NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder question
    Posted: September-07-2017 at 8:40pm
Well as I've done with everything on my boat since I bought it, I've been meticulously going through every part of the boat to check the status of all it's parts and systems. I've got a long way to go yet, but since I had been looking at the prop, I decided to research the rudder and remembered something I had come across when perusing through the Nautique Parts site: a replacement rudder with trim tab. Mine does not have a trim tab and that had me curious. Was the rudder replaced at some point or did they all come without and the tab version is an upgrade that has come out since.

This is the one I saw:

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 9:13pm
First year of the tuneable rudder was 1999 IIRC, so your boat would not have had one originally.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 9:13pm
Joseph,
Google "rudder tuning" and you will find that putting a slight bevel on one side of ether the forward or aft side of the rudder will do the same.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 2:50am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joseph,
Google "rudder tuning" and you will find that putting a slight bevel on one side of ether the forward or aft side of the rudder will do the same.

Good to know Pete !   The whole reason it caught my attention to begin with is that the wheel is about 10-15 deg. off center while under way and on plane - reminded me of my humble beginnings years ago with an Alpha Merc.   It was on my list to investigate one day
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 7:17am
Rudder tuning is not for correcting a helm wheel that isn't centered when going straight. Tuning creates a loading on the wheel to eliminate a straight line neutral wobble (slack in the system) when say running down a shalom course. To correct the wheel off center, the clamp tube that holds the steering cable at the aft end just before it attaches to the rudder tiller arm is moved fore or aft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 4:54pm
Right, I guess I wasn't thorough enough in my post. My steering wheel isn't centered while at speed, getting a bit worse the faster you go. At slow and no wake speeds it is pretty much straight. The "off center" is due to the compensation for the torque, and gets fairly strong the faster you go - gets kind of tiring after a while
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 5:06pm
You can google rudder tuning and go here
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 5:28pm

To correct the wheel off center, the clamp tube that holds the steering cable at the aft end just before it attaches to the rudder tiller arm is moved fore or aft.

No. That evens out the left and right deflection, regardless of where the steering wheel points.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

To correct the wheel off center, the clamp tube that holds the steering cable at the aft end just before it attaches to the rudder tiller arm is moved fore or aft.

No. That evens out the left and right deflection, regardless of where the steering wheel points.

Correct and when you change the rudder defection, the helm wheel will change position necessitating a different position of the wheel to maintain the same boat direction. One thing I should have mentioned, the lock to lock helm should be checked making sure you get approximately the same rudder movement in each direction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 5:52pm
HW is correct, clamp block to clamp tube placement dictates steering travel in either direction. Steering wheel orientation should be addressed at the helm.

It sounds like someone has already tuned your rudder. It would have been set up with neutral steering (no preload) from the factory. Take a look at be trailing edge of the rudder, additional grinding on the opposite side should offset it.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 3:53am
Well I finally got around to checking out the rudder to see just what one of the last owners had done......

PORT side:

STARBOARD side:

TOP view:

And there's the answer..... So my question now is do I bevel the port side to match even though by the looks of it the trailing edge is going to end up like a knife edge?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 12:55pm
That is the stock rudder mine has the same grind.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 2:47pm
Ok, well others had said that these were set from the factory to have zero, or neutral steering so I was assuming this had been done after the fact, considering the fairly strong pull while at speed.

I understand not wanting any neutral "wobble" - my first boat was a smaller inboard/outboard that had quite a bit of this off plane and I really don't want to go back there!   However, this one seems to be a bit the opposite and, as with everything on an owners boat, this is one of those personal preference points: some may not mind, or even prefer a strong pull. Others, like me, would prefer not to notice it nearly as much as this boat seems to have.   Thus, I will be tuning it to alleviate a good portion.   I was just curious if others had rudders ground to this extreme (how it appears to me) and if correcting it ended up with a knife edge at the trailing edge.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 11:01pm
That's not ground to an extreme, you should check the steering system before you start grinding. I can drive my '95 at skier speed with 1 finger.
It has just a very small bit of pressure against it, just enough pressure to keep you from sawing your way through a course or a run across the lake.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic