Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cutlass & Alignment question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fam-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutlass & Alignment question
    Posted: September-26-2017 at 12:29pm
Boat went through a gravel bar on the weekend and have been assessing the damage.
Prop is toast and the drive shaft has some scratches and gouges on it. Following the instructions in the Alignment 101 video the alignment appears good so I don't think the cutlass was bent.

When I was checking the alignment the driveshaft had free play in the log, is this normal or indicative of a worn cutlass bearing? I could easily move the driveshaft up/ down and left/ right to touch the sides of the log. When supported and coupler aligned it goes through the center of the log. There doesn't seem to be any play in the cutlass when I try to move it at the propeller end.

Measuring the driveshaft with a dial indicator shows 0.010 deflection between the strut and hull and 0.005 deflection behind the strut with the propeller off. Turning the drive shaft and watching the coupling doesn't show any wobble. Would it be best to test for vibration on the lake or change the driveshaft?

Thanks
Mark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2017 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Fam-Man Fam-Man wrote:

Measuring the driveshaft with a dial indicator shows 0.010 deflection between the strut and hull and 0.005 deflection behind the strut with the propeller off. Turning the drive shaft and watching the coupling doesn't show any wobble. Would it be best to test for vibration on the lake or change the driveshaft?

Thanks
Mark

Mark,
The "deflection" you are reading with the dial indicator, is that up and down and side to side or is it run out when turning the shaft?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fam-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2017 at 3:07pm
The deflection is run out when turning the shaft.
As the boat is on the trailer I would turn the shaft 1/8 of a turn and take a measurement, turn 1/8 and take a measurement.....
When I tried to read it just turning there was too much movement between boat, trailer, etc
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Fam-Man Fam-Man wrote:

The deflection is run out when turning the shaft.
As the boat is on the trailer I would turn the shaft 1/8 of a turn and take a measurement, turn 1/8 and take a measurement.....
When I tried to read it just turning there was too much movement between boat, trailer, etc

Mark,
It's best to clamp the dial indicator to the strut to eliminate movement but, it sounds like you need a new shaft. .003" max run out is considered the norm.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic