NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Douglas Fir

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Douglas Fir
    Posted: October-14-2017 at 8:53pm
If anyone is planning a stringer job in the near future, lives east of the Rockies and plans on using doug fir, I suggest going shopping now.. Today at work I just got the word that due to the fires out west, the doug fir will be very hard to come by in a couple months. HD distribution centers in the Midwest have already started shipping inventory west.

Also of interest is the HD Rhinelander store is very low on drywall. Today we were down to about 15% of what we normally carry in the store. Distribution has been sending it south due to the flooding!

I'd say plywood and LVL will be next. Supply can not keep up with the demand.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2017 at 9:56pm
Maybe it's about time people quite building houses out of sticks and crushing berries to color them ...........
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 6:48am
speaking of doug fir, what alternatives are there other than coosa ?

I pulled the floor this weekend and its not pretty, will patch it for this season seeing as though we are heading into summer but next year I think its stringer time
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 7:09am
Is LVL (laminated veneer lumber) or a equal available in SA? Here, it's used for beams and headers in wood frame construction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 7:16am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Is LVL (laminated veneer lumber) or a equal available in SA? Here, it's used for beams and headers in wood frame construction.

A quick google search did find one supplier of LVL in the country
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 9:25am
How can that stuff be any good for lagging the engine down due to the grain?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

How can that stuff be any good for lagging the engine down due to the grain?

Bruce,
Take a look at the grain direction on LVL and compare that to the grain direction of solid lumber. The grain runs in the same direction. Then, add the resorcinol to the LVL and you have a material that holds threads better than a sold piece of lumber!! It seems to me that you have never worked with LVL!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 9:50am
I have never worked with LVL.. The grain looks similar to laminated plywood wood.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The grain looks similar to laminated plywood wood.

Bruce,
LVL is made up with layers of veneer just like plywood sheets but, unlike plywood where the veneers alternate grain direction, all the veneer grain direction in a LVL runs the same direction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 10:09am
Then, add the resorcinol to the LVL and you have a material that holds threads better than a sold piece of lumber!!
[/QUOTE]

X2. Lag screws hold better in a LVL better than a solid that's more septible to splitting. I would trust it 10x over
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 10:19am
Not too far off topic but when I have done stringer jobs for inboard engines using timber or plywood for stringers I have always capped the engine bearers with 2 inches of white oak when laminating it together. Its easy to find and cheap, wont rot and holds fasteners like nobodies business. Typical inboard stringers would be two layers of 1" marine ply laminated together with a sammich layer of 1708 and epoxy then capped in oak for engine bearers and rudder tables. I have built boats like this for a long time with no issue. A small ski boat though I would use timber or composite.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Then, add the resorcinol to the LVL and you have a material that holds threads better than a sold piece of lumber!!

Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

X2. Lag screws hold better in a LVL better than a solid that's more septible to splitting. I would trust it 10x over

Then when using it for stringers, the suggested CPES treatment further enhances thread holding especially if you treat the lag pilot holes. Also, if you use traditional lags over the newer structural rated self drilling fasteners, drilling proper sized pilot and clearance (for the shank) holes is important.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 3:54pm
Yes, I failed to say pre drill. I don't think it's been mentioned but there is a significant weight difference also, LVL's will weigh more. although I doubt you'd notice it when the projects all done.
Quite honestly let's be honest when was the last time somebody came on this forum and said they ripped an engine right out of the boat from the torq because the lag screws didn't hold. And the thousands of rotten stringers out there with boats still in use. Are we over engineering things? Definitely better than orginal
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Yes, I failed to say pre drill. I don't think it's been mentioned but there is a significant weight difference also, LVL's will weigh more. although I doubt you'd notice it when the projects all done.
Quite honestly let's be honest when was the last time somebody came on this forum and said they ripped an engine right out of the boat from the torq because the lag screws didn't hold. And the thousands of rotten stringers out there with boats still in use. Are we over engineering things? Definitely better than orginal

+1
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic