when i did my last stringer job on my mustang i used a concrete grinder shield called a Dustbuddie. Im not affiliated with the product in any way outside of owning one personally and one through work. The one i have will take up to a 5" grinding wheel and is adjustable for height, but a 7" is available for the same price. Its clear plastic so you have the ability to see whats going on and the front edge is removable to get into tight places.   But what really sold me was the vac attachment and the bristle bushes that keep crap from being kicked up. They say it collects 99% of concrete dust, In my dealing i would have to say that it captures at least 90% of fiberglass dust.
I had not noticed anyone talking about it in their stringer repair posts so i thought id throw it out there.

http://www.dustlesstools.com/productdetails/D1850/GrindingShrouds.php
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic