NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cutlass, Prop shaft & prop update

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2017 at 5:26pm
Looks good! Also, while you have some fresh packing on hand you may want to re pack the rudder stuffing box. Looks like its hanging out of the rudder port quite a bit (rudder play is adjusted with the stuffing nut). You want about 1/16" up and down play in the rudder shaft.

The picture may be deceiving my eyes since the focus is on the propeller.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2017 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Looks good! Also, while you have some fresh packing on hand you may want to re pack the rudder stuffing box. Looks like its hanging out of the rudder port quite a bit (rudder play is adjusted with the stuffing nut). You want about 1/16" up and down play in the rudder shaft.

The picture may be deceiving my eyes since the focus is on the propeller.

Funny you should point this out as I was recently told the same by a marine tech.   I had my boat in for some repairs (I'll explain that later) and they've had it so long the weather here in Kansas has turned a bit cold. Since I've been working out of town every week for nearly 2 months and will be into January, I decided to just have the shop winterize her for me and they went through it to see if there was anything that needed attention. He said it had about 1/4" of vertical play and although it is not leaking would benefit from some rudder shims (which I was going to ask about on the forum at some point). Good news is she came out with a clean bill of health other than the rudder and of course the terribly rusted and frozen motor mounts.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 2:10pm
My rudder gland is the top surface where the tiller arm rides.   it adjusts up and down. I would think the proper amount of packing wraps will dictate the height of the packing gland nut.   Not sure why you would want to add shims.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

My rudder gland is the top surface where the tiller arm rides.   it adjusts up and down. I would think the proper amount of packing wraps will dictate the height of the packing gland nut.   Not sure why you would want to add shims.

Because depending on the packing depth, tightness, size of packing, tolerance of the gland, etc. shims are needed and normal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 12:16am
Pete, the tech working on my boat told me he thought the only shims available these days were 1/16" thick?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Pete, the tech working on my boat told me he thought the only shims available these days were 1/16" thick?

I wouldn't believe everything the tech tell you.

A little shopping will find plenty of different thicknesses

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 8:11am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I wouldn't believe everything the tech tell you.

A little shopping will find plenty of different thicknesses

Joseph,
Your "tech" is getting too technical!! Maybe he doesn't know what a flat washer is??? I'd suggest getting a mechanic who knows how to adjust the height of a rudder.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2017 at 10:40pm
As with most repairs and such I plan to do the work myself so I was just needing to know if that was true, or if they just couldn't find a source for them considering they are primarily a MC dealer.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2017 at 7:41am
Joseph,
I've found a inexpensive way to shim a rudder in the port is to use
Bronze Oilite thrust washers which are available in 1/8 and 1/16 inch thicknesses. As I mentioned, plain flat washers have been used since the invention of the rudder port with a packing gland and that goes back plenty of years on ALL boats!! There is NO specific shim made. You can even find the Oilite washers in your local hardware store. I suspect your MC "tech" doesn't know where a Ace hardware store is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2018 at 5:21pm
FYI   Correct Craft cut there own shims in the machine shop and used them as needed.
woodyelc
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 3:23pm
Mine has one thin shim that's in ok condition. Was wanting to put something else there for a bearing surface. The thrust bearings you posted seems to be the ticket.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 12:50am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

..... You can even find the Oilite washers in your local hardware store. I suspect your MC "tech" doesn't know where a Ace hardware store is.

Well, update. In fact a rather disturbing update.   I am now suspecting the MC "tech" was actually the 8 year old son of the guy that sweeps their floors !!!

Weather giving us a (very short) break this week, I decided to start on a few of the items on the boat, namely the rudder shims we spoke about previously. While I had the interior out, I figured I needed to check the alignment that was done when the MC dealer replaced the skeg, shaft and prop last fall.   GOOD thing I did .... what I found, well there aren't even any words. Pics, will have to do all the talking.   BRACE yourself guys, and remember, this was supposed to be a master tech at a Premier MC dealership ....

Ohhh, but it gets worse:

As you can see the shaft is nowhere close to center in the log or centered with the engine coupler, it's over 1/2" off ! How many thousandths is that?? Just a few more than 3, and I'm very sure it's really a lot more than that because the shaft isn't just resting against the log, it's pressing against the log wall.
Then there is that last pic. If you look closely, you'll notice it wasn't ground to the coupler, merely quickly bolted on, and rather loosely at that.   I haven't removed the prop yet, but based on what you see here, I'm very sure it wasn't ground to the shaft either.   

Wow. SOOO glad I decided to check out their work and not just take it on faith their "Master Tech" knew what he was doing.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 1:13am
I thought you replaced the shaft and aligned it yourself back in a post from Sept 19th.

Must be a missing chapter in the story.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 1:26am
Yes Ken,   didn't really want to advertise the oops and make my daughter feel worse that she already did.   It's been long enough now though.   Story was my daughter and I went out for one last run late in the season last fall and long story short the combination of a panic situation and a lake she wasn't very familiar with ended with her driving the boat over some really nasty underwater rock hazards.   Bent the cutlass about an inch to the port, warped the shaft and the new prop looked like rumpled tin foil.   
I would have done all the work myself (again) but since it was to be an insurance claim I was forced to take the boat to a dealership.   And since our new CC dealership in town was barely open and didn't have their service/ repair facilities done yet I was also forced to take it to the only other "approved" shop around - the infamous MC dealership indicated above.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 6:22am
Joe,
Regarding the taper at the coupling end, I have mentioned I've been lapping them to the coupling as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 9:33am
Just like with cars, in the "Marine World" sometimes you run into,those "professionals" that could use a little extra help getting things right.   

Maybe it was a new guy, maybe they forgot the alignment part of the job, maybe you should be checking that new strut installation pretty closely too if you're smart.

Hence why................the DIY hobbyist websites like this exist.

Did you slide your 2 piece collar up to the coupling before the picture was taken or did they leave it up there where it couldn't really do what it was supposed to do if the shaft broke at the coupling. In your September pictures it was in the right spot.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 9:41am
Oh............., I almost forgot, tell your daughter it was the navigator's fault

What's that saying, All's well that ends well

Looks like it'll end well with some work you weren't expecting to have to do again.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 10:22am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Oh............., I almost forgot, tell your daughter it was the navigator's fault

LOL -- Funny, that's just what my wife said      But honestly, that's really not all wrong. I knew the lake fairly well and also knew my daughter did not. She had driven into a cove to check out the new dock that had been rebuilt and drove entirely too close to the side of the cove that you don't drive on, especially when the lake is a bit low. By the time I noticed where we were it was too late.

Anyway, with the boat down for winter it's a good time to take care of some of the "list".
I wasn't going to dig into it this winter, perhaps next, but since the motor mounts have to be replaced and the shaft has to come out again anyway I figure it's a good time to tear into the engine. Cleaning up all the grease, sloppy wiring and giving it a good, proper paint job. I'm going to swap the heads to GT40P and maybe, if it's not too much of a pain, bump the cam up a bit.
Momma got her wish - she said I needed another project to get me out of the house

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 10:29am
Send those pictures tot he owner of the shop that did the work. He needs to know what is going out the door. You will be doing him a big favor!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joe,
Regarding the taper at the coupling end, I have mentioned I've been lapping them to the coupling as well.

Yes, I remember several of the group instructing me with this last fall and I'm thankful this site and it's folks exist, this being my first direct drive and first time dealing with a non-spline prop set-up.   I had done this the first time and everything worked great.

What is irritating in this situation is not that I have to do the work - I love doing this sort of stuff.   It's that I have to   REDO the work of a supposed master professional, who was paid for doing the work.    BUT, at least now I will KNOW that the job is done correctly !!   I had gotten the last shaft & coupler installed with an overall tolerance of a mere .0005". It's going to be a bit more work this time since I'll have to remove the new cutlass and reinstall it (correctly) but I'm sure I can get it spot on as well.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 10:38am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Send those pictures tot he owner of the shop that did the work. He needs to know what is going out the door. You will be doing him a big favor!

But Chris, they have factory trained "techs"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 10:44am
I figured on passing this off to the dealer at some point - think I'll go in and have a discussion with the owner/ manager. But honestly I'm not sure if that will help much. This dealer is sort of known in the area for being a bit of a snob. I was actually surprised when the agreed to work on such an old boat as mine. Their normal attitude is "don't bring anything to us older than 10 years and worth less that 50K ,,,"
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 12:30pm

I'm going to swap the heads to GT40P and maybe, if it's not too much of a pain, bump the cam up a bit.

I have had good luck with dropping in 1.7 ratio roller rockers with gt40p heads and the stock bottom end/cam, Had no clearance issues and a pretty good wake up for sure...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 12:36pm
The new boats stay in alignment so well that the techs probably have very little experience with dealing with alignment issues like you have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The new boats stay in alignment so well that the techs probably have very little experience with dealing with alignment issues like you have.

Bruce,
New boats staying in alignment or not there's no excuse for what Joe found. NO "tech" even ones that sweep floors should force a shaft over like that to bolt the couplings together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I'm going to swap the heads to GT40P and maybe, if it's not too much of a pain, bump the cam up a bit.

I have had good luck with dropping in 1.7 ratio roller rockers with gt40p heads and the stock bottom end/cam, Had no clearance issues and a pretty good wake up for sure...

It will be interesting to see first hand if the ecm has any trouble compensating for any of those changes or if it's a myth
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It will be interesting to see first hand if the ecm has any trouble compensating for any of those changes or if it's a myth

The problem is that system doesn't really compensate for much without the feedback loop of an oxygen sensor, and some of the earlier ones were tuned pretty lean to begin with.   The knock sensors are there and I am sure used to dial back some timing but if I was getting crazy with some improvements and not planning to reprogram I might bump up the injector size at least at first until I could get some info out of plug chops or an oxygen sensor. Not a very elegant solution though.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 3:17pm
Joe,
I'm pretty sure you have studied the alignment issue but to me it looks like it's the strut that's out. Just a friendly reminder to where to start and yes, alignment always starts at the strut!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 3:59pm
One of those sometimes annoying little voices in my head says that I should mention to Joe that maybe they didn't put the right strut on the boat and the angle is wrong

I guess I just mentioned it.

Part S-19 gets the right strut at a CC dealer
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 4:29pm
hope they didn't put the strut in with 5200.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic