NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat dies when i put in gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 12:36am
Thats great,good luck
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 12:08am
Hi, me again! It seems my mechanic quit (haven't heard back from him). So my friend Laura and I took it upon ourselves to try your advise. We youtubed Top dead center and went from there. We took your firing advise and she sounds really good. (strong!) We cant do the lake test until tomorrow. So fingers crossed! We will let you know after the lake test.    
Thanks again to everyone for their help. Lisa
Thanks! Lisa
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 8:57am
Kens detailed explanation is spot on. If you're 180 off on the distributor (i.e. the balancer marks were lined up on the exhaust stroke instead of compression), AND you use the incorrect (302 vs 351) firing order, the engine will run on 4cyl. Sounds like that may be the case here.

You can try swapping the 6&1 and 2&8 wires (on the distributor end) if you want to quickly test this theory rather than setting the timing from scratch.
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 10:46pm
Thank you so much! It will be a few days before I can get the boat back to the mechanic but i will definitely let you know how it goes. Again thanks to everyone for all the help!
Thanks! Lisa
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 9:51pm
It's not a KenO original Pete

I probably learned it here on CCF
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 8:10pm
Ken,
Nice trick with the rags in the plug holes. I honestly have never heard of the method. Simple and I like it!! Sure easier that trying to read rocker arm movements!

I have always heard that you can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!

Now lets see if Lisa's mechanic can follow it???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 7:32pm
By the way, that's a very early Pleasurecraft engine when they were a division of Waukesha Motor Co.

The tag says it's a right hand rotating 302 with 215 HP with a Borg Warner 1 to 1 transmission turning a right hand propeller.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 7:25pm
Good job with the picture Lisa.

Your tag has a firing order of 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3 (later 302)

but you have the order arranged to be 1 8 7 3 6 2 4 5 (early 302)

You'll notice some clown named KenO did a little experiment the other day and took his
engine with the late firing order and rearranged the wires to see how it ran.

His results were that the engine would idle a little rough and a little slow but sound pretty good actually.

But when it was given any gas after shifting into gear it stalled. This probably sounds familiar to you

You said it didn't run with the later firing order as shown on the tag. I'm not sure why it didn't , but i'd either try that order again. (thats 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3} or another option would be to pull the plugs and put a little piece of rag over each plug hole, then rotate the engine by hand in the correct rotation direction and see what order the little pieces get blown out of the plug holes. You have to start with #1 at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke.You can find that with a rag over the plug hole

By the time you get to the 3rd plug hole you'll know which firing order you have.

First rag to blow out will be #1 when you find TDC on the compression stroke

Second will be #8

And then it'll be either #4 if you have the later order like your tag says...... or if #7 is next instead of #4 then you have the early firing order which is the way you have it now.

You only really need a rag over the #1 8 4 and 7 holes to figure out the order but if you take all the plugs out, it'll rotate easier by hand.

You can rotate it with a 15/16 socket on the front crankshaft bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on..

Cylinder numbering is

Front of engine
   5                  1

6                  2

7                  3

8                  4

and you want to rotate the engine counterclockwise if you're looking from the FRONT, Or in other words rotate it toward the drivers side of the boat

You might have to read this a few times to digest it, but it'll tell you your firing order
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 4:54pm
Thanks! Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 9:10am
Lisa,
Did you get the FO corrected and have you got the engine running? If not, we would still like to help with the FO but still need the information on the engine marinizer. With your recent site visits,tell us what you have been trying in order to post pictures. We have had other members with problems posting pictures too so don't feel bad. One solution is to email pictures to another member so they can post them for you. Links to members emails including mine are in their profiles. You click on the arrow next to the members screen name and a drop down menu will come up. Have you tried Google Chrome yet? I use it without problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2017 at 6:03am
Lisa,
It seems like you are still having issues with posting pictures so, is there a ID plate on the engine or any other markings? What's the "mechanic" saying about the problem? Did he even run the boat after he changed the plugs and wires?
Also, I don't think you answered:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Lisa,
Did you replace any other parts?

And, why did you have the "mechanic" work on the boat? Was there another problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Distributor will turn CCW on Fords looking down on it no matter which way the crankshaft rotates. Reverse Rotation or not.      That is what screws up most Auto mechanics

Another thing that screws up auto mechanics is the FO is cast into the intake manifold. Same manifold is used on RH or LH rotation engines My 302 was that way and really messes with your mind.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Lisa, the correct firing order (as noted above) is: 18736245.
This assumes original or pre '82 replacement engine.
Many "automotive mechanics" aren't aware that the Correct Craft marine motors of that era rotate opposite of a car, thus have a unique firing order.
Please also note the direction that the distributor rotor turns.

Hope that get you going again.

The 302 (at least the 4bbl marine version) went to the 351w firing order much earlier than 1982. My 78 Tique used the later FO. My 71 and I think 72 boats used the earlier FO. I would like more info and pictures to see what we're actually dealing with rather than proclaiming to be certain which FO is correct... as her boat is certainly in the proximity of when the change occurred.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Please also note the direction that the distributor rotor turns. .

Distributor will turn CCW on Fords looking down on it no matter which way the crankshaft rotates. Reverse Rotation or not.      That is what screws up most Auto mechanics
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 5:47pm
Lisa, the correct firing order (as noted above) is: 18736245.
This assumes original or pre '82 replacement engine.
Many "automotive mechanics" aren't aware that the Correct Craft marine motors of that era rotate opposite of a car, thus have a unique firing order.
Please also note the direction that the distributor rotor turns.

Hope that get you going again.
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:12pm
Thanks! Lisa
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:10pm
Thanks I will try that
Thanks! Lisa
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:05pm
Try Google Chrome for your home page. My old computer would not upload to the "tree" icon either until I open CCF in Google Chrome..
My 88 Barefoot when I first got it.
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 10:37pm
I sent the pictures over from my email. They are in my "file manager" but that is where they seem to want to stay? Tree either takes forever or is not working.
Thanks! Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:57pm
Lisa,
Are you trying to post pictures from a mobile device? If so, it doesn't work very well. Most will email a picture to themselves and then post it from their home computer.

Sorry about the seller being misinformed and the "mechanic" who has problems with FO's!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:54pm
Lisa - the profile pictures do need to be approved, but you can upload photos to the thread by using the post reply button and clicking on the tree icon.   you will need to save the photo in a size that is small enough to go on the server, i am not sure what size that is anymore, but if you can save it to the "email" setting, that is small enough.   there is another way to load pictures, but it'snot as easy to explain.   btw, the server keeps track of the photos you have already loaded and requires that you use non duplicated names for each one.
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:51pm
The guy who sold me the boat said I had to add lead. Hmm could have saved a LOT of money. The mechanic that suggested wire changes was auto mechanic. I uploaded some pics but can't seem to get em on my profile yet..do they have to be approved first?
Thanks! Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:46pm
Are the pictures coming so we can ID the marinizer of the engine and help with the FO?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by LisaO LisaO wrote:

I have to add lead to the fuel tank.

NO!! The lead "substitute" is a scam with a very high mark up that marinas love to push! Lead did add some lubrication that did save wear on valve faces and valve seats but not much. When it's time for a valve job, that's when hardened seats can be installed. If the "mechanic" pushing the substitute says any more about it, ask him if he remembers white gas or in some areas it was called marine gas. Guess what, it was straight run gas with absolutely NO additives and the old engines with NO hardened valve seats ran fantastic on the stuff!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:37pm
Lisa,
Who is "they"? A supposed mechanic?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:23pm
Hi, thanks to everyone for all your help. The boat did run well before the plugs/wires were changed. Problem is that they did not make note of old FO UGG! It was suggested that I change them because they had some hairline splits (damage) to them. I did drain out old fuel and put in new. I have to add lead to the fuel tank.
Thanks! Lisa
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 5:25pm
Keno that is impressive commitment and follow up.
I put you up for forum member of the year!
Nice follow up. I hope your power valve survived.
Mark
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 5:19pm
My question to the OP is the one Pete asked earlier.....how did it run before the plug/wire change?

'Cuz if ran good, then was worked on, and now doesn't run good, chances are very, very good that an error was made in the work done.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 4:51pm
Thats what happened to mine years ago when I rebuilt the HM Ken. No Correct Craft Fan then all on my own. Bought a Crane RR cam they put the wrong firing order on the cam card. Started up fine but when I tried to run it at cam break in rpm it ran lousy. Finally pulled the valve covers and watched the valves. Lucky I didn't ruin the cam.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 3:34pm
Time for part 3 of this experiment.

One of those other voices in my head said "what's wrong with you, not seeing how it takes some load? "

So..... off to the boat, swap wires around again, fire it up, same slowish idle, bump it into gear and it would stay idling and moving.

Give it any gas at all after that and it would backfire and stall every time.

Probably wiped out a power valve with all those backfires but did prove to myself anyways that, yes it will idle but it won't take any load with the swapped firing order

Swapped it back to normal, and drove back to the dock.with no problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic