NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Mustang prop shaft questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 8:54am
working link

link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 9:48am
After reading everything, I'm wondering how you determined that the pump isn't putting out enough volume?

Could you have a carburetor issue? Have you checked that it's clean, adjusted right etc?

Are the 2 internal filter screens clean?

You mention that you have 1406's laying around, you could temporarily put one of those on for troubleshooting purposes.

Your new thermostat housing setup looks a whole lot better by the way.

For a couple of Carter M60389 pumps, they look like maybe Carter is just sourcing them from the lowest bidder these days since there are some differences in your pictures.
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 11:06am
Sorry about that. I should learn to check my links.

https://imgur.com/a/02t3h
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by chau8238 chau8238 wrote:

I'm about to buy an electric fuel pump and just bypass the mechanical all together. I will hook up a gas can when I test it some this weekend in the driveway, but I'm still thinking it's pump related.   

Phillip,
Why the electric? You have a new pump and it sure would be easy to install over hacking into the fuel lines and wiring for an electric! Try the mechanical first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 11:19am
I miss when photobucket didn't charge and it was easy to link my pictures directly to the forum. I'll just have to change and get used to a new method. Anyways, thanks for the compliment, I agree the new thermostat setup is way better and I like that the hose that goes to the recirculating water pump isn't collapsing anymore due to restriction. Between the transmission cooler being slightly clogged and the fact that all of the water went straight from the raw water pump to the transmission cooler to the recirculating pump and then just exited the motor to the exhaust since the previous setup wasn't running a thermostat. This isn't factory for my boat, but it is factory style for a newer one so I'm happy with that.

As for the fuel, I was using the plastic inline filter as my reference. When I first got the boat, you could see the gas pumping into the filter fairly quickly and it would fill it up, but once I started having issue, it was barely coming into the filter and most of it was air. Also, when the issue first arrose, if I let the boat idle, it would fill the filter up and carb I assume, so the boat would run fine for 20-30 seconds but then would start to stall like it's running out of fuel. I of course popped the cover and could watch the clear filter go from being full to empty. I have since removed the filters and it's still running out of fuel.

But for testing purposes, I do plan to grab one of my good 1406's and install it on the boat to rule out carb issues. I wish I had the factory carb or something similar to put on there, but they are out of my price range for now. And the boating season only has about a month left, so I'm just trying to make everything last until then when I will start redoing a lot of the boat. Hopefully this weekend I'll pull the boat out and do more driveway testing and swapping things around to see if the condition improves or not. I need to get my fuel pressure gauge from storage, where most of my tools are at the moment, so working on the boat has been hindered from that.

Also, the teak wood is looking a lot better now that I've started applying teak oil to it.

I agree, the carter pumps don't look to be the best of quality. I plan to take my old one apart and see how it looks internally.   
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 11:23am
I already swapped the fuel pump for the new one and it didn't seem to improve anything. I don't know if I have a bad new fuel pump or what, but I've replaced all of the lines and filters/bypassed and it still isn't running like it should. But I do plan to pull the 1409 again and check it as maybe more dirt got into it. The biggest issue with this boat is that is sat so much so there was a coating of varnish/dry fuel in the carb and it wouldn't surprise me if the lines didn't have the same.

chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 12:38pm
I forgot to mention that I did rebuild the 1409, I cleaned all of the passages and the 2 screens. I also installed new needles/seats and new gaskets everywhere. The only thing I'm not positive on is if the floats are set perfect since the motor does have an angle and I tried to compensate some for that. I am running a 5 degree wedge but it needs to be more like 10 or so to put the carb close to level.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic