NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Warm(er) Climate Winterization

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
poecs13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poecs13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warm(er) Climate Winterization
    Posted: September-25-2017 at 5:41pm
Hello all,

I know that the topic of winterization has been discussed at length across this forum, but I had a difficult time finding the answer to my question. Apologies in advance if this question is answered elsewhere. If it is, please point me in the right direction!

I have been water skiing and around boats my entire life, but finally got to pick up a CC of my own earlier this summer, a 2005 Ski 206. It has been a blast! I am looking for some guidance as the winter months are approaching. I am originally from Cleveland, OH where I know boat owners do a full winter lay up in the fall and then the poor thing doesn't see the light of day until the spring. I now live in Dallas, TX where the winter months vary quite a bit. The temperatures have the potential to go below freezing but we also saw some days in the 60s and 70s last January. Being from Cleveland, the thought of water skiing in January is pretty exciting!

My question is simply is there a more minimalist winterization procedure that I can use in order to take advantage of the warm spells in North Texas throughout the winter months? I basically want to be able to take the boat in and out of winterization quickly and multiple times throughout the winter. It is stored under a covered boat lift on the lake so would be exposed to whatever the temperature is outside.

I am definitely not a gearhead like some of you are, but I am handy, have a basic working knowledge of marine engines, and a strong desire to learn. I would love to be able to handle winterization as well as basic maintenance and repairs myself. That being said, I may require a bit more detail and description of procedures as I am still getting my feet wet with owning this boat and doing the maintenance myself.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.
Charlie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2017 at 6:21pm
Here' you go Charlie

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2017 at 8:07pm
If you have the Excalibur or the 5.0L draining is a pretty easy process, remove the (2) exhaust manifold plugs, the knock sensor on the starboard side, drain plug on the port side, drain plug at the J-Tube which is adjacent to the water pump, the trans cooler plug and also drain the strainer. Use Teflon tape or paste when reinstalling everything except the knock sensor, that goes back with nothing and only needs to be tightened to like 20ft lbs. Might not be a bad idea to pull the impeller as well.
If you have a hot water shower it will likely be tapped into the block plug on the port side so just run the pump until it stops squirting water, be sure both H&C valves are on when doing this. If you have a heater just remove the red hose at the intake manifold and use your lungs to blow the water out, it will drain thru the J-Tube plug.

Of course Pete's suggestion would work as well, mine is just a bit cheaper :)
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2017 at 8:52pm
Cheaper and more reliable in case of a power loss due to an ice storm. No power = cracked block, cracked heads. Very expensive. Take 15 minutes to drain and don't worry.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2017 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

cracked block, cracked heads. Very expensive. Take 15 minutes to drain and don't worry.

+ 1 on that Charlie ....

Many years ago, 2 boats ago I drained my boat because I thought we may be done for the season but I didn't do the full winterization because it was still fairly early ( mid October, which for me is still kind of early) and I thought there may be a chance we could go out again before the weather turns. We live in southern Kansas and it usually doesn't drop below freezing overnight till sometime in November or even early December. Well, a surprise front came though much earlier that year and naturally I was out of town for the week. I spent the entire time biting my nails hoping I didn't come home to a cracked block. As it turned out, I was fine, but it could have gone the other way just as easily.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
poecs13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poecs13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2017 at 10:10am
Forgot to mention in the OP that the engine is the 6.0L ZR6 with a closed freshwater cooling system.

Owner's manual also calls for different engine oil viscosity depending on whether the ambient temperature is above or below 50 degrees, 15W-40 and 5W-30 respectively. Is this important for storage or only when the engine is in operation? I may or may not be willing to ski below 50 degrees but convincing my wife to drive me below 50 degrees maybe another story

So it sounds like as long as I drain all of the raw water out of the engine after every use I should survive? Any other precautions I should take?

Thanks for the help guys!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2017 at 1:19pm
What Pete said...

When I lived in Houston, I did not drain the engine or accessories for lay-up. I have a similar engine compartment heater as Pete showed. Never had a problem.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic