NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat dies when i put in gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 8:50am
Maybe it's an issue under the distributor cap

Or maybe this is another case of "about the time you're convinced it's an ignition problem, it turns out to be a fuel system issue"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Well if she or her friend were named Kim..........

Easy there fella!!!!

Don't give hope Lisa you're a trooper for trying to get the boat running again. I would assume that since you're in Marietta you probably take the boat to Alatoona. There are several of us CCFans that get together on Lake Lanier and we'll be happy to help, figure and hopefully fix the issue for you if you can drag the boat over to Lanier this weekend as the gang will be getting together.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 2:44am
Thank you! Please tell me where and when. Lisa
Thanks! Lisa
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 8:14am
PM sent Lisa.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Jay SE IN. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 10:36am
I vote for bad accelerator pump.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 11:52am
Lisa

You have a PM with Nautiquehunter's phone number if you want to call him
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Jay SE IN. Jay SE IN. wrote:

I vote for bad accelerator pump.

Kinda goes along with this

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Maybe it's an issue under the distributor cap

Or maybe this is another case of "about the time you're convinced it's an ignition problem, it turns out to be a fuel system issue"

Looks like she'll have some in person CCF help available to her
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 2:08pm
I really hope the fellas can get your sorted out in person.

Reading through this post and travels to the lake to test, I would encourage you to read this thread to install the Timmy T and/or also another thread on running the boat off a bucket. This can save you lots of time troubleshooting without multiple trips to the lake. Before you know it, you will be wrenching with the best of them and will know your boat inside and out
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 3:10pm
Sent LisaO a message and talked to NautiqueHunter this morning. Between the two of us we should figure this one out and find the issue if she brings the boat over to Mikes this weekend. I'm headed up first thing Sat morning with Kermit as we're supposed to have beautiful conditions for a Lanier Crew meeting.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

I really hope the fellas can get your sorted out in person.

Reading through this post and travels to the lake to test, I would encourage you to read this thread to install the Timmy T and/or also another thread on running the boat off a bucket. This can save you lots of time troubleshooting without multiple trips to the lake. Before you know it, you will be wrenching with the best of them and will know your boat inside and out

Problem is the boat won't run under "Load". Cant really simulate that with a bucket or flush kit. I'm running into the same issue. Need the boat in the water..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Problem is the boat won't run under "Load". Cant really simulate that with a bucket or flush kit. I'm running into the same issue. Need the boat in the water..

ah, you're right. my mistake. There has been a lot of talk about FO and it sounding good at idle, but dying when put in gear.   I don't remember seeing anything about revving the engine while in neutral and it being smooth, and that's where my head was at while reading. Would it be beneficial to get the engine running smooth in neutral at idle and through some rpms before putting a load on it?

Plus, in the future it still doesn't hurt to be able to run the boat at home to troubleshoot other issues.

Glad there are local people to help out!
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2017 at 10:44pm
Hi again! I have good news....but please don't judge. i was in touch with Nautique Hunter and he said he would take a look at my boat (great guy!). We talked for quite a while on the phone. (He is a wealth of information) So before I bothered him...I rechecked my FO and for some reason the 3 and the 4 were switched (don't judge). We did a lake test after work and she ran like a dream! Long story short...the FO on the tag was completely correct...just had to take everyone's advise and find TDC and get the FO right (cant even believe i am talking like this??)
But thank you to everyone for suggestions and offers of help in person. You all are invaluable and so is this site. Lisa
Thanks! Lisa
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2017 at 11:15pm
Lisa,
Great news!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2017 at 12:09am
Thanks for getting back to us!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2017 at 2:48am
Yes, thank you for posting the (happy) resolution.
All too often, sage advise is given here, and the results are unkown.
No judging at all. Simple (and common) error.
Most don't have the courage to fess up to it.
Great that the motor is back to full song..
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2017 at 4:38am
I've been wondering, way to go checking and fixing your boat!
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2017 at 9:11am
Glad to hear it is running. Enjoy the weather, while it last.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2017 at 10:55am
A great lesson learned and shared.
'92 Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2017 at 12:40pm

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic