NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weak starter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weak starter?
    Posted: September-03-2017 at 7:47pm
Since the day I bought the boat, the starter seems abnormally slow, almost like the battery is very low. Both batteries always register 12.7 to 12.9 volts before starting and the engine starts just fine, every time. But it makes me a bit nervous because even with the dual battery setup I installed, I'm afraid the starter may give out while I'm in a remote area somewhere.   Is it normal for the GT40's to crank so slowly or maybe the starter is old and weak? Or is it perhaps something else ....

Thanks for your input
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 8:22pm
Before buying a starter, check the voltage drops across the cables, also could be bad contacts in the solenoid. You could have corroded connections or cables.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 10:03pm
If properly tuned a GT-40 with the proper fuel pressure starts on the first turn of the starter 9 out of 10 times. Shouldn't have to crank more than a revolution or 2 at most.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

If properly tuned a GT-40 with the proper fuel pressure starts on the first turn of the starter 9 out of 10 times. Shouldn't have to crank more than a revolution or 2 at most.

Well, she must be properly tuned then lol ....   But still, I'm curious and concerned.   It feels as though if it didn't start after that 1 or 1 1/2 revolutions that the battery wouldn't have the power to continue, which is the troubling part - plenty of juice.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Before buying a starter, check the voltage drops across the cables, also could be bad contacts in the solenoid. You could have corroded connections or cables.

Yeah, buying a starter was going to be a last ditch, especially since the engine has never failed to start in just one revolution. I have checked the contacts & cables and they are tight with no corrosion.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 10:46pm
The info chris gave you is a good start.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Yeah, buying a starter was going to be a last ditch, especially since the engine has never failed to start in just one revolution. I have checked the contacts & cables and they are tight with no corrosion.

I agree with Chris. He said "voltage drop"!!!
So does Paul!!

The info chris gave you is a good start.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 12:26am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Well, she must be properly tuned then lol ....   But still, I'm curious and concerned.   It feels as though if it didn't start after that 1 or 1 1/2 revolutions that the battery wouldn't have the power to continue, which is the troubling part - plenty of juice.

Well, if you want to find out if it'll keep cranking, why don't you pull your coil wire and turn the key?

You'll see if the engine will crank for let's say 10 or 15 seconds with no problem or if in say 5 seconds the starter won't crank it over any more.

Kinda a quick and dirty test to answer your curiosity and concern

After that you can decide what you may or may not need to do.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 1:17am
Ken's test could work two fold as in after a long crank I would bet that the suspect cable/wire/connection will be warmer than the other.
Of course a meter would be your best bet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 7:35am

Of course a meter would be your best bet.

Plus, you can determine if there's a voltage drop across the start relay (solenoid) due to bad contacts.

Joseph,
Why the dual batteries, what type of batteries are they and what type of combiner? Are you cranking on one or both?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 8:27am
You can do a lot with a GOOD heavy gauge set of jumper cables too, like bypass all of the wiring to the starter

Since you have a 95, you should have the newer small starter with a starter mounted solenoid and also the remote solenoid/relay mounted to the back of the engine.

Hook one cable from battery negative to the engine for a good ground and hook the other from the big terminal on the starter solenoid to battery positive.

Then a short small jumper from the same big terminal touched to the starter mounted solenoid connection will let the engine crank while you're touching the wire. This could be a 12 gauge wire with an alligator clip on one or both ends about a foot or 18 inches long to give you a little extra to work with. The 2 connections are only a couple of inches apart on the starter. solenoid. See the picture, the jumper goes from the big nut on top to the spade connection in the picture. You might have the spade terminal or just a nut. Just a momentary touch to start the engine. No need to disconnect any of the normally installed wiring as long as you can make electrical contact with the spade terminal or the mounting nut for it.

If the key is OFF it will only crank

If the key is in RUN it will start and run even after you remove the small jumper and you then turn it off with the key.

This bypasses all of the wiring to the starter including the heavy gauge cable from the battery to the remote solenoid, the remote solenoid to the starter, and the remote solenoid itself.

If it cranks faster then you know you have a problem in one of those bypassed areas.

If it's no better, then your starter or battery or in your case batteries, would be suspect if it cranks slower than you think it should.

Notice that I emphasized GOOD heavy gauge battery cables and your starter should look like the one in the picture. If it's the older starter you can do the same test but a little differently.

This is harder to try and explain than it is to actually do it   
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 9:45am
Good info Ken.   I might add that make sure you are in neutral because you have also bypassed the safety switch.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Good info Ken.   I might add that make sure you are in neutral because you have also bypassed the safety switch.

Good thought there Duane
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2017 at 7:39am
Good info, I'll try the test next chance I get Ken. Thanks to all
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 4:23pm
UPDATE:

I've done the test as Ken has described and the engine does in fact crank at the same speed as before. So apparently the cables and connections are just fine, as I had suspected. This does however bring up a more pointed inference of the original question   that I had posed - Is the engine cranking more slowly than is normal for a GT40, or is the starter just weak?     I suppose this is ultimately a subjective question relative to who is listening to the cranking speed and what they consider to be "slow".    

However, most of us at some point in our lives has had a very weak battery in their cars or boats to the point that the engine will just barely turn over. Continued cranking does nothing but drain the battery quickly to the point that it won't turn at all within a very few revolutions.   THIS is the sense I get when cranking the boat.   The difference is that when doing Ken's test, the cranking speed increased slightly after a revolution or two and stayed at that speed for a sustained amount of time. But again, just a small increase in speed.   So, back to the dilemma: is this just the normal cranking speed of every GT40 out there, is it a weak starter, or is it just the normal speed of this particular starter?   Who's to say, I guess.   Suffice to say that at this point I now know it is not the wiring or the batteries and since she does start, first crank every time ....

Thanks for everyone's input !!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 4:45pm
I flooded out my starter last year with saltwater and just didn't feel like fooling around with it. Not being a weightlifter or 30 I bought the smaller gear reduction starter like you have. Check around and see if you can have yours gone through at an auto electric shop but keep in mind the price of a new one. I found this place had a good price on them-
Discount Marine Supplies
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 4:53pm
one could disable the ignition and give it an extended crank.
Then quickly find the warmest component in the loop, from lugs, cables, connectors, solenoid, starter, battery post, not just POS but GND also.

The warmest component, is then the most suspect component.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 4:59pm
Being one of those types that likes to have spare parts on hand, I'd buy another starter and put it in. Then you'll know if there's a difference and you'll have a spare starter too for the day when you need it..

A little voice in my head says you have a weak starter mostly because a GT-40 will turn over just as fast as any other 351

Like Gary said ARCO 70200 or something that cross references to it

It's a clockwise rotating starter which is what you need for your normal rotation Ford.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I flooded out my starter last year with saltwater and just didn't feel like fooling around with it. Not being a weightlifter or 30 I bought the smaller gear reduction starter like you have.

Gary,
With myself getting up there in age like yourself and dealing with 80 lb. bags of concrete and 1/3 sq. bundles of shingles wearing the orange apron, I certainly understand the weight issue. However, you being one of CCfans best tinkerers, I'm surprised you didn't mess with the starter!! You know like I've said a few times, a good commutator and bushing cleanup is all it would probably have needed. I'm sure Ken would have tinkered!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 7:16pm
I just picked up an '87 Martinique and noticed it had a very slow crank situation as well. I checked for corrosion on all connections, and wire brushed it all. Checked ground connection. Battery was very strong. Cables appear new, and VERY HD. I even took the starter to AutoZone, and they confirmed it was "good"....just because the drive gear engaged when hit with juice.

However, I still suspected the starter. Took it to a rebuild shop in the Chicago burbs that works on my stuff (and whom I trust), and my guy there called me today to let me know he rebuilt it. He said it was loaded with rust, brushes were busted up, and the drive was bad, He rebuilt it for $125. I will pick it up this evening and reinstall. I should be good to go. He told me to look no further as to the issue. We will see.

I have been watching a lot of Youtube videos on this topic. An interesting fact emerged. ~90% of problems are usually cable or connection related.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

I even took the starter to AutoZone, and they confirmed it was "good"....just because the drive gear engaged when hit with juice.    

David,
Now you know how good of a job they do with their "testing". I am surprised they didn't tell you it was bad and then tried to sell you a new or rebuilt one. That however is probably good since chances are high that Autozone would have sold you the wrong rotation!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

! You know like I've said a few times, a good commutator and bushing cleanup is all it would probably have needed. I'm sure Ken would have tinkered!

What's a commutator? Is it a little economy car that you use to commutate back and forth to work

Something like a Subaru Forester? What's it nickname? I forgot
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

! You know like I've said a few times, a good commutator and bushing cleanup is all it would probably have needed. I'm sure Ken would have tinkered!

What's a commutator?

Ken,
For the benefit of others who may not understand your "tongue in cheek" :

"A commutator is a moving part of a rotary electrical switch in certain types of electric motors and electrical generators that periodically reverses the current direction between the rotor and the external circuit. It consists of a cylinder composed of multiple metal contact segments on the rotating armature of the machine."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 10:30pm

I'm surprised you didn't mess with the starter!! You know like I've said a few times, a good commutator and bushing cleanup is all it would probably have needed. I'm sure Ken would have tinkered!

Well I didn't want to do it halfway,I would have had to take it apart,then I would have wanted to paint it. Then the fact it sits so low in that boat,the engine beds sit about 6" down from the top of the stringers, that I just didn't feel like messing with it. Then added to that we were about to take our 180+ mile river trip,that in the scheme of things $125 give or take didn't want to take a chance. All that plus the peer pressure too,I'd rather take the flack for not fixing the old one,I like being the boat in front of the rope.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 12:10am
Its no wonder it's so hard to find someone who rebuilds starters around here, when you can get rebuilt units on eBay for $90.. I wonder if the internals are of decent quality... but with a 1yr warranty I can't imagine they're that bad.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 12:39am

I even took the starter to AutoZone, and they confirmed it was "good"....just because the drive gear engaged when hit with juice.    

David,
Now you know how good of a job they do with their "testing". I am surprised they didn't tell you it was bad and then tried to sell you a new or rebuilt one. That however is probably good since chances are high that Autozone would have sold you the wrong rotation!!

I just put my rebuilt starter on. That was the issue. Cranks like a Mack truck. Now I have to run to AutoZone and pick up a new deep cycle marine battery that the sales clerk recommended for starting my 351 motor....and get my new Fram oil filter.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 1:23am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Being one of those types that likes to have spare parts on hand, I'd buy another starter and put it in. Then you'll know if there's a difference and you'll have a spare starter too for the day when you need it..

Being a kindred spirit, this is exactly what my inner voice was telling me to do...
The wife was hoping I was deaf to the inner voice   

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 1:25am

..... Now I have to run to AutoZone and pick up a new deep cycle marine battery that the sales clerk recommended for starting my 351 motor....and get my new Fram oil filter.

HA HA HA.... funny stuff   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 1:55am
Dave if your going to the Cary one will you check and see if they have any Spitfire spark plugs and some Slick 50? I can't wait on a JC Whitney order.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 6:31am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Its no wonder it's so hard to find someone who rebuilds starters around here, when you can get rebuilt units on eBay I wonder if the internals are of decent quality... but with a 1yr warranty I can't imagine they're that bad.

Tim, read the bottom line. Makes it worth while to put one on the shelf.   That even sweetens the deal more

Specifications:
Unit Type     Starter
Voltage     12
Rotation     CCW
Teeth     9
Starter Type     DD
Brief     MARINE APPLICATIONS WITH FORD ENGINES
B+ STUD
Item Condition       New    

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>