NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 Ski Nautique parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:14pm
Which breaker is popping? The 50 Amp?

ski dim breaker page
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Sean,

I like your grounding block and agree that is some high-quality work! Where did you get it? Looks like you are using all of it! There is a lot of stuff to ground.

I used the same ones that Brian did. They come in two sizes. Used the larger one for grounds and one each of the smaller ones for power.

Blue Sea Systems Bus Bars

flyfishdelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:35pm
It's the ignition breaker,
Not sure the amps, I have seen 20, 40, and 50. depending on the diagram listed.
the 351-wire-diagram-1 identifies the starter breaker as a 20 amp.

looks like the 50 amp is on the motor, it was fine, the dash mounted breaker is the one that pops

Thanks.
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:53pm
I just replaced mine during my rewire job. I think it was 30. I replaced a couple of the most used breakers and cleaned all the rest. I first sprayed them full of WD40, worked the button for a minute and then sprayed contact cleaner and worked some more.   I would try cleaning it and see if that helps.   You can do it with WD40, contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 8:59pm
Also, the starter doesn't draw current through that breaker so it should be OK but the starter relay does. Did you replace the starter relay with the new starter?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 9:50pm
I did replace the starter relay, forgot to list that part number, The old one cracked in half when I moved the + cable while replacing the starter.
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 10:04pm
Steve,
Have you gotten any voltage readings when cranking the engine on both batteries? I suspect somethings up with that new battery since you trip the ignition breaker with it and not with the old battery. The two batteries are the variable. Get the VOM out and check the volts. A low voltage will cause a higher amp draw (Ohms law) and that may be overloading the breaker causing it to trip?

BTW, why the 1000CCA? Bigger in a battery isn't better in my opinion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 11:09am
Here is the wiring diagram that I believe was being referenced above:

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Originally posted by flyfishdelta flyfishdelta wrote:

recently bought a 24MS Everstart at Walmart for the 93 SN ...
.... too much CA for the boat to handle?

First problem there is the Everstart - never been a fan of those for a cranking battery. Cars, boats, ATVs, garden tractors ... seems they rarely last longer than 2 years no matter how well you maintain them.

First off the proper battery size for that boat should be a group 65.

Secondly I’m not sure where KC is getting his information on EverStart it’s probably one of the best on the market for the $ as long as you get the EverStart MAXX. They are made by Johnson Controls the same company the makes Interstate, Sears and Optima Batteries
I have one in my ‘85 ‘95 SN’s with no issues, I also have two in my Power Stroke F-250 that are close to 8 years old and just started my diesel in - 20*F in Quebec last month.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 4:19pm
everyone has an opinion about battery's, I respect that. I worked on a project for a Battery mfg, and thats when I found out most readily available batteries are the same mfg, just a different label.

I was in the neighborhood of a Walmart and they only had the 24MS (maxx) in stock for $65 it's a deal. No other reason for that particular battery, I needed 2 quick for my Monterey and one for the SN. I know the hight issue on the SN, and I don't like that the battery sits so low in the hull. (we don't get a lot of rain, but when we do it's usually 1''s at a time. I want to move the battery(s) forward to keep it dry and in it's own batt box and eventually run two. One for just accessories.

As far as the breaker I haven't actually tested anything yet, looks like a weekend project. It's strange that the old battery starts the boat just fine, and I know it's still good with no voltage loss. I think a little work there will tell me whats up. After reading everyones comments, I think I may know right where to look.
This has been a great free project boat as I have taken it from a stuck motor, all the pumps dried up, starter was a big block of rust, and almost no steering to fast water over the last few months. I'm trying to wrap up the last few issues as I will be handing the keys to my son for his birthday next month. Free boats are not free as the old saying goes, and this one has produced some interesting challenges.

Items to go
-trouble shoot the breaker issue
-new carpet
-fuel sending unit
-repare some chipped gel coat at the transom tow point
-if needed reinforce the transom at the tow point
-detailing (maybe some new decals)

Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 10:05pm
The battery box has a drain that goes into the bilge where the pump will take it out, no need to move it.
I hope after all this work you put a cover on the boat so the 1”s of rain doesn’t end up inside.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 4:29pm
the end goal is to have two batteries. Battery box is small/ room for just one.

as far as the cover goes, with these winter storms, 1" of rain ends up being a full hull when the storm is over... Don't ask, just don't LOL to loud if your at work. I have to pull the drain plug on my Monterey, I only just installed a lift for the SN so I can keep it high and plug out during the winter months. (of course we had a storm roll through while on the lift recently and plug was still in UHG!!!

Just part of dealing with a boat.
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 5:24pm
Have not updated the thread in a while,
Boat seems to run very well,
The Electrical is fine, had a bad connection. (Thanks for all the help and diagrams.)

Took it out on a long run, feels like I'm dragging a couple of buckets behind me... just a lot of drag. Top Speed is ~35MPH, The boat sat in the water for a year + before I got it and the hull had a bunch of crap stuck to it. I've tried Pressure washer and a few different hull cleaners, so far the only thing thats getting it cleaned is a plastic paint scrapper. With no trailer, sitting on a lift over the water, just not an easy job.

The prop on one blade has a small curl at the tip, must have hit a log or something some time ago.
So until I address the prop and the bottom, I just cruise the bays, nice and slow.

Something new, the auto choke quit working???? anyone have an idea? Carb was rebuild over the late winter, idles well, throttles up great... have to manually choke it to start when cold.

My projects lately have been rebuilding the dock around the boat and fixing the lift...

thanks all

Steve.
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 5:45pm
how do you manually choke it?
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

how do you manually choke it?

Ummmmm...
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 10:11pm
LOL...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by flyfishdelta flyfishdelta wrote:

The Electrical is fine, had a bad connection. (Thanks for all the help and diagrams.

Something new, the auto choke quit working???? anyone have an idea? Carb was rebuild over the late winter, idles well, throttles up great... have to manually choke it to start when cold.

Steve.

Steve,
Is the choke mechanically adjusted so the choke plate is almost closed when the engine is cold? Then does it open after the engine is running? If not, sounds like all the electrical isn't fine. If so, better get the VOM out and see what's going on with the choke electrically.

Yes, how do you manually choke the engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 8:52pm
Ha , so the butterfly choke is wide open( cold) I can move it easily and close it to start the motor. Once she fires, the choke opens on its own and stays open.
I checked the linkage and all is fine, so the auto choke may just be bad or like you mentioned, maybe electrical or did I replace the linkage incorrectly?? I’ll have to chase down, but not while it’s 100+ degrees outside.
Just to hot to work on her now.
She runs good, took her for a 2 hr break in/ trouble shooting trip around the delta. Died once on rapid throttle, I tried to replicate and the other times she was fine.

Have not towed anyone yet, sitting here right now waiting for 5 pm somewhere to take her out and try it again.

Now where did I put my beer?

Steve
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 10:17am
Flyweed,
My wife and I recently purchased the same boat that you have. Same color scheme. Ours too needed much "elbow grease" to get up to par. Our boat was the 6th boat made for that year. The gelcoat needed a lot of work repairing small cracks on the upper deck.. Wondering if that was problematic for the year or just our old boat.
The PO had replaced the interior (not very well) with their own idea of a color scheme. In your photos is that the original color scheme that our boats came with? I am planning to eventually replace all my interior and wanted to return to the original colors.Thanks for your help, Gregg
TWSS
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 1:00pm
GH..I sent you a private message. But yes..these 93's seem to develop a number of the small hairline gel coat cracks, especially along the rub rail. I have some as well, but never did anything about those. They don't bother me too much. I did re-do the rest of the boat however. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic