NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shifter replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifter replacement
    Posted: September-24-2017 at 6:34pm
As with a lot of boat owners, I'm a bit particular with the overall condition and functionality of my craft. Cleanliness is a big part of that as well, right down to the polished SS and spotless vinyl.   So one of the (many) things that bothered me about my boat purchase was, well, all of the above. Cleaning & polishing is time consuming at best but easily attained. Replacing broken or malfunctioning parts (to me) is a necessary part of the process, as funds allow of course. For me, one of these things had to include the controls as the chrome was corroded and the mechanism had become a bit sloppy.

Hence the new shifter.   ( Note: this is not a MOD, it's more of a repair    )

BEFORE:

And after:

Installed, tested and works perfectly!    I understand that most go with the CH2200 but this MV-3 works well also and was my preference.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 7:02pm
It occurred to me that someone on this site may be interested in the old controls to rebuild. I was going to toss it, but if there's anyone out there that is interested ... first one to shout gets it.   Posting today since it was pointed out with my old gauges, those that work M-F may be at a bit of a disadvantage.

Basic functionality, everything works. It was a bit sloppy with the throttle response but the shift function seems to work fine. The neutral detent is broken, so you had to be careful when shifting out of gear not to go too far and of course the lever needs to be stripped and re-chromed. Although the mechanism is obviously rusty, it's just surface deep so a good cleaning and some Rustoleum ....

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 7:12pm
What's that new hole in the boat in your third picture in the first post? That would be the "after" picture
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 7:31pm
Original hole Ken. That area is missing the padded panel surround. I've got the old one, but it is the original wood base and was not only badly rotted but was the only area of the interior that wasn't reupholstered for some reason and the vinyl is toast as well. I was waiting to get the new controls in before making a new one because at the time I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to find a suitable replacement.

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 7:39pm
Must be an optical illusion since it doesn't show up in the first picture, the "Before" shot with the old control.

Right above the Max and the 6

Maybe you moved the capacity plate?
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 7:44pm
Yeah, had to move the plate. The mounting base of the new control is markedly larger than the original and would have covered half the plate.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 7:49pm
Can't slip nothing past curious eyes

How much farther back is your throttle knob and your elbow?

Ain't I a PIA?

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 8:16pm
Not much. the new control moved forward a bit and up about a half inch or so to cover the original cutout. It wasn't quite enough to offset the bend in the lever, but close enough. My boy and I are tall enough that we always have the seat all the way back anyway. But that was a concern that I addressed when I first got it out of the box in case I would need to swap it for the 2200
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 9:53pm
Woody would like the old control box. Call 407-679-7400 or send me a text. Thanks
woodyelc
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2017 at 1:19am
Sorry Woody, I should have posted earlier but Duane beat you to it.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2017 at 11:05am
Woody, If you have a need for the shifter then I can send it to you. I was going to rebuild it and use it, but I could part with it if you need it. Just let me know.    Duane

edit: (you pay the freight) after looking up your location
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2017 at 11:35am
Hey Duane

He's in the other Vanuatu.

It's right near Orlando
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2017 at 3:17pm
That makes more sense then. The other one did not look like very good CC water.   I only googled it.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic