Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tranny issue?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1980snryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980snryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tranny issue?
    Posted: September-03-2017 at 2:34pm
When going idle speed, the boat seems to lurch forward, slow, lurch forward. Is this an issue with my transmission?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 4:24pm
Sounds more like a carb issue. What is the idle RPM and does it stay steady or surge also. Tranny issue should show itself at above idle RPM also.
Need more info.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980snryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 7:44pm
I will check on the RPM.. it doesn't do it when I go faster than idle.. it takes a while to warm up before i can put it in nutreal to idle without dying.
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 8:42am
Don't be too quick to blame this on a carb or vacuum problem.
RPMs are the only factor that answers this question.
My trans has been lurching or surging for 3 years and I have no RPM change.
It is all trans related and past due for a rebuild.
I've experienced hard slips at ski speeds and WOT. I've also experienced gradual slipping that is not really felt, but seen or observed by top speed falling off.   I can do a fluid siphon and fresh refill and get speed back, however, the surge at idle never goes away.
It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 12:09pm
At the same time, don't be too quick to blame it on the transmission.

Like Duane said, look at the carburetor.

You could also make sure your distributor flyweights and springs are functioning correctly as they can cause issues .with idle speed fluctuations

Also like Duane said................... .more info
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 5:10pm
Sorry if I missed it (again), but what boat/ engine are we discussing here? By the screen name it appears to be a 1980 SN, but sometimes you never know.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 7:20am
Ryan,
What did you find with the surge problem? We'd love to hear back so we'd know if we were able to help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ryan,
What did you find with the surge problem? We'd love to hear back so we'd know if we were able to help.

Have you had a chance to look into the problem yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980snryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 10:55pm
Sorry all, I travel for work and have not had a chance to get out in the boat lately. I plan on going out tomorrow and will post an update.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980snryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 10:58pm
1980 SN with a 351

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980snryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 10:53pm
Took the boat out today and the rpm does fluctuate just a slight bit. I'm going to mess with the idle adjustments a little and see what that does.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic