NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 electrical/fuel pump issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 11:21am
Mark,I had them burn the 290 tune into my chip. At the time the 300 was not being cooperative in its download and didn't seem like it was going to happen any time soon. I thought about getting another chip and having it burned but I feel funny about bothering him,after all he would not take anything for his effort. I did send off a gift card and some giant cable ties to close the ECM back up though.
PS Mark I thought the 300 tune addressed a rolling idle issue that some had. I don't know if anything else was changed. Knock on wood mine seems to idle fine so I wasn't as concerned.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 9:56pm
Gary the C1A1 variant of the Ford EEC1V must use the same output pins on the 60 pin ECM connector as the PCM GT40.

There are many variants of the EEC1V even in Australia. I went to a local wrecking yard and cut the car loom plug and removed the 60 pin connector from a junk ECM to make up an extension cable to relocate the ECM in my Sport to far less "hostile" area under the dash.

Trip (Jander??) the pins are easy to replace in the connector just pry out the red insert and the pins are then released.

Ford Australia used the EEC1v computer on the 6cyl Falcon for quite a few years and these were very popular cars downunder. The pinout on this ECM was very different to the pinout on the Gt40.

I may have a play with this setup and source one of the C1A1 units from US along with the Moates chip and programmer/reader and see what is possible. Would be nice if you could then enhance the tune for other performance upgrades like my Megasquirt ECM.

Anyone coming downunder this year for a ski with room in luggage
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Trip (Jander??) the pins are easy to replace in the connector just pry out the red insert and the pins are then released.

It's Sander, not Jander. But.... That's great news! I hope the guy where I dropped it off realized that or found out. I'll find out tomorrow morning.
Thanks Mark!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 12:36am
I would just like to add that the original guy who figured this out had said you could also use a Ford Mustang ECM marked D1L1 in addition to the C1A1. They seem a little easier to find although I have not heard of anyone using one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 5:26pm
Aaaaannnnddd the story continues...
That took longer than expected, to get the ecm back (kind of to be expected here in Costa Rica; most everything goes slowww...). But on Friday I put the ecm back in and it worked!
Went wakeboarding yesterday, rode a couple sets with some friends; all good! All pleased, idling back to the dock... boat dead...       
NO WAY! This can't be happening.... Exact some issue AGAIN.
The pin of the connector is still firmly in place. Checked the relays, nothing there. This is driving me mad, got it to work 3 times, every single time it works fine for only one day.

Haven't been able to buy another ecm and the chip yet, but I'll be working on that today. Fingers crossed that solves it...
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 7:06am
Sander looks like the ECM may have seen too many heat cycles. Once it gets too warm now it becomes unstable. You can prove this by letting it cool for 30 mins or so. Lift the engine cover and wait 30 mins. Then try to restart.

After a bit more research it appears the ECM they found compatible is from a 2.3 litre 4 cyl Mustang. These ECM's used the same batch fire method for the injectors as PCM did with the GT40.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 1:56pm
Went to check yesterday but same thing, so temperature doesn't seem to have any influence. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Yes I saw it's the 91-93 4 cylinder Mustang, ecm code C1A1 or D1L1. I think the former is for manual, latter for automatic. Both supposedly work.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 10:47am
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 11:35am
Here is what I understand Paul from a question on the eectuning.org site

Question-
"I believe the part number to be F4FF-12A650-LB. The PCM service manual listed the ecm as -12A650- and I checked the ecm last night and could only find a non-ford looking sticker with the other numbers."

Answer-
"12A650 is the ford designation for ecu, as in pretty much any ecu.

F4FF narrows it down to year and vehicle model to some extent.

LB is the specific part, for both hardware/software in this case.

The number that will help us help you is the hardware code from the label. Hence the request for pics.

Any other EEC with the same hardware code can be chipped with software from your part."

"EFI-MA39C is the hardware code,E290 or 300 is the catchcode which encompasses software and hardware by association".

The ECM's marked with C1A1 or D1L1 are the ones to use which Rock Auto is not telling you.

Here is the original thread on eec.org,they are the guy's who helped the OP figure this out. Makes for a good read.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 4:35pm
Just thought it might help find some ECM’s guess there is more info needed
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 12:40am
Update, again: had the ecm checked by a lab where they confirmed it went bad. Luckily in the mean time had ordered an ecm off Ebay and bought the chip that I had shipped to Tom from PN who put the software on it and sent it off to CR. Already have the ecm, hoping to receive the chip in the next 2 days.
Hopefully back in business soon!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 1:26am
Which tune is Tom doing for you,the 290 or the 300? I had him do the 290 for me since the 300 hadn't been cracked yet. Wondering if it's worth it to get the 300 also.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 10:54am
I'm not even sure, never discussed that. Assuming the 300 though since that's the updated version, right? So no reason to use the 290 then. I'll check with him though and will let you know if it does turn out to be the 290.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 12:10pm
Yes the 300 is the newest one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
justiwhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote justiwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2020 at 12:49pm
I went through this whole forum and found that some of the issues fixed it for a couple of days and then I was back to square one. I found my problem. Please see my video for details:https://youtu.be/9Cg3aFHsPZU
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2020 at 7:10pm
Justin, this is a very cool discovery. I would have never stumbled upon this as an issue. Congrats on the solution. I would be very curious to know if this was a widespread manufacturing issue with the ECU.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2020 at 8:14pm
That's awesome!  Congrats on the fix.  That's an obscure one.

Nice sounding exhaust too.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2020 at 5:01am
Justin,
Thanks for your troubleshooting and making the very detailed video. I sure feel it will help anyone who has problems with their ECU.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2020 at 9:03am
Great find. Just sent the video to two gt40 owners. Thanks!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic