Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the best type of Teak Restorer.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
H1seller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H1seller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best type of Teak Restorer.
    Posted: July-15-2006 at 12:30am
I see so many Teak restorer products, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel trying to pick one.    First off the teak on my boat is gray and looks dingy and dried out the structure is fine. I used one ten years ago that worked well. It came in 2 parts, after the first part was applied the teak looked like it turned black, no kidding. Then the 2nd part was applied and poof the stuff looked as new.   I just don't remember the name of it.
Thanks in advance.
1982 Nautique, 400 hrs. 3 shades of red. Decent shape had it since 1988.
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 10:03am
H1, I think the product you are refering to is Te-Ka Scrub-less Teak Cleaning System. Part A turns the wood very dark, all you need to do is lightly scrub it with a "scrubie" pad. Then after about 5 minutes apply part B. Then after drying, apply a sealer such as Armada Original Wood Finish - 3 coats. Good luck, Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 10:31pm
The process is what makes it look nice!

The grey looking teak will need a good cleaning first...I use Star Bright cleaner and
Star Bright teak oil. CLEAN IT WELL!!!!

When using the cleaner...scub it with a stiff nylon brush(with the grain)and hose it off with water...may need to scub it a couple times with the cleaner. Give it a light sanding (200 grit)...let dry and oil it!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 10:36pm
I use the same two part chemical as Grand Slam. It works great.

However, I'm not sure about the suggested wood finish. I've never used a wood finish. Maybe we are referring to the same thing. When I think of finish, I think of varnish, which looks good for a while, but ends up a nightmare over time. I always use a teak oil, and apply a few coats, waiting several hours for drying between coats.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 9:41am
Teak does not lend itself to finishes due to the oil content of the wood. I would avoid any kind of finish and simply use a teak oil like suggested above or Amazon Gold. I had good luck pressure washing the neglected swim platform on my '93, followed by sanding, followed by a wood bleach to even out the color and finally Amazon Gold teak oil.
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 9:42am
BKH, Armada makes a satin finish that once applied will last all year and is very simular to teak oil. You do not have to sand in between coats but you need to intially apply at least 3 coats then once a year apply 1 coat.
Trust me that after owning an 42' Ocean Yacht for 10 years I have tried nearly every teak sealer and the Armada signficantly reduced my teak maintenance, of course this was in a salt water environment, you guys on the lakes may be able to get by with just an oil. Also I would avoid using a preasure washer on teak, while it does in fact clean the teak it also will remove some of the grain making the teak rough which will then have a tendancy to hold dirt. Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:53am
i used amason gold one step teak cleaner this year and was very pleased with it, bio-degradable very safe stuff and easy to use and worked quite well and with very little effort.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 2:06pm
Well you can varnish it provided it is prepared right....however , not me...clean and oil it...not much to it! It is an easy job if you do it each year...if you neglect it it is a bigger job to clean the old discolored oil out.

If you varnish it...a buddy of mine did his with Sikkens marine varnish and it did come out quite well...again, not for me
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic