NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yet More "Upgrades"

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet More "Upgrades"
    Posted: September-16-2017 at 3:47pm
Well it's been a very busy week - week nights actually - continuing with various additions, upgrades and repairs.

First, FINALLY got that old strut bearing out - WOW, what a fight! This was obviously the original bearing from 23 years ago and with as much corrosion as was present, all the traditional methods did not allow it to simply "tap out" easily. I'll spare everyone the blow by blow, but suffice to say that I was very close to removing the strut and pitching it across the yard. However It did finally dislodge and I very easily pressed in the new ones thanks to input from this site - So thanks to all for that!

Next came some grab rails to satisfy Momma, being worried about our 6 year old granddaughter. I took that opportunity to swap out the old plastic cup holders with stainless ones and adding a couple new ones in the back next to the hand rails.

Next, all the gauges were replaced with Faria Chesapeake. Although all of the old gauges worked, the had certainly seen a better day. I decided to go with a GPS speedometer, eliminating the need for the pitots and for the second speedometer as well. This opened up a gauge slot, which I used to install the new stereo. I started "hot wiring" the new hour meter so the hours would match the old one, but having it connected to a battery 24/7 it would have taken nearly 28 days to complete and since I really wanted to get the dash complete, I figured I'd just do that part later.

And finally the Stereo.   Going with a gauge styled stereo wasn't really a hard decision as CD's aren't really used much any more. Most all music is either satellite, flash memory or Bluetooth, of which this stereo has all 3 and is upgradable with multiple pre-amp outputs. At this stage I only installed one of the 4 speakers, in the pre-existing hole @ the foot board so I could check the system. And also of course to cover the ugly hole! Lastly, I installed the USB and AUX input in the glove box to protect ones' electronics.

One final note: As I stated above, all the original gauges work, they just aren't very pretty. Neither of the speedometers' adjustment features work, but they've both been verified with a phone GPS to be within 1/2 mile an hour.   If anyone would like any or all of these, they are welcome to them (free) as I know there are those that like to keep everything as original as possible.   Just shoot me a PM with your mailing address and what you'd like, though I'd rather get rid of them as a set.

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:29pm
I'll take 'em
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:32pm
Guess I should post now that the gauges are no longer available as Gary was the first to speak for them.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:36pm
No fair that bums retired some of us have to work for a living still

Hey Gary I could use the volt meter if don't need it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:43pm
By the way nice work....sweet stereo
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2017 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

No fair that bums retired some of us have to work for a living still

But I'm on a fixed income
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 2:26am
Paul - Thanks, and sorry the "bum" got there before you did. Seems I misjudged the interest in those gauges - I had several folks PM me about them within a few hours of posting, Gary was just the first
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 10:27am
Fixed income with nothing to do so he's gotta have something to tinker with.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 1:14pm
Looks good! I hope those grab rails don't interfere with a slalom rope when towing from the pylon...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 2:06pm
Wow, you don't mess around. It is looking good.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Fixed income with nothing to do so he's gotta have something to tinker with.

Yeah, my wife says that's going to be me in another 15 years. I'm just that kind of person that can't sit on the porch and wave at the folks walking by or watch a bunch of TV and the like so I know where he's coming from.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 1:05am
Thanks McD - It's coming along, got a chunk of the list done anyway. Lots of things left but I felt like these things couldn't wait.

JQ - did a lot of investigating beforehand and I believe we'll be fine. May be close for a kneeboarder or smaller child, but we'll deal with that when or if it's necessary. In the mean time momma feels it is safer.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 2:09am
Tell momma not to worry so much.
My 2 girls have been in the boat since diapers (now 6 & 10) and they both started on a ski trainer at 2. You set the rules and enforce them and there's no issues.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Tell momma not to worry so much.
My 2 girls have been in the boat since diapers (now 6 & 10) and they both started on a ski trainer at 2. You set the rules and enforce them and there's no issues.

👍
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 4:04pm
Did you use a reinforcing plate behind the grab rails. Without reinforcement I think you might find cracking around the attachment sight. They are in spots where people will grab them and pull hard to get in the boat. Just my 2cents on this.
DLafont View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLafont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 4:49pm
Sorry to semi-highjack the thread, but I have a couple gauges laying around if anyone's looking (speedo and clock) from a '90 SN. Btw, love that stereo you put it, looks awesome! I have the gauges posted in the "parts for sale" section.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Did you use a reinforcing plate behind the grab rails. Without reinforcement I think you might find cracking around the attachment sight. They are in spots where people will grab them and pull hard to get in the boat. Just my 2cents on this.

Yes I did    I personally have never had an issue but have had friends that have. That was the first thing, drilling a 1/4 x 2 x 6 plate to back up from the under side.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 5:46pm
I would argue that putting grab rails on the top of the stern of a ski boat will make it less safe for kids and everyone else rather than safer.   You installed them where everyone will be climbing in and out of the boat.   They are basically a trip and fall hazard. Let alone if a foot gets stuck underneath one and gets broken.    Also, when returning to a skier with the rope in the water someone will have to get up and move the rope over the handles rather than just sitting down and watching it slide across the stern.   It's your boat and you can do what you want but I think they are a mistake.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I think they are a mistake.

I agree plus, they sure aren't original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 9:15pm

I would argue ..... It's your boat and you can do what you want ....

I see your point. However, I would argue that this is not my first boat. I've been around boats since I was 11 years old and owned a couple before this one for many years (and my son says I'm as old as dirt, so you do the math). The fact that this is a SKI boat is completely irrelevant. All of my boats in the past and the vast majority of my friends and family's boats have had grab rails around the bow AND the stern. Granted, this is the first tournament boat I've owned, but the fact remains that with hundreds - no, THOUSANDS of entry and exits and as many skiers, tubers, wake boarders and such I've pulled behind any one of them, I have never seen nor heard of anyone tripping over them getting in or out, much less breaking something.
As for the rope skidding across the back unobstructed .... each to their own, but on a scale of 1 to 100 that rates somewhere in the bottom 10 with us. Perhaps you go out with your bud. trading off all afternoon and that is fine, I can see it a concern with your situation. As for me and mine, there is rarely a time where less than 3 are in the boat even with one at the end of the ski rope.   To date, no one has ever complained or thought it a distracting burden to lift a rope now and again.
What's that old country saying??   This ain't my first rodeo .....

And Pete, If I owned a boat such as your Atom, I would certainly keep it bone stock!! Mine is a bit like it's 3rd cousin that lives in the Kentucky hills and doesn't get out much       
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 9:39pm
Well as far as those handles go, I'd like to know how anybody can think a rope could get caught on any of them.

Smooth rounded curves with nothing at all to catch a rope.

To each his own I guess but I'm with you Joe

PS I like to watch goat rodeos myself
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 10:49pm
Handles look very nice !!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 2:38am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Well as far as those handles go, I'd like to know how anybody can think a rope could get caught on any of them.

Apparently your not a skier. Try idling in a circle with the rope in the water and see what happens. CC designed our boats without anything that could snag a rope from the ski pylon aft for a reason.

Sorry! Just a purist I guess. My kids grew up in my boat and we never had a problem.

If your your looking for positive feedback on all your "upgrades" you're on the wrong site.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 9:29am
I guess Correct Craft had other reasons for putting your trip hazard/rope catchers on something like this Nautique Super Sport

Here's another BFN/Excel with separate trip hazards and rope catchers

And apparently you're not a psychic either, gotta go and get ready for the morning's activities hanging onto a rope behind the boat

Joe likes his "upgrades"..................you obviously don't.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:06pm

If your your looking for positive feedback on all your "upgrades" you're on the wrong site.

Hmmm.   A rather harsh and narrow minded view, besides being inaccurate. While it is true there are obviously a lot of "purists" on this site, in the short time I have been involved I have read countless posts regarding modifications, "upgrades", and added gear. Some like them, some don't. And while those that prefer to keep their CC's completely original may not like or agree with these changes, and even offer opinions, I have yet to encounter a poster berating another for their personal choices ... until now.    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:28pm
I think the boat looks great. I'm not a purist...just a pragmatist. Go with what works best for you.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:28pm
Much to the disapproval of some, I am sure....   I finally finished the replacement of the old, nasty switch panels with carbon fiber panels of my own design.   Not liking the original switch/ resets of the original craft, and the fact that out of the 10 switches, 7 were DOA when I bought the boat and another 2 worked only intermittently, I decided to switch everything over to a Carling style and add a few other extras that I thought - for me - would be useful. Myself liking to "personalize" my crafts, I went with a blue light theme for the dash and cockpit and even went so far as to swap out the standard lights in the gauges to blue LED's.   ( What? Modifying a modification? -- Shame on me ! .... )       

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:35pm
I am one of those that generally likes to stick to the "original", but this looks great and I agree is a vast improvement over what was originally delivered. NICE work! Smart thinking on all those power ports too!
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:47pm
Nice work Joe. It's your boat...do what you want with it.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 2:55pm
Joe,
The switches I'm sure will work better than the originals and they do look great. The originals sure are problematic to say the least. With the new rockers, what are you doing for overcurrent protection?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic