Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On golden pond boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On golden pond boat
    Posted: August-21-2017 at 1:58pm
While looking for something else, I found this:

I didn't know anything about inboards or classics when I saw the movie. It's an interesting back story too. They used 3 boats, one a Chris Craft for the boat crash scene.
No wonder the kid was having such a blast tearing all over the lake by himself.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:05am
I always wondered what the connection to that name .Katherine Hepburn was in the movie. and when she was in her role in the African queen 30 yrs before it was her last name   I wonder if she somehow named the boat in on golden pond
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:43am
Wow... I remember seeing that movie as a 6 year old... till this day, I can't watch the seen when Chelsea rams that Chris Craft into that rock!

While training my young children to drive the boat, I am FANATICAL about making sure their elbow is planted on the gunnel when rolling on and off throttle. They blow it off as Dad is crazy... We are watching this tonight... well, I might have to turn away right before impact;)

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:55am
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Wow..till this day, I can't watch the seen when Chelsea rams that Chris Craft into that rock!

Thought Billy hit the rock
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 12:09pm
Again... I had a hard time following that movie knowing the damage that boat was about to take!

And that is right... Norman called Billy Chelsea...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 12:09pm
This will probably answer the question of "who hit the rock?"

link
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 12:23pm
AHHHHHHH WTF are you taking that inboard into that bolder invested area anyway Norman! You got what you deserved!

Yeah... Billy was at the helm, Billy was Chelsea's (Jane Fonda's son)... I guess pap thought he looked like his daughter enough to accidentally call him Chelsea few times...
tchapin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tchapin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 4:52pm
just watched that movie again last month.   Interesting on the clip above. go to 132 (just before the boat hits the rock).   The old CC develops the hole in the bow and below the water line before the it hits the rocks..

Maybe they didn't trash up an old woody after all. Some good ole movie special effects.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by tchapin tchapin wrote:

just watched that movie again last month.   Interesting on the clip above. go to 132 (just before the boat hits the rock).   The old CC develops the hole in the bow and below the water line before the it hits the rocks..

Maybe they didn't trash up an old woody after all. Some good ole movie special effects.
]

They blew a hole with explosives due to ramming it into the rock multiple times without success of crashing and sinking it.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I always wondered what the connection to that name .Katherine Hepburn was in the movie. and when she was in her role in the African queen 30 yrs before it was her last name   I wonder if she somehow named the boat in on golden pond

Her last name in the movie was Thayer. Sound like I'm lisping
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 7:39pm
They actually were three nearly identical boats that they used in the movie, one was the "Crash" boat and the other two were used in general filming.
There was a big story on Woodyboater.com a few years ago when Thayer IV and the mail boat 'Mariah" in front of it were found and restored. Lots of work went into verifying the authenticity of the boats. If I recall correctly there may have been a fourth boat purchased and dressed up for the movie but was never actually used in filming.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 8:02pm
You and I was the same documentary. I was actually there on Squam just after filming. Big deal up there and changed the lake forever. The actual cash was on Winnie.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:18pm
Can you imagine the horror Jane Fonda's brother went thru at roll-call in grade school ?
Keep it....from sinkin'
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Bakchose Bakchose wrote:

Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Her last name in the movie was Thayer. Sound like I'm lisping

So their last name in on golden pond was Thayer and her last name was Thayer in the African Queen . odd.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 10:02am
What's really odd is that they were spelled differently and pronounced differently too.

Unless you have quite a lisp like Bakchose mentioned

Thayer in On Golden Pond

Sayer in The African Queen
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 10:34am
I was quoting a line in the movie that Henry Fonda said "Ethel Thayer. Sounds like I'm lisping."
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:25pm
oh it was sayer? damn no wonder i fail jeopardy auditions
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 11:05pm
The Thayer IV and Charlie's Mail boat are at Katz's Marina on Lake Hopatcong in New Jersey (at least they were a couple years ago). They are beautifully restored and sitting in their showroom.

Norman was a dead ringer for my grandad in looks and temperament - my hero that taught me to boat and ski.

funtones55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funtones55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2017 at 11:32pm
Nice boat!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2017 at 9:23am
If I recall correctly George Johnson who lived in Wolfeboro NH had involvement with the movie and the boats. Sue and I met George while sourcing parts and pieces for our '56.
George was a great guy who had quite a collection
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2017 at 10:52am
Wolfeboro NH. Quite a little boating Mecca. 13 years ago, I drove up to Wolfeboro and my Tique followed me home. The guy I bought it from also had an Al Tyll for sale. He had this boat

that he showed me in his garage along with a vintage hydroplane. He is involved with both the antique boat museum there and the Vintage Race Boat Shop I had always hoped to make it back up to the every two year vintage boat regatta they do there, but never made it up. Shaun obviously had great taste in boats.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic