NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing Questions
    Posted: October-07-2017 at 1:24pm
I have read the manuals and threads about winterizing my 92 SPN

I had a couple questions, I don't think I'm going to be able to get it in the water again before winterization.(it stinks because it's 80 today)

I did not get stabil into the tank before it last ran. If I add stabil to the tank, how do I mix it (best bet to tow it around a bit? just rock the boat back and forth a bit?). Also, I need to run the gas through the system, so I've read a lot of mixed advice on running on a garden hose, I'm thinking best bet is to disconnect the pick-up hose, hook a garden hose to it with a "T" for relief and run it that way?

Also, since I don't know what trans fluid is currently in it and I'm changing that, do I need to "flush" the fluid that's in there first, if so how best to do this while on the trailer? Do I need to run the boat and put it in and out of gear?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2017 at 5:39pm
Paul,
Hook up the engine to the garden hose so you can run it and get some stabilized fuel into it. What "mixed advice" have you heard about running on the hose?

No on flushing the trans. Pump as much as you can out of it and then put in fresh. Running the engine will get some trans fluid circulated but it's minimal and really not needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2017 at 8:53pm
Google "Timmy-T"

It is worth the effort to install.

If your trans fluid is ATF red then just use Dextron.

If it is brown (engine oil), then you might want to flush by refilling with Dextron several

Both types of oil were used so check what you have.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2017 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If it is brown (engine oil), then you might want to flush by refilling with Dextron several .

Chris,
I think you missed the word "times" at the end of your flush/refill suggestion!
BTW, I agree if it is engine oil, a flush using ATF and refill several times is recommended.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2017 at 10:00pm
Thanks all!

I had remembered something about a "T" before, so while I was at the HW store earlier today I cobbled something together before your post about Timmy-T's:

Wish I would have seen the "real" Timmy-T pictures first as I could have put something permanent in place... :)

I fired up the boat tonight and it worked great!

Also, trans fluid is red, so I won't bother flushing it out, just changing what I can with a pump.

On to winterizing and hopefully some maintenance/fixes... and thanks for the help as always (I will likely have more questions, I'll try and search first so I don't bug you all too much :) ).

Paul

pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 3:34pm
Thanks all, I winterized last Sunday. Just to double check I:

- Ran motor up to op temp on fuel with stabil, disconnected fuel line from tank and ran motor until died (fogged a bit as it died)
- Changed Oil/filter (Valvoline VR1, Mobil 1 filter), should have run after this but didn't...next year
- Pumped out as much trans fluid as possible and replaced with non-synthetic dexron III
- removed two plugs on block, two (large) plugs from exhaust manifold, one plug next to RWP on the bottom of the V tube, took apart/cleaned/emptied strainer and disconnected hoses to allow draining
- Reconnected hoses, put plugs back in on exhaust manifold
- Added RV/Marine antifreeze (-50) into hose from RWP to thermostat housing until started running out of first hole on block, plugged hole, continued to poor until started running out of other hole on block, plugged hole and continued to add 3 gallons in total

Am I missing anything major?

I have other maintenance work I want to do to the rudder (packing etc...) and some other things if I get time prior to putting in storage, but I'm assuming I'm covered here...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by pedricd pedricd wrote:

I don't see mention of draining the trans cooler.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 7:47pm
Maybe wasting time but I also unhook my speedometer tube ( @ speedo ) and back blow the tube and balance tube to clear them of any water. Figure it can't hurt.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 12:33am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I pulled the water hose from the bottom of it, is that enough?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 7:17am

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I pulled the water hose from the bottom of it, is that enough?

Yes, disconnecting the hose will do the job and is the best option. Some coolers do have drain plugs on them but care and double wrenching must be used to use the plugs. The cooler shell is a thin copper soldered together and is easily damaged.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Astrachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 12:57am
I’ve been following this thread, and others about winterizing, and I can’t figure out what people are talking about when they say to drain the transmission cooler. My 1994 ski nautique doesn’t seem to have any hoses to or from the transmission. Am I missing something?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 1:38am
This is what it looks like:

Should be a couple lines from the trans going to the cooler, the trans cooler is typically located in flow direction, after the strainer and before the raw water pump. Follow that line and you should find it, may be behind the motor mount.
Astrachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 11:08pm
Got it. Thanks!
beebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 11:27pm
pedricd:

Be careful using that clear hose on the inlet side of the water impeller. The water is pulled into the boat out of the hose/lake with a lot of suction. That hose could collapse and starve the engine of coolant. They make special steel re-enforced hoses for that reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic