Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Rebuild/Buy Refurb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Rebuild/Buy Refurb
    Posted: September-18-2017 at 6:11am
Hi all

So I probably posted on here a while back about my motor taking a sip of some water after redoing the heads, I am not sure if I did something wrong or what actually happened.

But I have accepted the fact that the motor needs a rebuild, or a refurb motor.

I am just wondering what everyone's opinion is on the refurbs that are sold and if anyone has some good reliable contacts and perhaps have used them for refurb engines. Biggest cost for refurb will be find a cheap and reliable way to ship it to South Africa.

I have limited reliable mechanics here, and am also a little concerned at home much I\ll pay for a rebuild vs just going for a refurb engine and slapping the extras back on.

Thanks in advance.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 11:43am
My understanding is that the major cost of rebuilding is labour time, so I'd expect you to be able to get a rebuild done in SA for less than a refurbish engine.

That said I know Ford V8s aren't really that popular back in SA but I would imagine that you could find somebody that specialized in rebuilding them?

As far as I know the refurbs are great deals when sourced from the right place are basically good as new but I'll leave it to the exports to give better advice on that side.

Where I may be able to help is on shipping. My parents worked in shipping in SA for the majority of their lives and should be able to advise on the best and cheapest way to get an engine from the states back to SA and any issues you should be aware of. I'll message my dad and see what he says.

Also I am located in the States and happy to help however I can.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 11:48am
geecee, are you in Durban?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 11:54am
Thanks Blamey,
I have one contact for the rebuild, but I have had some very funny looks everytime I speak to people about working on this motor. Mine is the chev 350, which you'd think shouldn't be too much of an issue, but noone wants to take on something that is "reverse rotation". Right now just looking at all options to get my boat reliable and fun again/

Yes I am in Durban.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic